Must have desert after dinner

Options
How can one get rid of such problem? I always have to have anything sweet after eating lunch or dinner. I wait a few minutes before eating desert. It is so bad. How can I get rid of this way of thinking or this craving I always get? HOW? ....

Replies

• SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    Did you mean dessert(something sweet) or desert(not so sweet)?
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I eat dessert before dinner... that's when I eat dessert..

but to really answer your question..

I am currently battling a sweet tooth. I bought some grapes and have a few of those before bed time. It's helping.

I stay far away from the desert though.. my advice would be dont' go there in the first place..
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I am the same exact way :smile: Usually I eat like a spoonful of peanut butter, LOL, or will have a protein shake and add coconut extract to it. Usually helps!
  • annettepiha
    Options
    I usually realize that I am not really hungry, but am actually thirsty. (I have a weird habit of not drinking anything while I eat.) Maybe try to quench a thirst with a glass of water and wait to see if you need something else. Maybe it's just out of habit that you think you need something sweet?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    First, don't consider the fact that you like sweet things "a problem." Look at your food diary and figure out what you can have that's sweet that will fit into your dietary plan. Incorporate whatever that is into your overall diet.
  • annettepiha
    Options
    Did you mean dessert(something sweet) or desert(not so sweet)?
    Really? Why do you need to ask this? You obviously understand the question. Sigh.
  • conquertheself
    conquertheself Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone!!
  • conquertheself
    Options
    I am the same exact way :smile: Usually I eat like a spoonful of peanut butter, LOL, or will have a protein shake and add coconut extract to it. Usually helps!

Yes I do that too! Although instead of one spoonful of peanut-butter I'd have two or three :\
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I've stopped buying sweet stuff (ice cream is my vice). If I don't have it in the house, I won't eat it and I'm too lazy to get out to buy some. It's helped a lot and usually a fruit or gum will curb the sweet tooth. If that doesn't work, get something low fat and have one serving.
  • mhendrickson6
    mhendrickson6 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I also love sweets I am one who used to polish off a pint of my favorite ice cream in one sitting. What I found helps me is having mini candy bars or the dove dark chocolate hearts when I feel a sweet craving I can pop one of those in and a lot of times curb my craving. I also Love pop so I have learned to cut back on it and am recently getting into Coffee with a little bit of a good creamer it gives me some of the caffeine I need and some of the sweetness I crave. The calories you will save from being able to cut the portion size is Huge!
  • apellen
    apellen Posts: 2
    Options
    If you need something sweet try warming Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk in the microwave and adding a tablespoon of Dark Chocolate Cocoa. You can even substitute for Sweetened Almond Milk if you need something more.

It's like healthy hot chocolate and tastes amazing!
  • conquertheself
    Options
    I usually realize that I am not really hungry, but am actually thirsty. (I have a weird habit of not drinking anything while I eat.) Maybe try to quench a thirst with a glass of water and wait to see if you need something else. Maybe it's just out of habit that you think you need something sweet?

Oh yes definitely! I read in an article once, that sometimes we mistake thirst for hunger. I actually consume more than 10 glasses of water a day so it is not thirst. I think it is a habit because I have tried to change that way of thinking but it always comes back. I always have to eat something sweet.
  • MissLeelooDallas
    MissLeelooDallas Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    First, don't consider the fact that you like sweet things "a problem." Look at your food diary and figure out what you can have that's sweet that will fit into your dietary plan. Incorporate whatever that is into your overall diet.

^ That. I love sweet stuff and refused to give it up when I started all of this. I eat desserts almost every day (sometimes more than one). I just work it into my calories by knowing that I'll be indulging in the evening.
  • ladyluc123
    ladyluc123 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello
    I'm exactly the same. Recently started with some berries, natural yoghurt, seeds and some agave nectar! The first day i was like " damn this is no chocolate replacement" but after a week i've found that it stops the actual sugar cravings if u stick with it. I didn't and need to fet focussed again
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Have something sweet! Maybe less of it!

I have dessert every night. I know that I will, so I make sure to fit it into my calorie alottment for the day.

What's life without the stuff we enjoy in it?

Moderation becomes your friend in these situations.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    How can one get rid of such problem? I always have to have anything sweet after eating lunch or dinner. I wait a few minutes before eating desert. It is so bad. How can I get rid of this way of thinking or this craving I always get? HOW? ....

Brushing your teeth right after dinner may help. Otherwise, keep some lower calorie desserts on hand and save room for the calories.

I find fruit and cocoa roast almonds the perfect dessert most days.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    If I have enough calories, I'll eat chocolate something like ice cream or a bar or cake.
    If I only have 100-200, I love Fage plain Greek yoghurt with a sprinkling of cinnamon, a tblsp. of chopped walnuts and a tblsp. of honey mixed in. So satisfying and tasty!
    In season, I love lots of watermelon!
    Oh and of course:
    Berries
    Cuties
    Oranges
    Apples
    Pears
    Grapes
    Etc., etc., and so on and so forth.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    If you need something sweet try warming Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk in the microwave and adding a tablespoon of Dark Chocolate Cocoa. You can even substitute for Sweetened Almond Milk if you need something more.

It's like healthy hot chocolate and tastes amazing!
    I love this too! Soooooo good!
  • lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cow ice cream bars! I have one every night.
  • Beet_Girl
    Beet_Girl Posts: 102
    Options
    I am that way, and I have a square of fancy dark chocolate. I get the expensive good stuff. It's rich, so just a little is more likely to satisfy. And, since I paid a lot, I'm not going to eat the whole bar at once!