Must have desert after dinner

Options

Replies

• maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    I love Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches. And I am NOT a "diet food" fan, but something about them... they're addictive. And only 150 calories.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    There is a thread under the recipes section that tells you how to make a "mug" of angel food cake. It's super low calorie and easy to make. You could probably just google it.
  • rachelg145
    rachelg145 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Third vote for Skinny Cow - but I go for the ice cream sandwich. Fruit. Also, if you can control yourself, girl scout cookies (if you eat two) are not bad. Just get them out, put the box away, LEAVE THE KITCHEN and eat them somewhere else so you don't immediately get more out.

Decide in the morning what you're going to have, log it in the morning and then you'll leave enough in your calorie budget for it and you can look forward to it all day ;)
  • Nadoriel
    Nadoriel Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I always eat dessert after lunch and dinner. And usually have cake, muffins or bread by tea time, and sometimes even some chocolate squares O.o my calorie goal is 1869 a day, and I'm loosing weight and fat steady for about 5 months. I just bake everything myself and make sure I include every calorie in the recipe. Plus I use sweateners and less fat (but still use fat). I'm even on the process of making my own chocolate now :) sweet and low cal, homemade chocolate from scratch. Food is about having fun!

I seriously don't think that eating dessert is bad for your health. Most include milk/eggs/yogurt/jelly/fruit.. I mean seriously why avoid this and end up binge eating everything else?
  • ontherightpath14
    ontherightpath14 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I find a couple pieces of dark chocolate help. Not too sweet but it's chocolate which makes me feel like I am having dessert. I have also made popsicles out of sugar free chocolate pudding. So yummy!
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I usually have a piece of dark chocolate. OR, I add a steviia and cinnamon or unsweetened cocoa to plain, fat-free greek yogurt... makes iit kind of like a high protein pudding :P
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I eat dessert every day.

Like-

A mug of nestle fat free hot chocolate

2 Hershey kisses

A popsicle

Sugar free pudding/jello

1/2 cup sliced strawberries with a table spoon of redi whip

Yummy!!!
  • mlanders22
    mlanders22 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I always have pre-portioned ice cream treats in my freezer. I eat one every night.

PS - lots of people mentioned Skinny Cow products, but if you look at the labels of other brands (Snickers, Twix, etc) the nutrition is pretty much the same and in my opinion taste better (and are always cheaper).
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    If you like dessert after dinner... then what's the deal? Save some calories for a snack? Unless you plan on eating sugar free jello and carrot sticks as your extra calories for the rest of your life (I'm not knocking either, I actually love carrots but I'm not kidding myself that they will ever take up that place in my heart for cookies and ice cream). Why not just plan for some fun calories? This is about making this sustainable and most importantly enjoyable. You're less likely to stick this out if you feel you have to inadvertently punish yourself along the way.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I went with low cal choices for a while. If you like cakey stuff, Vitatops are incredible. They're a bit pricey and hard to find (at least in my area) but that was good in a way for me because it helped me kick the habit. I also liked Special K bars - they're like granola bars but with chocolate chips and/or drizzle. Really sweet but usually 120 cal or less.

My other solution was to develop my taste for really good dark chocolate. Like the Ghiradelli 86% cacoa squares. They're kind of bitter at first when you're used to milk chocolate but you get used to them. I never thought I'd say this but they're decadent enough that one square is usually enough.

Mostly though, I made an effort to move on to fruit instead of junk when I wanted something sweet. I eat an apple with my sandwich and have a banana in the afternoon. And sometimes I have trail mix that's got dried fruit or chocolate bits in it.

The most important thing is portion control. As long as it fits into your calorie goal, go for it. Good luck!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I like to have something sweet after a meal too. At dinner I allot myself calories for ice cream. For lunch I do something smaller like a piece of fruit or a mini candy bar.

Just work whatever you'd like to have into your day.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I also must have dessert after dinner (Usually a serving of ice cream and some cookies)

I'm not sure what the problem with that is, so I have no help to offer.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Don't get rid of it because it's not a problem. Eat dessert if you want it. If it fits into your goals, that is. I find a cup of strawberries to be the perfect dessert - sweet AND healthy. Dessert doesn't have to be a bit hot fudge sundae. Some fruit or even frozen yogurt works just fine.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Almost every night; 1 packet of Dole Dark Chocolate Strawberry Dippers! 60 cals/6 carbs...Total YUM! So satisfying and the prepackaged "treat" makes it easy...feels like a cheat but it's not

ETA: Listed the cals and carbs because I could remember those. Point being that they are very easy to fit into macros. Point NOT being that I only track cals and carbs. :wink:
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I just always plan on something sweet after dinner. Sometimes before dinner. Chocolate, ice cream, etc... today it's a piece of a bakery cupcake!! CAN'T WAIT!!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I like something a little sweet after dinner, too. I've taken from the restaurant industry and have a piece of hard candy. A mint, butterscotch or Jolly Rancher lasts long enough to give me sugary satisfaction for only a couple of calories.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I eat a 100 calorie deep chocolate vitatop after lunch and dinner about 99 times out of 100. I don't see a problem working dessert into your calorie budget. You don't get bonus points for suffering.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    bust out the food scale- measure out your ice cream servings and have at it.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Dove Bliss chocolate bite things are low in calories, and 5 is a pretty decent serving.

Brookside Farms makes these dark chocolate goji berry bites that are DIVINE-- and pretty low calorie.

Skinny cow is good too.

I don't think there's a point to resisting it when you crave dessert. I just like to keep it around 200 calories.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I eat desert every night...nothing wrong with eating desert...you fit it in just like anything else. I'm partial to dark chocolate, but I have some ice cream from time to time and I love my wife's homemade chocolate chip cookies, but she doesn't make them often enough.