about ready to give up

Options

Replies

• Queen_Sugar
    Queen_Sugar Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I get down on myself too, this weekend I know I over ate my son turn 2. I've been trying to lose the baby weight for 2 yrs and yes it's an emotional roller coaster for me But tomorrow is another day. If you doing the right exercise 10 min a day is all you need. Also raise your calorie to 1320 because 1200 is just to low or go to 1500 calories. Please feel free to add me if you would like. :smile:
  • soosun
    soosun Posts: 128
    Options
    First be realistic! My daughter has lost 65 lbs in a a year and has maintined it but it does take time. She wants to lose30 more lbs but is struggling so has put more emphasis on strength training and aerobi exercise, until she is ready to resume calorie counting. During her weight loss she started at 1600 - 1800 calories a day and slowly dropped her calorie consumption as she lost weight. You need to realize that it will take time but any loss is a loss that is gone from your body so you will succeed. But you have to decide each day what you will eat and what you will do. Sometimes I work more on food and sometimes I work more on exercise but I try to do one thing each day even it it is only vacumming for exercise! Do ont give up. Good luck. You can do anything you want---gain or lose, exercise or not, but you are the only one who puts food in your mouth and exercise your body as you wish,
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    6lb a month is 72lb a year. Now that's some serious weight loss. Spout that at your family when they are saying you're not trying hard enough. 6lb is a good weight to lose per month. Well done.
    Hang in there lots of people are rooting for you :bigsmile:

This. You can do it. You ARE doing it. One day at a time.
  • melissa0371969
    Options
    Please don't give up. Your weight loss was great this month. I agree with the other posters that maybe you should raise your calories a little higher so you don't feel deprived. And you get a lot more bang for the buck with vegetables, so load up on them when eating.

I have Multiple Sclerosis so exercising is not easy for me. But 5 mins of movement is better than no movement. Keep trying....you can do this!!!
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I am about ready to give up AGAIN on trying to lose weight. I've been trying my best (although family says I'm not trying good enough) to stay on 1200 calories per day. At first I was a few calories under and now I'm going too far over. Watching calories is hard. To date have lost 6 pounds over last month (about). But 3 of those pounds I keep gaining back, then lose, then gain, then lose. Frustrating. I know that I need to exercise but find it very hard to start since I cannot keep it up for more than a couple of minutes or more before lower back pain starts. Maybe I'm just better off feeling like the Good Year Blimp". :sad: :cry: :indifferent:

Hang in there, Rubi! I occasionally deal with lower back pain. All I can do is take some aspirin or run some warm water on my back (to relax the muscles). But do stay with it. Sometimes we gain what we have back or get stuck in one place. But we do eventually move again.
  • Raynidays3367
    Options
    AS others have said DON'T give up! And remember who you are doing this for - is it for you or for your family (or maybe a bit of both?). You don't say how tall you are, or how heavy but my bet is that you are trying to impose to low a calorie limit to each day and therefore setting yourself up for failure. This is LIFESTYLE change, NOT a diet, although there IS a weight-loss phase to it.

I notice you say you have back pain - has this been attended to? As someone who injured her back in a car accident and had to give up nursing as a result, I can tell you a helluva a lot about back pain. A great deal of it is down to posture, both when sitting and standing/walking and breaking habits of a lifetime are really hard and sometimes it hurts to stand and walk properly. So, may I give you a bit of advice?

1. Go and see an Osteopath (no, NOT a Chiropractor - an Osteopath). They are trained in every aspect or what your bones are doing and will look at your posture etc and, if they need to, will manipulate your neck, shoulders, spine and legs to help you stand and walk properly. It may take a few treatments but it works!

2. Go swimming. Lie on your back and do life-savers kicking (you don't need to do proper back stroke). Then try swimming on your front - crawl or breaststroke as you please. You may find this is damned uncomfortable at first because when you lie in the water, your back naturally goes into its proper alignment (i.e. the curve of your lower back - the lordosis of your spine) and the water takes the rest of the weight. Get to learn to feel what that proper posture feels like, then try walking upright in the pool and maintain that shape. It can take a while to learn it but again, it works if your persevere!

3. Go to a really good Pilates class. This works on strengthening your inner core muscles which support your spine. It takes about 4 - 6 weeks of weekly classes and a bit of daily work at home to make a huge difference but again, this works!

I'm writing the above because these have worked for me who had agonising pain for about 6 years. I started this regime 20 years ago and now I am virtually pain free and have been for most of those 20 years. I go to the osteopath maybe once in 18 months-2 years but I swim whenever I can and I do Pilates at home every day.

It takes hard work to get your back in shape but believe me it IS worth it!

I second this. However, I would hold of on the Pilates until you get the okay from your Osteopath first. Depending on the damage causing your pain, repetitive motion could make things worse.
    I have suffered with moderate to severe back pain for the past 10 years. I understand how painful it is to get up and get started. Once you gain a little strength, I promise you, you will feel much better and be able to go further...and further...before you know it...you are THERE!
    If your back hurts, then swim! Get in the water and move! You got this!
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    In addition to your efforts please relax!!!! You can add Rasberry ketones to your regimen, and they will help burn your calories effortlessly. I repeat effortlessly! Dr Oz recommends this. I lost 12 pounds the first Month. Also look for a book Jumpstart your metabolism by Pam Grout. She is a breathing Coach. Try the geometric breathing exercise, but most of all do the Bikini Bay Watch breathing exercises everyday, and that will help to burn some of those calories as well. Good Luck!!!

All the advice is this thread works. Except this. ^

You can do this! We all have to find patience within to follow through.
  • brendame29
    Options
    Hello

I just started this week, I need to loose about 40 pounds, this week I think I've lost maybe 2-3 pounds,
    I've done some research and here is what I'm doing:

Keep your calories between 600-1000 to start and need to exercise 5 days a week how, portion control is key:
    in the morning take a protein shake not to gain weight but to loose weight, my friends are using Herbal Life, I am using another brand (you will not feel as hungry) or if you want to eat 1 hard boil egg (eat egg white only), or you can have oat meal, this will make you feel fuller and will add fiber to your diet which helps you loose weight,

keep drinking water in between meals and snacks this will make you feel full as well,

then a fruit and then you have your lunch, ie salad and lean chicken breast, do not add dressing, make your own, for example: lemon, salt and pepper or grab some plain non fat yogurt and mix it with cilantro some salt/pepper or do variations with basil, cucumber, wasabi, ginger, etc you will have a creamy dressing without the calories of a conventional dressing mix

water and snack again and then dinner go really light

forget rice, sodas, breads, potatoes, cookies, ice cream, even nuts and pastas for now at the beginning or the meals in the box, they have a really high sodium and that will only increase your water retention, try to eat a lot vegetables and some fruits check the caloric intake before you eat them like bananas, pineapple, oranges, etc.

also I use some natural pills fat burner that just came out, which have raspberry ketones, CLA, green tea and some other key element to loose weight, and they suppress your appetite
    the first week I also used a cleansing pill from Jillian Michaels to clean up your intestines, this will eliminate waste from your intestines to get the energy flow of your exercise and also make loose some pounds not of fat but waste.

Exercise:
    Since you seem to have problems with your back, I would start with walking 15-30 minutes, brisk walking even if you don't move fast enough but move your arms too or swimming which will be the ideal for you because of your back pain there some exercises in the pool that will take away the stress on your back but I don't know how much access you have to one.

For me the elliptical works great, because you don't put much pressure, but when I first did it years ago I could only last 15 minutes, it was really hard, now I'm able to do 60 minutes which burns around 600 calories which is wonderful, I've tried the other machines an this is the one that burns the most calories per minute compare to bike and thread mill but it takes time to build up to it, but totally worth it, if you can do 15 minutes that's around 150 calories, you can always do bike not to cool off and then comeback, just don't go to high on the pedals because of your back problem.

Hope this helps.
  • dizzow
    dizzow Posts: 65
    Options
    I understand about the back pain, it's very intimidating and makes you want to do nothing but sit; but that's a reason we've gotten to this place!. Barring any injuries, keep trying, keep going, even if you have to only exercise or walk for 5 minutes at a time. Then increase it a little bit each week. When I started this, I could only walk a few minutes without my back hurting so much, I would have to hang onto the treadmill bars for support and only went about 1.8mph. Over time I've been able to increase quite a bit.

One thing you need to realize, besides the sitting is that our fat-filled bellies pull outward, pulling the lower back forward. That's a real strain on them, and also, its likely that your abdominal muscles are weak, which allows that wt to pull even more. I really suggest that you begin working on those ab muscles, it helps a lot, trust me- I know. If getting on the floor is not something you can do, you can do many of the floor type ones on your bed. or other feasible flat areas. It may not work as well as the floor, but it's a start. You can find videos on you tube. I think I searched, non-floor ab exercises. Take time to stretch your back as well.

I also agree with everyone about the calorie intake.
    Don't give up. Educate yourself, make small do-able goals and keep going-- even when you make mistakes. Don't give up.
  • SEAFOODMAN
    SEAFOODMAN Posts: 342
    Options
    I would up it to 1500 calories...............1200 will make you go crazy and want to quit
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hello

I just started this week, I need to loose about 40 pounds, this week I think I've lost maybe 2-3 pounds,
    I've done some research and here is what I'm doing:

Keep your calories between 600-1000 to start and need to exercise 5 days a week how, portion control is key:
    in the morning take a protein shake not to gain weight but to loose weight, my friends are using Herbal Life, I am using another brand (you will not feel as hungry) or if you want to eat 1 hard boil egg (eat egg white only), or you can have oat meal, this will make you feel fuller and will add fiber to your diet which helps you loose weight,

keep drinking water in between meals and snacks this will make you feel full as well,

then a fruit and then you have your lunch, ie salad and lean chicken breast, do not add dressing, make your own, for example: lemon, salt and pepper or grab some plain non fat yogurt and mix it with cilantro some salt/pepper or do variations with basil, cucumber, wasabi, ginger, etc you will have a creamy dressing without the calories of a conventional dressing mix

water and snack again and then dinner go really light

forget rice, sodas, breads, potatoes, cookies, ice cream, even nuts and pastas for now at the beginning or the meals in the box, they have a really high sodium and that will only increase your water retention, try to eat a lot vegetables and some fruits check the caloric intake before you eat them like bananas, pineapple, oranges, etc.

also I use some natural pills fat burner that just came out, which have raspberry ketones, CLA, green tea and some other key element to loose weight, and they suppress your appetite
    the first week I also used a cleansing pill from Jillian Michaels to clean up your intestines, this will eliminate waste from your intestines to get the energy flow of your exercise and also make loose some pounds not of fat but waste.

Exercise:
    Since you seem to have problems with your back, I would start with walking 15-30 minutes, brisk walking even if you don't move fast enough but move your arms too or swimming which will be the ideal for you because of your back pain there some exercises in the pool that will take away the stress on your back but I don't know how much access you have to one.

For me the elliptical works great, because you don't put much pressure, but when I first did it years ago I could only last 15 minutes, it was really hard, now I'm able to do 60 minutes which burns around 600 calories which is wonderful, I've tried the other machines an this is the one that burns the most calories per minute compare to bike and thread mill but it takes time to build up to it, but totally worth it, if you can do 15 minutes that's around 150 calories, you can always do bike not to cool off and then comeback, just don't go to high on the pedals because of your back problem.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, anything under 1,200 calories should be accompanied with doctor supervision. Period. I take several medications, so I get it. I have a great relationship with my doctor and everything I did, I checked with him first. Have you talked with your doctor about your weight loss goals? I would be surprised if he/she didn't recommend upping your calories to the 1,500 range, like many have suggested.

And I like what someone else pointed out - you are on pace to lose 72 pounds in one year! Take pride in that and use it to keep going on the dark days. There will always be dark days. But they will be fewer than the good days. It took me almost exactly two years to lose 40 pounds, which makes my pace about a fourth of yours.

Please do not give up!
  • ruibineileen
    ruibineileen Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Its been at least two weeks since I change my weigh loss goal to 1 pound and week and increased my calories. Good news is I'm no longer hungry. Bad news is instead of losing I'm GAINING. So that plan backfired. Guess I'll decrease my calories again and see what happens.
  • ublanchard
    Options
    Its been at least two weeks since I change my weigh loss goal to 1 pound and week and increased my calories. Good news is I'm no longer hungry. Bad news is instead of losing I'm GAINING. So that plan backfired. Guess I'll decrease my calories again and see what happens.

I think you should give it more than 2 weeks before you abandon the higher calorie count. Like others have said, 3 pounds can be water weight. Just make sure you're accurately logging your food.

I'm someone who had 100 pounds to lose (now it's down to 70!) and for me, I had to let go of the idea that I would lose all this weight. I don't mean I *gave up* on it, but that I had to live in the present with my goals. So I tried to mentally put aside my thoughts about being too fat, or how much weight I had to lose, or how angry or ashamed at myself I was about having gained so much weight. There's nothing I can do about what's in the past. The only thing I can change is what I do today and tomorrow.
  • mistiblake08
    mistiblake08 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lose 53lbs minimum and am eating 1600-1800 calories a day. I eat if I get hungry; I never deprive myself. That's where I've messed up all these years trying to lose the weight. I'd deprive myself until I binged and then I binged and then I binged. This time has been so much easier. I'm eating a snack a day, sometimes two, to keep from depriving myself. I have only lost a lb since doing this, but I've lost 15 total since December when I started my new (and more strenuous) job. I can see the difference looking in the mirror whether the scales say so or not. You have to gain muscle to burn fat and that means your weight is going to go up sometimes before it goes back down.

My motivation is hanging on my fridge for me to see every day. I took a dry erase board and drew all of the things that are my push to keep going with my weight loss: graduation next month, my dogs being able to go to the park to run with me eventually, a better career, size 6 pants, etc. It also says 'train insane or remain the same'. I see it every morning and I see it every night. It keeps me going.
  • coconuttjd
    Options
    I think if you share your vitals here, people here will help you with the calculations to figure out your calorie and macro needs.

Things they'll need are:
    height
    weight
    descriptions of daily activity level (not including exercise)
    description of exercise (separate from work and household/domestic activities)

And of course, your target weight.

People here are very helpful.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    So don't eat 1200 calories. Eat 1500 calories. I weigh 131 and can still lose weight eating 1425. Plus I'm not miserable. I would rather lose 1 pound a week instead of two and enjoy life. It's probably healthier that way anyway.

Yes. This isn't supposed to be a punishment. It's a lifestyle change. If you're doing it right, you shouldn't be miserable. Don't rush - take your time. :flowerforyou:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

Have you been measuring and weighing all your food? Guesstimating usually results in people eating more than they think they are. Unless you have a medical issue (check with your doctor) you should not be gaining while on a deficit.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I suggest you change your diary setting to Public. It will help you be more accurate and accountable to yourself and will allow others to give you specific pointers, IMO.
  • ruibineileen
    Options
    I think if you share your vitals here, people here will help you with the calculations to figure out your calorie and macro needs.

Things they'll need are:
    height
    weight
    descriptions of daily activity level (not including exercise)
    description of exercise (separate from work and household/domestic activities)

And of course, your target weight.

People here are very helpful.

My height is 5 foot 5 inches
    My current weight is 244 pounds
    My goal weight is 130 but would like to be 120/125
    My activity level is nil beyond light housework.
    My exercise is nothing more than a very short walk dogs.

Exercise a big problem. Motivating myself or finding easy exercises to start out. I figure if I start with an exercise that is not going to cause more back pain than I already have I can gradually work up the muscle strength I need for other exercises. Right now just vacuuming or sweeping one floor will cause pain enough to make me stop and rest.

I'm searching for a really good kitchen scale, digital kind, so I can more accurately measure my food.
  • ruibineileen
    Options
    I suggest you change your diary setting to Public. It will help you be more accurate and accountable to yourself and will allow others to give you specific pointers, IMO.

Changed my diary setting to Public, so if anyone has any suggestions.

I know that sometimes my food chose is not the best for weight loss.