Will Ensure help me gain healthy weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't think very highly of a doctor who told me a great way to eat was a vitamin fortified milk shake. Sorry.

I disagree. There are lots of reasons to drink them. My husband was in a coma for 9 days and in the hospital for 25 days. Doctors encouraged him to drink the shakes for the added vitamins and to gain the 20 pounds he lost while in a coma.

Once he was on the right track and gaining weight he went off them.
  • magurski
    magurski Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion (and I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum from you, so take it as you will) is that it's better to eat real foods than something that you end up paying someone for in order to get some "advantage". This goes for both weight gain and weight loss. In either case, if someone is touting a benefit, their actual goal isn't to help you, it's to keep you paying them. If you want to gain weight, look into natural foods like nuts, oils, etc. If you want to lose weight, cut the foods that lead to gains like pasta, breads, etc. Any program that promotes buying foods from them has zero incentive to allow you to reach your goal. Figure out your macros (carbs, protein, fat), and find whole, natural foods that meet them. 70ish pounds down, without any quick fixes or "official" weight loss plans have basically proven that to me. Hopefully, you can find the same.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I just worry about being all flabby. To be honest I've never been toned. I worry about how much muscle I've lost. Since I've never been a toned gal (I only use a stationary bike up to now) will it even make a difference? I know muscle weighs more than fat. So this is what I mean by healthy weight, I really don't have a desire to turn to junk food. But these seem to have a lot of sugar (23 grams) and carbs (40 grams). The fat content seems low, I think it was 6 or 9 grams..

I'm not sure I understand your questions. If you are hoping the ensure will provide nutritious calories which will fuel your body so you can workout better, which will give you a more toned body, then yes - a fine choice

If you are hoping that the weight you gain from ensure will be toned and not flabby, then no it won't make any difference what you eat. Extra calories alone will be gained as fat.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion (and I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum from you, so take it as you will) is that it's better to eat real foods than something that you end up paying someone for in order to get some "advantage". This goes for both weight gain and weight loss. In either case, if someone is touting a benefit, their actual goal isn't to help you, it's to keep you paying them. If you want to gain weight, look into natural foods like nuts, oils, etc. If you want to lose weight, cut the foods that lead to gains like pasta, breads, etc. Any program that promotes buying foods from them has zero incentive to allow you to reach your goal. Figure out your macros (carbs, protein, fat), and find whole, natural foods that meet them. 70ish pounds down, without any quick fixes or "official" weight loss plans have basically proven that to me. Hopefully, you can find the same.

I mean, yes and no. I get not paying somebody for "diet food" because part of the process is learning how to eat sustainably for the long term.

But I also pay for a cleaning service. I get that their goal is to make money, but it's still an essential convenience for me since my kids are still small. I need a little boost to meet some minimum requirements right now.

Sometimes paying for conveniences are just that...I mean, you can make your own peanut butter too, but who does?

Not that I'm arguing that this is or should be a long term solution. The OP makes it sound like her goal is to eat more food - and that is what I would recommend from my layperson's point of view.