Help me decide where in the USA to visit next summer!

Options

Replies

• Azchange
    Azchange Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Come to Arizona.
    Fly in to Phoenix, but stay in Flagstaff.
    Visit the Grand Canyon, but invest the extra time to go to the less touristy North Rim.
    Take a day and go to Sedona for a Pink Jeep tour of red rock country.
    Spend a couple of days in Phoenix (you said hot weather, right?) stay at any of the cool resorts and take a spa day.

Arizona. August weather is awesome. Grand Canyon, salt river, amazing hiking, great people. If you want a drive, you can drive to yellow stone and even a 6 hour drive to the beach in California. And 6 hour to vegas*

AZ has it all.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    The US has something for everyone. It really depends on what you want to see. We have all sorts of scenery, food, and activities.

Colorado isn't normally a super-touristy destination in the summer. The weather in August is hot, but not at all humid. Plus, it's much cooler in the mountains! And Colorado is generally cheaper than NYC, Miami or LA.

Boulder will be the most vegan-friendly area, but it's also more expensive than other parts of CO. Denver offers a lot of options for dining and entertainment, and it's reasonably close to the mountains. Glennwood Springs is really pretty and has a hot springs and a tram to the top of a mountain. Estes Park is near Rocky Mountain National Park.

There are a few airlines that offer direct flights from Heathrow to Denver. :smile:
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    The US has something for everyone. It really depends on what you want to see. We have all sorts of scenery, food, and activities.

Colorado isn't normally a super-touristy destination in the summer. The weather in August is hot, but not at all humid. Plus, it's much cooler in the mountains! And Colorado is generally cheaper than NYC, Miami or LA.

Boulder will be the most vegan-friendly area, but it's also more expensive than other parts of CO. Denver offers a lot of options for dining and entertainment, and it's reasonably close to the mountains. Glennwood Springs is really pretty and has a hot springs and a tram to the top of a mountain. Estes Park is near Rocky Mountain National Park.

There are a few airlines that offer direct flights from Heathrow to Denver. :smile:

Colorado Springs is about 75 miles south of Denver and offers easy access to Manitou Springs (for a drive or cog railway trip to the top of Pike's Peak) as well as The Garden of the Gods, The Royal Gorge, and the stargate secretly housed in Cheyenne Mountain (although this is top secret and everyone will deny there is such a thing there. don't believe them). the US Air Force Academy is close by, with a number of other attractions.

garden-of-the-gods.jpg
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

Colorado Springs is about 75 miles south of Denver and offers easy access to Manitou Springs (for a drive or cog railway trip to the top of Pike's Peak) as well as The Garden of the Gods, The Royal Gorge, and the stargate secretly housed in Cheyenne Mountain (although this is top secret and everyone will deny there is such a thing there. don't believe them). the US Air Force Academy is close by, with a number of other attractions.

garden-of-the-gods.jpg

Forget Stargate (not worth it without RDA anyways), I want to visit South Park!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    I'd fly in to San Francisco. Go to Yosemite National park. drive down the coast of california. Hit Los Angeles and then finish the trip in Las Vegas.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I'm from the UK, would definitely recommend Chicago if you're looking for a city holiday.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

garden-of-the-gods.jpg

Forget Stargate (not worth it without RDA anyways), I want to visit South Park!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Park_(Park_County,_Colorado)

DSCN3707_frontrangeandsouthpark_e_600.jpg
  • itzmenickv23
    itzmenickv23 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Las Vegas
  • LovingLifeInCalifornia
    LovingLifeInCalifornia Posts: 9,362 Member
    Options
    San Francisco is a touristy spot, but there are a lot of vegan friendly restaurants. Not sure if you know about this website, but you can search vegan restaurants on it: happycow.net
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    There is a huge range of things to see and do here, it depends on what your after. We have some of the best National parks ever, Yellowstone is amazing to see, Mt Rushmore gives me the chills, and the cities well lets see. The city of lights San Francisco, the city of angels Los Angeles, the city of everything NYC, Chicago, Houston, New Orleans, Miami. Lets just say your choices are limitless. Have fun and let us know what you decide.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    New Orleans & the Southwest (New Mexico and Arizona). I've been to all 3 and loved it. I'd probably skip Florida. I'm not a huge fan. Too humid.
  • ShreddingIt_84
    Options
    No Fl in summer, it rains alot!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    SAN FRANCISCO Bay Area. Great restaurants, great museums, Alcatraz, and a different type of lifestyle that sometimes shocks many who visit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

garden-of-the-gods.jpg

colorado springs has a really cool zoo but it's cooler in the winter with the snow.
  • sketchymurr
    Options
    Oregon! Farmer's markets, driving distance to the coast (rugged, beautiful scenery), forests for hiking, mountains, waterfalls, local micro-breweries, gardens (Japanese garden, Chinese, rose, rhododendron, etc.) and interesting shopping areas all over town (check out: Hawthorne, Saturday market.)

Portland, OR is an awesome place to visit though. :) For times of year, June/July are when it starts getting nice. Aug to mid Sept. is when it's hottest here. If you don't mind rain, late Sept to Oct. is beautiful for autumn. All the trees turn vibrant oranges and reds and yellows down entire streets, with a bit of brisk wind and occasional rain.

I will say Portland isn't very... touristy. We have some museums, but a lot of it is gorgeous views and local food/festivals/events. Depending on what time of year though, it's fun. It's also cheaper to visit here vs. Seattle WA or Cali. (Also, totally in driving distance of Seattle if you wanted to day trip there. Like 2 hour drive or so, or you can take Bolt Bus for $5 each way or something to have someone drive you there. It's really cool, though.)

edit: and in regards to vegan options, there's loads here. Most restaurants in the trendy areas (downtown, Hawthorne, etc.) have vegan options. Even some of our donut shops. :)
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    My favorite area of California is San Diego- it's just beautiful. I've also found it much easier to find healthy meal options in CA; there are so many vegans and vegetarians that menus have more choices for them. California wine country a close second.

I agree, San Diego. August is hot, but there are still usually cool breezes. The San Diego zoo is amazing and Balboa Park is a beautiful place with lots of museums. You can visit the Scripts aquarium. My favorite place to go in San Diego is Bird Rock Beach. It is a beach of rocks and tide pools. Go when the tide is very low. You can explore and find all sorts of tide animals. Be sure to stroll along the shore road in La Jolla and get lunch at one of resturants on the cliffs. You can sit against the plexi glass railing and view the ocean. I never lived there as an adult, so I don't know about the night life there.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    Here are my recommendations:

New Orleans - full of history, culture, jazz music, delicious Cajun food, beautiful homes, the French Quarter, vibrant nightlife

The Pocono Mountains in Pennsylvania - an outdoor lovers paradise - beautiful scenery, hiking, biking, fishing, canoeing, romantic inns - popular honeymoon destination

San Antonio, Texas - The Alamo (famous American landmark), the beautiful River Walk (full of lush paths and bridges), a great zoo, and mouth-watering Tex-Mex cuisine

Washington, DC - The Nations capital - tons of attractions and history - the White House, The Smithsonian Museum, Washington Memorial, etc. Good shopping and restaurants too.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    Chicago: 1.5 days: Visit Navy Pier, go to the top of the Sears Tower, go to a Cubs game, visit some of the awesome museums there as well

If you do end up going to Chicago, go to Chicago Diner. It's THE best vegetarian/vegan restaurant.
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Why not come to La Cosse WI. Were friendly, there's lots to do, and most of us have had our vaccinations.

Never thought I would see La Crosse make the list :)

My vote would go to San Francisco or Portland, OR. There are awesome waterfalls all through the Columbia River gourge near Portland. Mt Hood is pretty close as well and the city in itself is awesome. Haystack rock is a bit of a drive but a cool site to see where part of Goonies was filmed.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I haven't read many replies, but I have driven across the USA several times, so here's my two cents.

August in Florida is miserable. I do love certain parts of FL, especially Key West, but NOT smack dab in the middle of summer.

NYC is amazing, if you know where to go and what to do. But if you don't, it can be overwhelming. And very, very expensive. If you don't know how to navigate the subway system and end up taking taxis, it adds up fast.

New England has so much to offer. Lots of driving, but some beautiful and historic places to visit. The beaches are all right, but not compared to west coast beaches. If you're going to swim/engage in water sports, you want to stay in the Massachusetts Bay Area (cape cod) as opposed to New Hampshire/Maine beaches because the water is considerably warmer on the Cape.

California has so many different things to see and do. But definitely avoid Hollywood, because it may look glamorous in films and on TV, but IRL it's a cesspool of drug addicts, hookers, and talent agents. *shudder* (I kid a little bit, but it really isn't worth the time to visit.) Beaches in Southern California are nice...Santa Monica and Venice have many interesting characters wandering around. :laugh: :laugh: The San Diego area is gorgeous, and has the SD Zoo, Sea World, and some really gorgeous parks and nice, rocky beaches up the coastline. I've only been to Northern CA once, but I have two words that make it worthwhile - wine country. :laugh:

All in all, there are so many places you could see while you are in the states. Good luck deciding, and have a wonderful trip! :drinker:

ETA: Just noticed the vegan food request...CA has many options for vegans. I'm not sure about anywhere else, since I've lived in CA for 15 years.