Help me decide where in the USA to visit next summer!

Options
12346»

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Why not come to La Cosse WI. Were friendly, there's lots to do, and most of us have had our vaccinations.

Never thought I would see La Crosse make the list :)

Not a bad idea. You could do a tour down the Mississippi. Start in Minneapolis/St. Paul and follow the river through LaCrosse, Dubuque, St. Louis, Memphis, and end up in New Orleans. Great way to see the heart of America. You can even do the entire river on a Riverboat or just take a day trip or two on a boat.

People tend to forget about the central part of the US, thinking that the only places to see are on the coasts. I guarantee that we are civilized here and you will never forget your visit.
  • sullenbee
    sullenbee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    What ever you do, DO NOT GO TO MICHIGAN, that state sucks.

The Carolinas are wonderful. But in August they are miserable, unless you go to Asheville which is brilliant! There is a drum circle in the middle of town on Friday nights plus lots of activities that go on in and around the area. There are lots of vegan places to eat as veg is the norm. It is a mountain town so there are lots of things to do as far as exercise from hiking, biking and canoeing the river. There are also fun bars. We live in Charlotte so we go there for weekend trips, especially in the summer as it is brutally hot and humid here.

http://www.exploreasheville.com/things-to-do/events/?e_ViewBy=month&e_sdate=8-1-2014&e_sortBy=eventDate
    http://www.visitnc.com/things-to-do
    http://www.romanticasheville.com/BlueRidgeParkway.htm

There is a direct flight from London to Charlotte. It is 2.5 to Asheville and between 3 and 4 east coast beaches. It is also 4 hours from Charleston SC and 5 to Savannah Georgia, which is a lot of fun too.

You will get more bang for your buck in the south than NYC. The only problem is, the public transport is not that great. We have buses and taxis and that is about it. There is one train that runs in a straight line from one end of town to the other we call the blue line, but it is not good for much but getting to and from town.

I will be in London next Tuesday-Friday. Any advice on fun things to do (we are middle aged and do not drink) would be great!

L

Wow, what is with the irrational Michigan hate? I've been to Asheville, which is our twin beer city, and while it was nice, there was not as much to do there as here in Michigan. Blue Ridge Parkway is pretty, but the Rocky Mountains out west are far superior in my humble opinion.
  • MrsPaulSmith
    MrsPaulSmith Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Virginia is beautiful. I went on a historic vacation and Monticello was my favorite place.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    I live in Florida and love it but not in August! Heck, the vast majority of Floridians leave the state looking for cooler weather (well, mostly in July, school starts in August). I love San Francisco and also think the Pacific Northwest would be good for you guys but it is far.

Let us know what you decide and give us more ideas of what you are looking to do, see. I agree with one of the earlier posters who said you can get amazing cities closer to home but you can't get the vastness of the US or our National Parks. Yellowstone, Yosemite, the Grand Canyon, Zion and Bryce are almost spiritual in their beauty.
  • jaya_lakshmi27
    Options
    The Bay Area (San Francisco area) in Cali is great to see, but it's ALWAYS cold here. Like 65 degrees is t-shirt weather. The Golden Gate especially would be great to come to. I live right across the bay and can see it from my bedroom window (: we also have AMAZING sunsets.

NYC is a great place to go to to get a classic "America" feel, with tons of cultures and people and just everything. I would recommend seeing something on Broadway, but it's super expensive. Balcony seats aren't TOO bad, though.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    There is not a bad place to visit. Everywhere has something to offer and a story to tell.

Except Dallas TX...it's just generic suburbia...
  • NatiaGonitellie
    NatiaGonitellie Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    The white mountains offer some fantastic hiking.
    Some destinations are no more than a few hours hike off the Kangamangus Highway Conway NH and Lincoln NH (being at each end) BnB's are a good place to make a base camp (Just in case you aren't into actual in the woods camping)

In a long weekend you can do 3-5 of the destination trails.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGn-RDr2YsBbSb-yUf-nDw481YR5D8imtaJRr15B2ojB6AhE3J
    Arethusa Falls

7860Sabbaday_Falls_Upper_Two_Steps_Smaller_.jpg
    Sabbaday Falls

Just two of the spectacular Fall's Destination. There is also a natural water slide at Lincoln end 25min walk easy trail.
    I could go on and on. Lots to look up on line if you are interested.