Replies

• goodbyefreshman15
    Options
    Can you swim in an indoor pool?

I can! I'm just not comfortable in a bathing suit. :/
  • rachelg145
    rachelg145 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Subscription to a gossip magazine like US Weekly - one issue is about one and a half workouts at the most, but it passes the time and there aren't any actual articles. You can get a really cheap subscription if you shop around online at discount magazine sites or on ebay.

On the flip side, the newspaper. Also many short articles and blurbs so you don't have to concentrate too much, but it passes the time. I personally don't like to touch the elliptical with my hands because I think it makes the workout too much easier so reading a long item on a kindle would be tough - I wouldn't be able to balance and read steady without holding on.

I do not listen to music when I read so it mixes things up a little bit having music some days, no music other days.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    It gets boring when you do the same thing over and over. I think it might get better once you recover from your injury and can do other things. Also it will be summer time so you can exercise outside to keep it varied. I think you will be okay; just push through even though it gets boring. It will get better!

One thing I do/did in the winter at the gym was do different things. I go on all the cardio equipment but my routine differs from day to day. One day my main machine is the elliptical, and maybe the next day I focus in one Arc trainer. Another day I might spend the most of my time on the bike or treadmill. I also try to vary in speed and resistance, especially on the treadmill and bike.

Since its been getting nicer out, I've been taking 1-2 hour walks around my neighborhood, which burns 200+ calories.

I get bored sometimes too so that is why i try to change things up. There is a gym by my work that has a pool but I don't know if I can afford two gyms.
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I usually do a bit of cardio before I lift, and it can be boring. Lately, I've been listening to a podcast called Nightvale whilst on the treadmill or bike. It is a little creepy and very, very funny. I get so wrapped up in the story ( about 22 minutes per podcast) that the time flies.
    Actually, today at the gym, I caught the guy next to me staring, and I realized that I had been laughing out loud, lol:)
    Sometime the music thing just doesn't cut it for boring stuff. Give a podcast a try:)