Best Pre-workout Snacks Ideas

Options
Hey everyone! I'm finding it really challenging to find a good pre-workout snack to help fuel me through my workout mid day. I tried a Larabar and that was decent, but I was hoping some of you would have some good suggestions based on your own experiences. I always find it easier to workout in the morning because 1/2 cup of oatmeal and banana is usually perfect for me, but if I'm on the go, or it's mid-day, I wouldn't opt for oatmeal.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• honsi
    honsi Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I often have a couple of boiled eggs in my bag and some dates. I like a nice mix of protein and carbs before a workout to give me sustained energy. Nuts are good too as well bananas. I also like raw food bars for convenience.
    Of course a filter coffee with 2 sugars also helps.
  • dwm2112
    dwm2112 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I usually go for a banana and either a bar (Clif Mojo - comparatively low in sugar without tasting like cardboard) or a handful of snack mix (nuts, dried fruit, dark chocolate). The Fresh Market and Whole Foods sell various snack mixes in bulk and they're very good. I also eat hard-boiled eggs sometimes, but tend to save those for after my workout, for the protein.
  • tracegoldb
    Options
    Thank you both so much! Do you eat the yolk of the hard boiled egg?
  • LBennett34
    LBennett34 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Good ole' banana is one of the best, about an hour before. Best wishes!
  • srr728
    srr728 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    banana with pb was perfect combo for me can go 60-90mins no prob cheap and always on hand and its more than 4 bites lol
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything prior to my workout as it upsets my stomach; instead, I eat after the workout. During the workout, I drink loads of modified water (e.g. Gatorade, ISOpure, Crystal Light, etc) ... anything that's not just water, because that tastes gross. :sick:
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Coffee. The caffeine will give you energy for your workout, and if you want some protein and carbs you can add milk as well. Plus it's really low in calories!
  • KoopaSix
    KoopaSix Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Pre workout you want a slow digesting carb. Typically I'll go for:

1/2 cup stone ground grits
    1 scoop whey protein
    3/4 cup egg whites

Macros for this are:
    67g cho, 2g fat, 51g pro

The macronutrient profile of this meal pre workout is amazing.

I'll often do 1 serving of shredded wheat, 3/4 cup egg whites and "protein milk" (nothing more than water/whey. Vanilla works best for more of a "milk" flavor" This is also another great pre workout with a similar macro profile.
  • KoopaSix
    KoopaSix Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Thank you both so much! Do you eat the yolk of the hard boiled egg?

8 a day..while cutting and losing 1-2 lbs a week at a steady pace. The yolk is the most nutrient dense part of the egg, not to mention the tastiest. Why not eat it if it fits your macros.
  • kristieshannon
    kristieshannon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I buy the Trader Joe's "Just a Handful" packets in the Omega Mix variety. It's a 170 cal packet of nuts and dried fruit. It's the perfect snack prior to a workout, filled with healthy fats, a little carbs, and protein!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I don't have specific pre workout snacks. food doesnt' seem to bother my workouts since i was young until now recently when I was almost through the couch 2 5 k program. maybe later when i workout harder but i doubt it. i have an iron stomach.

do you need the snack to be light? or filling to get thru your workout? specific request might yield better suggestions.
  • snappingosprey
    snappingosprey Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    http://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/2012/09/10/facts-and-myths-about-fueling-up-before-your-workout

Most here have it right - fruit about an hour before working out. I either have a banana or down a 8oz glass of OJ

Stay away from protein heavy foods (some is okay, esp if you are lifting) - the goal is carbs.
  • tracegoldb
    Options

do you need the snack to be light? or filling to get thru your workout? specific request might yield better suggestions.

Yes, I'm generally looking for a light snack to help me sustain enough energy to do about 20 minutes of cardio and an hour of weight/strength training.

Has anyone tried some natural peanut butter on a rice cake beforehand? Someone gave me that suggestion today!
  • fitnh
    fitnh Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal and a banana....protein after the workout!
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I work out fasted myself.....

But if I were to do a snack...
    Some piece of fruit or a quest bar....
    maybe some apple and peanut butter....
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Early morning? COFFEE :drinker:

Otherwise a banana or a yogurt works for me.
  • jamescarlsen21
    Options
    Hi tracegoldb,
    banana is one of the best and effective pre workout snack, With this u can also try some pre workout supplement like Muscle Pharm Assault, BSN N.O. Xplode 2 Advanced Strength .
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I find that a big baked potato right before a workout gives me lots of energy to really up the intensity. Lots of good carbs to fuel the workout.
  • gabbymom2
    gabbymom2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Protein shake or green smoothie!