Best Pre-workout Snacks Ideas

Options
2»

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Protein shake or green smoothie!

I'll often blend up some potatoes and spinach in with my protein powder to make a green smoothie. But that's after the workout for recovery.
  • EmbraceTheDarkSide
    EmbraceTheDarkSide Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Protein shake + banana

Or

PB with apples or banana on multigrain (light) toast
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Good ole' banana is one of the best, about an hour before. Best wishes!
    This!

Or baby carrots is my other go to!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    baked potato
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I do a half turkey sandwich on low calorie bread. Keeps me good the whole workout.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    carbo loading, yer about to burn it off anyway....soooo....

POTATO

b93077905ecd554829fdf8931ff2c588.jpg
  • DollCourtney
    Options
    I'm one of those people who has to stick to eating healthy foods and not so much use pre-workout powders because I get jittery really easy. I also get lots of energy from eating a banana and oatmeal and typically choose to have that when I can. However, a co-worker let me have some spark from her 30 day challenge diet (it was only a portion of the recommended I believe). I couldn't believe that it didn't make me jittery, and it gave me all the energy I needed to push hard through cardio for the day.

Good luck!
  • markolukic7
    Options
    it may sound strange, But it a Snickers :) it's good, it has carbs, protein and fat all you need during trening, and keeps you full
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Cashews and vanilla yogurt, mmmm
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon Almonds or Breakstones 100 calorie Cottage Cheese Doubles
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    I eat a banana and some almonds about 1.5-2 hours before I work out.
  • onionparsleysage
    onionparsleysage Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I prefer working out fasted.

For a long run (>1.5 hours), I'll eat a piece of toast with butter and some dates or similar. Nothing too fatty and I don't feel the need for protein prior to a run. Guess that'll change when I up my mileage for ultra-marathons ;)
  • kevingrant1
    kevingrant1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    A couple of rolls of smarties. Dextrose goes straight to the bloodstream to fuel your workout.
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I've read apples are good. Especially with PB.
  • snappingosprey
    snappingosprey Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Recent MFP blog post http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/2014/04/should-i-eat-before-my-morning-workout/

Good timing or are they spying on us?...
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm finding it really challenging to find a good pre-workout snack to help fuel me through my workout mid day. I tried a Larabar and that was decent, but I was hoping some of you would have some good suggestions based on your own experiences. I always find it easier to workout in the morning because 1/2 cup of oatmeal and banana is usually perfect for me, but if I'm on the go, or it's mid-day, I wouldn't opt for oatmeal.

Thanks in advance!
    I usually work out in the wee hours of the morning, so I have a boiled egg prior to this.

On the one day a week when I run in the afternoon, I have a boiled egg or greek yogurt.

Today before my six mile run, I am going to have a greek yogurt with some nuts.
  • Myxalplyx
    Myxalplyx Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thanks for these responses. Seems like a banana is the best (or most chosen) of choices. Coffee and/or eggs are also substitutes. Gonna give these a try myself.

Typical workout is 30 minutes cardio moderate with six (30 second) intense drills, then about 60 minutes of weight training (Moderate mix with some heavy lifting).
  • NiikouruDesu
    Options
    Sugars (fruit / juice) or caffeine. Avoid boiled eggs they dont digest
  • 15Nov2013
    15Nov2013 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If i had breakfast an hour or so before i eat some dark chocolate (70% cocoa) ... it gives me loads of energy
    If i workout very early it's a shake (fruit, full fat milk, protein powder) i might add peanut butter and veggies to that also