Are canned vegetables, tuna and instant rice ok to eat?

Options
I'm trying to bulk up so it shouldn't really matter, right? I know that buying fresh is way better but I'm on a tight budget and these options are cheaper and easier. However if these can hinder gaining weight I will stay away from them.

Replies

• MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    They're fine to bulk on, but be careful with large tuna consumption.

I went way overboard eating a family pack of tuna, 5 days a week, for 6 months. I got the beginning levels of mercury poisoning. If I was superman, it's how I imagine kryptonite would feel.

Now I'm off seafood for 6 months.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Just don't mix them together because that doesn't make for a happy casserole. Otherwise, these are all fine.

ETA: I have also had elevated mercury that required medical treatment. Mine was from fresh raw tuna sushi every day.

Watch the tuna consumption and keep it reasonable.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying you'll die, I'm just saying get your affairs in order.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying you'll die, I'm just saying get your affairs in order.

^ This. Talk to a trusts and estates attorney now.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Lmfao! This thread is awesome!!!

What they all mean, op, is yes, they are all fine to eat regardless of what you are doing. :heart:
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Yes, they're ok. They're not great where flavor is concerned, but they won't kill you. That's pretty much what I ate when I was broke. Throw in a few spoonfuls of cream of chicken, celery or mushroom soup. It tastes better like that.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that since they are all sold at the supermarket you should be okay.

Just take it easy on the tuna.
  • aqualeo1
    aqualeo1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Instant death. Everybody knows that.
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Just don't mix them together because that doesn't make for a happy casserole. Otherwise, these are all fine.

ETA: I have also had elevated mercury that required medical treatment. Mine was from fresh raw tuna sushi every day.

Watch the tuna consumption and keep it reasonable.

Eat wild caught Alaskan salmon. (Shameless plug...)
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I eat instant brown rice, canned tuna, and frozen veggies(that I thaw and cook/boil) all the time.

I used to buy canned veggies, but after I found out they add extra sodium to help preserve I switched to frozen. I don't need the extra salt and I can usually find 16oz bags of frozen for $1 each.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    recipe for disaster….
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I eat instant brown rice, canned tuna, and frozen veggies(that I thaw and cook/boil) all the time.

I used to buy canned veggies, but after I found out they add extra sodium to help preserve I switched to frozen. I don't need the extra salt and I can usually find 16oz bags of frozen for $1 each.

wait, they add sodium to canned goods to preserve them….?
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Also google brown rice and arsenic. Moderation.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Add some canned chicken (because of the whole mercury thing) and some dried beans - which really are easy to learn to cook - and you're golden. Good luck!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Love this website.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Also google brown rice and arsenic. Moderation.

White rice has a lot less mercury so go for white and get your fibre elsewhere.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Have you been to college? Because that kind of stuff is a LOT of my diet right now. I don't like tuna much but I do eat chicken that comes from a can, instant brown rice, instant mashed potatoes, canned fruits and vegetables, canned soup, occasional instant noodles, etc. Just rinse the canned stuff and pick low sodium options. And moderate as much as possible, of course.
  • angelicprettyy
    Options
    They're fine to bulk on, but be careful with large tuna consumption.

I went way overboard eating a family pack of tuna, 5 days a week, for 6 months. I got the beginning levels of mercury poisoning. If I was superman, it's how I imagine kryptonite would feel.

Now I'm off seafood for 6 months.
    How'd it feel?
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options

wait, they add sodium to canned goods to preserve them….?

its all I ate growing up, my parents always had canned everything. I never really thought about it until I started logging and watching my diet. lol
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason for not eating those items then eat in moderation and you'll be fine.