Are canned vegetables, tuna and instant rice ok to eat?

Options

Replies

• DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    yes canned fruits and tuna are okay . but the raw side of them things would be much better for you .& you should eat brown rice
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    No...
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I can't remember what life was like prior to microwave rice, nor do I wish to.
  • cindiannmercer
    Options
    make sure the tuna is packed in water.....not oil
    too much sodium in canned vegatables and i dont think rice is really ever ok......too many carbs....
    this is hard for me to do too....easier to say
    ha ha ha
  • ScorpionQwean
    ScorpionQwean Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree w/ cindiannmerce - .. I've been working with a nutritionist and personal trainer and they both said w/ Cindi said. NEVER EAT RICE - too many carbs; not even brown rice. Stick w/ fruits, protein, nuts. Then do NOT do cardio as you will "lose" muscle... look at marathon runners, they are bone thin. When my personal trainer told me that, I was shocked. But, it's the truth. He never did cardio and he is buffed. If you want to bulk up... you need to Weight Train. The end.
  • hikezilla
    hikezilla Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    We like black beans, brown rice, chopped peppers, chopped onions, and a few sprouts, all mixed together with a squirt of Sirachi sauce...sometimes we add a scrambled egg to the mess. It's filling, low calorie, and tastes good.

Serve it warm or cold.

Remember....everything in moderation....if I could only live that way.....<sigh>
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the answers, but Frozen veggies healthier than canned and often can be just as inexpensive. Often they have less salt and some of the Steamfresh bags are almost an entire meal on their own.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree w/ cindiannmerce - .. I've been working with a nutritionist and personal trainer and they both said w/ Cindi said. NEVER EAT RICE - too many carbs; not even brown rice. Stick w/ fruits, protein, nuts. Then do NOT do cardio as you will "lose" muscle... look at marathon runners, they are bone thin. When my personal trainer told me that, I was shocked. But, it's the truth. He never did cardio and he is buffed. If you want to bulk up... you need to Weight Train. The end.

sigh.

no and no.

rice is fine. carbs are not the devil.

you may do cardio if you so wish- but as this is a gaining area- and we are talking about gaining- cardio is counterproductive sometimes because it just means you need to eat more.

But you can do cardio if you like. just make sure you keep eating and keep lifting.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

"...and he is buff..." <
    The very definition of BRO-science...
  • JoRocka
    Options

"...and he is buff..." <

he is buffed.

I want to be buffed- might help my back and hip mobility issues actually!!
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options

sigh.

no and no.

rice is fine. carbs are not the devil.

you may do cardio if you so wish- but as this is a gaining area- and we are talking about gaining- cardio is counterproductive sometimes because it just means you need to eat more.

But you can do cardio if you like. just make sure you keep eating and keep lifting.

^^This. After all, if carbs are the devil, why is the nutritionist, trainer and both "carbs are evil" posters advising the OP to eat fruit?:huh:
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options

"...and he is buff..." <

he is buffed.

Among "other things" I'm sure! :bigsmile:
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I'd opt for frozen instead of canned vegetables or choose low-sodium or no-salt-added options if sodium is a concern at all.

Canned tuna is great, but as with any fish, you'll want to limit it to maybe three times per week and you can vary it with some canned salmon or even frozen fish fillets.

Instant rice is fine, although it will cost significantly more and have added ingredients, so if money is a concern, it's a good idea to make a big batch of rice when you have to time to eat throughout each week.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    ^^This. After all, if carbs are the devil, why is the nutritionist, trainer and both "carbs are evil" posters advising the OP to eat fruit?:huh:

don't you know- this is MFP- fruit doesn't count- or only counts as sugar. because it's natural.
    Among "other things" I'm sure! bigsmile

giggity- hell. yes. glad someone's on board with my pervieness!
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options

Never eat rice? Sigh.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I eat instant brown rice, canned tuna, and frozen veggies(that I thaw and cook/boil) all the time.

I used to buy canned veggies, but after I found out they add extra sodium to help preserve I switched to frozen. I don't need the extra salt and I can usually find 16oz bags of frozen for $1 each.

wait, they add sodium to canned goods to preserve them….?

its all I ate growing up, my parents always had canned everything. I never really thought about it until I started logging and watching my diet. lol

Unless pickling, salt is not a requirement for home canning. It is simply a seasoning.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I avoid canned foods where possible since the cans are lined with BPAs which mimics estrogen.

Buy a small rice cooker / steamer for $10. You can add frozen vegetables to cook with the rice and it's ready in 20 minutes.

Even less expensive, learn to cook rice in a pot on the stove. It is quite easy!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I avoid canned foods where possible since the cans are lined with BPAs which mimics estrogen.

Buy a small rice cooker / steamer for $10. You can add frozen vegetables to cook with the rice and it's ready in 20 minutes.

Even less expensive, learn to cook rice in a pot on the stove. It is quite easy!

I did that for years- bought a rice cooker and never looked back- it's worth the extra 30 bucks to have in your house.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

"...and he is buff..." <

he is buffed.

Nice catch! :laugh: