Are you REALLY doing everything possible?

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
Had an assessment yesterday with a member who has been at a standstill with weight loss for a year now. So the initial story sounded like she was doing everything right with intake, exercise, rest, physical check ups, etc..
While we chatted more, she opened up about her personal life more (not uncommon) and then I found out that the "cheats" she did on the weekends were more than just cheats. Drinking more than a bottle of wine, eating higher calories than she needed to (I added it up), not really exercising with the same intensity on the weekends, and staying out later with less rest, has obviously made an impact on why she isn't progressing as much anymore. Anyway, I start with her this week to "readjust" her program.

Be honest with yourself. If you aren't losing or aren't progressing, are you really doing what you need to do to get it done? One can whine about how good they are doing with no results, but in the end only one person really knows if the effort is true.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    absolutely...

that's why I log everything even if it means I am over maintenance.

This weekend was one of those weekends...I logged it all....didn't lose any today but that's okay.

I am honest with myself...and that's who matters.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    AMEN
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    This is a great post! I know I'm guilty of weekend binges or constant "tastes" of my kids food.
  • evedroid
    evedroid Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    exactly why i log everything. every pig-outs, every bites if/when i finish my daughters meals, and every binges of mine. it might be ugly, but at end i can look back and see where did i stumble and can even analyse the reason behind each binge.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I'm not really doing all that i can do, but im doing what i want. i.e. Im not exercising till my knee gets healed, i ate a hot fudge sundae yesterday (but it didn't hurt me tee hee and I eat clean!). and so no im not doing "everything" because I dont want to.. but i do what i want and am accomplishing about a 2-3 pound weight loss per week so far.
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I log everything, even when it makes me wince. I opted not to exercise much this weekend, and it showed in a reduced caloric deficit for the weekend. Ouch. But you know, I'd make the same decision again because I wasn't feeling well. In the end, that means accepting a smaller loss. I'm realistic about that.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Be honest with yourself. If you aren't losing or aren't progressing, are you really doing what you need to do to get it done? One can whine about how good they are doing with no results, but in the end only one person really knows if the effort is true.

Nope, I'm not. Your post could have been about me. Weekends and wine are my undoing. :drinker:

I'm counting on all the yard and garden work warmer weather brings to get the scale moving again.
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    This is a great post! I know I'm guilty of weekend binges or constant "tastes" of my kids food.

OMG - If I don't watch it I can eat a second meal off my kids plates. It isn't even appetizing. It is like a compulsion and I have my mothers voice screeching in my mind not to throw food away because there are starving children somewhere! So I eat that last 1/4 of a pancake instead of scraping it in the garbage. I have four kids! Really! - my fat *kitten* hasn't saved one child a single hunger pang. :P If you see quick add calories in my diary - you know I've been snitching ;)
  • Babsie777
    Babsie777 Posts: 203
    Options
    @ niner...

I believe my question goes along with this post. Just out of curiosity. How does water intake affect losing weight? As you know I was at a stand still in weight loss. I upped my calories as you suggested, and even had my RMR measured which showed below normal. The doctor suggested that I should be eating between 1300 - 1400 calories a day to lose weight, and anything less would throw my body into starvation and cause me to stop losing. Which is exactly what you sugggested to me! Haha.. go figure.. wasted copay?? Maybe not. At least I know that your advice is sound and that you know what you are talking about. (So anyone else reading this post LISTEN TO THIS GUY. HE KNOWS WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT). Anyway, I have stagnated again. My boyfriend thinks that maybe due to the workout intensity of the program and how much I have been sweating while doing it that I may not be taking in enough water and that my body may be retaining water because of it. I do drink between 4 and 8 (8oz) glasses a day. Although I have not been logging it, which I plan on starting to do today as I'm wondering if maybe he is right and/or maybe I am not taking in as much water as I think. I measure my water intake by how many times a day I have to fill up my 32oz water bottle. How much water should a person trying to lose weight take in on rest days vs workout days? Just wanted to get your thoughts on the subject. As always, THANKS FOR THE GREAT ADVICE!
  • evedroid
    evedroid Posts: 134 Member
    Options

OMG - If I don't watch it I can eat a second meal off my kids plates. It isn't even appetizing. It is like a compulsion and I have my mothers voice screeching in my mind not to throw food away because there are starving children somewhere! So I eat that last 1/4 of a pancake instead of scraping it in the garbage. I have four kids! Really! - my fat *kitten* hasn't saved one child a single hunger pang. :P If you see quick add calories in my diary - you know I've been snitching ;)

^ me.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I'm not really doing all that i can do, but im doing what i want. i.e. Im not exercising till my knee gets healed, i ate a hot fudge sundae yesterday (but it didn't hurt me tee hee and I eat clean!). and so no im not doing "everything" because I dont want to.. but i do what i want and am accomplishing about a 2-3 pound weight loss per week so far.
    If you're accomplishing what you want with the program you're doing, then the above doesn't apply to your situation. I'm speaking of people who insist they are stuck (again barring any medical/health issue) and are claiming they are doing "everything right". 95% of the time, they really aren't.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    @ niner...

I believe my question goes along with this post. Just out of curiosity. How does water intake affect losing weight? As you know I was at a stand still in weight loss. I upped my calories as you suggested, and even had my RMR measured which showed below normal. The doctor suggested that I should be eating between 1300 - 1400 calories a day to lose weight, and anything less would throw my body into starvation and cause me to stop losing. Which is exactly what you sugggested to me! Haha.. go figure.. wasted copay?? Maybe not. At least I know that your advice is sound and that you know what you are talking about. (So anyone else reading this post LISTEN TO THIS GUY. HE KNOWS WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT). Anyway, I have stagnated again. My boyfriend thinks that maybe due to the workout intensity of the program and how much I have been sweating while doing it that I may not be taking in enough water and that my body may be retaining water because of it. I do drink between 4 and 8 (8oz) glasses a day. Although I have not been logging it, which I plan on starting to do today as I'm wondering if maybe he is right and/or maybe I am not taking in as much water as I think. I measure my water intake by how many times a day I have to fill up my 32oz water bottle. How much water should a person trying to lose weight take in on rest days vs workout days? Just wanted to get your thoughts on the subject. As always, THANKS FOR THE GREAT ADVICE!
    I still haven't found a credible source to water intake that has scientific backing to support it. Here's what I BELIEVE: take your body weight and divide it by 1/2 or 1/3. The quotient would be the amount of ounces of water you try to consume. IE. I'm 192lbs. So I'm drinking 64oz to 96oz of water a day.
    Water is important for muscle repair (since 75% of muscle is water anyway), and lack of it impairs repair. You'll have to experiment a little to see lack of sufficient water is your issue.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Babsie777
    Babsie777 Posts: 203
    Options
    I still haven't found a credible source to water intake that has scientific backing to support it. Here's what I BELIEVE: take your body weight and divide it by 1/2 or 1/3. The quotient would be the amount of ounces of water you try to consume. IE. I'm 192lbs. So I'm drinking 64oz to 96oz of water a day.
    Water is important for muscle repair (since 75% of muscle is water anyway), and lack of it impairs repair. You'll have to experiment a little to see lack of sufficient water is your issue.

IDEA Fitness member

Well, if this is the case, based on my calculations, I know I am not taking in enough water! Definitely going to up it and see! Thanks!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options

Basically the same for me, except for the amount of weight lost.

I could do more intense exercises, do NROWL, eat more protein/fruits/veggies. I don't because I still have a lazy streak in me and bad memories from being teased and shamed as a kid. I'm not going to become an in-shape, very fit woman.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I love this post! I am totally in a stall, and I completely know why. I haven't been doing what I need to do to lose the weight, and I know it! It is no one's fault but mine. But I own that and I am totally back doing what I need to.

Great post OP!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Such a good post!!!!
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I know that my stalls have always stretched out because of me. If I am not losing weight for a couple of weeks or so, it is because I am not truly at a deficit. I could be having little bites here and there or slacking on my workout intensity (usually both).
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Word to the OP.

I even log "store d'oeuvres."

If you're not keeping yourself honest, why go through the charade?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump for evening crowd
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Word to the OP.

I even log "store d'oeuvres."

If you're not keeping yourself honest, why go through the charade?

"Store d'oeuvres" I like that a lot LOL!! Sounds like you must be familiar with the Costco Weekend :laugh: