Dannon Light & Fit Greek Yogurt

Options
13»

Replies

• mbeuchert24
    mbeuchert24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    this is the only greek yogurt I have enjoyed eating! my favorite is the toasted coconut!
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    No need to get all food snob on us. :)

It's just that it's not "really" Greek yogurt, you know? It's not got the same protein count, it's not got the same live cultures, it's a science experiment cannily marketed to people who want to hop on the healthy train but don't want to sacrifice the taste of the fakey fakey store yogurts. It's marketing, a continuation of Snackwells Syndrome, and if it gets you through the day then go for it but thinking it's "real" Greek yogurt is just misinformation.

Real Greek yogurt or not - it's got a good protein count, decently low sugar content, low-calorie, and satisfying, I see no problem. I don't feel good about myself because, "I ate Greek yogurt" - I feel good about myself because I stayed within my macros and wasn't hungry and miserable all day. All this snotty "I only eat foods that have health benefits, even if it tastes like dirt" is really unnecessary if you ask me. I say find what works for you and don't try to convince the world that your way is the only right way.

And I don't mean "you" specifically, but "you" in general.
    I agree. I eat the Light & Fit Greek Yogurt (or "Greek" yogurt since I guess it's not "real") for the protein benefits (vegetarian - I pay a lot of attention to protein). I also like that I can get a bit of sweetness in at the same time. Usually I have it as a dessert instead of cookies/ice cream/cake/etc. I figure if I can get extra protein with something I actually like and everything else is still within my macros, I couldn't care less if it's called "Greek yogurt" or whatever else. I don't care if Greek yogurt is the "in" thing right now anyway. Quinoa blew up awhile back too, but I didn't like it so I didn't eat it. It's pretty simple.
  • kayla_who
    kayla_who Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    No need to get all food snob on us. :)

It's just that it's not "really" Greek yogurt, you know? It's not got the same protein count, it's not got the same live cultures, it's a science experiment cannily marketed to people who want to hop on the healthy train but don't want to sacrifice the taste of the fakey fakey store yogurts. It's marketing, a continuation of Snackwells Syndrome, and if it gets you through the day then go for it but thinking it's "real" Greek yogurt is just misinformation.

Real Greek yogurt or not - it's got a good protein count, decently low sugar content, low-calorie, and satisfying, I see no problem. I don't feel good about myself because, "I ate Greek yogurt" - I feel good about myself because I stayed within my macros and wasn't hungry and miserable all day. All this snotty "I only eat foods that have health benefits, even if it tastes like dirt" is really unnecessary if you ask me. I say find what works for you and don't try to convince the world that your way is the only right way.

And I don't mean "you" specifically, but "you" in general.
    I agree. I eat the Light & Fit Greek Yogurt (or "Greek" yogurt since I guess it's not "real") for the protein benefits (vegetarian - I pay a lot of attention to protein). I also like that I can get a bit of sweetness in at the same time. Usually I have it as a dessert instead of cookies/ice cream/cake/etc. I figure if I can get extra protein with something I actually like and everything else is still within my macros, I couldn't care less if it's called "Greek yogurt" or whatever else. I don't care if Greek yogurt is the "in" thing right now anyway. Quinoa blew up awhile back too, but I didn't like it so I didn't eat it. It's pretty simple.

BOOM!
  • Nic1674
    Nic1674 Posts: 1
    Options
    I just tried it and I'm NOT impressed. I can't get over the nasty aftertaste. I like Stoneyfield and Fage.
  • gonefishin1282
    gonefishin1282 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I mix it with my green smoothies in the morning. The strawberry and pineapple give it a nice flavor!
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Try flavoring your own Greek yogurt. Buy plain and sweeten it with honey and fruit or use spices to make it savory.

I agree. I like the plain fat free Fage the best. I mix it with frozen red raspberries and two packets of stevia or make a smoothie with a little milk, stevia and frozen strawberries. Organic hummus with carrots is a good snack too. I don't like the yogurt dips either.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I like it (I eat the strawberry and vanilla). Gives me a bit of protein, tastes good, and...um, it tastes good. I can't stress that enough. I am anti things that taste bad and other 'real' Greek yogurts tend to taste like dirt.
  • courtney123180
    courtney123180 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Someone on my friends list just posted a recipe this morning for a dip using greek yogurt. Just mix Hidden Valley dip mix with plain greek yogurt. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds yummy! I'm thinking I'll try it with a ranch dip mix.

i make this. i get the fage 0% smaller tub of greek yogurt thats plain, then add one packet of hidden valley buttermilk ranch dip mix. its like 60 calories for half of a cup(113g)!!!!!
  • mamafelfleh
    mamafelfleh Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I love it
  • mamafelfleh
    mamafelfleh Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I love it
  • airsangel
    airsangel Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    After eating Dannon Light & Fit Greek Yogurt, I won't eat anything else! I tried to go back to regular yogurt and couldn't, it grossed me out. I absolutely love the sweetness and how thick it is. The vanilla is my favorite, I dip strawberries in it and it tastes like frosting...it's YUMMMMM :)
  • laurenk08
    laurenk08 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    This is actually not true greek yogurt if you look at the ingredients :)
    I recommend sticking to the plain greek yogurt and adding your own fruits / natural sweeteners. It has double the protein and WAYYY less sugar.
    Greek yogurt should only include strained milk and live and active cultures.
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Danio Passio Fruit 0% is my guilty pleasure... delicious but quite sugary. Fage with honey doesn't taste as good and it has even more sugar. I love having it for breakfast and use half the honey spread on brown bread though. best 250 cal of the day!
  • Jessisings4God
    Options
    I LOVE this yogurt! It tastes just like real coconut! Someone said it tastes artificial...I buy homemade coconut jello from my local Boba stop. The coconut jello is made from the flesh and coconut water, just adding plain gelatin and some sugar. I eat it straight out of a coconut in fact. The yogurt tastes JUST like that coconut jello! Which makes me happy because the coconut jello is only made on Fridays. It has 7g of sugar and 12g of Protein- that's AWESOME. Although, it is labeled "Naturally and Artificially Flavored." I'm eating for the first time right now. I purchased this because it came in a pack of 4 and met my criteria for sugar vs protein among the other packs of yogurts. I keep it in the fridge at work. This wasn't my 1st choice, but it was the best choice that came in a pack, with individual portions. I didn't want to buy a pint because then I wouldn't really know the portion I ate. Anyway, that's my 2 cents
  • bigsistruck
    bigsistruck Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    This is my absolute favorite Greek yogurt! I have tried all of the others, even higher calorie ones and I think the Dannon Light & Fit ones taste the best by far!!! My favorite flavors are banana cream pie, strawberry cheesecake, and vanilla. They are SOOOO yummy, try them!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    It's pretty good for a low calorie greek yogurt, however I did notice a weird after taste that I eventually got used to. I can't comment on the amount of sugar, since when I was eating it I didn't pay attention, but I'd glance at that to see how much it has and if it is worth it.

It's low in sugar because it's got fake sugar in it.