Is it possible to do 5K run in May for a beginner?

Options
I just started jogging a couple of weeks ago with 2 of my girl friends and agreed to do it every Wednesday. After 2 weeks, I decided to add 2 more jogging days last week (Friday and Sunday).

Yesterday, I simply said YES to my two friends for the scheduled 5K run in May without thinking. I just realized now that that is in 1 month time. I AM A BEGINNER - and I can't even run 1K without stopping for walks.

For the runners out there - please give me some sound advise about my situation on how to do it, Please? I am trying not to backout.

NOTE: I have been doing Jilliam M. exercises for more than 2 months now and I don't complain about leg pains at all.

Replies

• asaw00
    asaw00 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    You can do it especially since you've already started running. I did a 5k last year and had only trained for 2 weeks prior. I was not completely out of shape I had been doing the Jillian Micheals workouts. Plus you still have a month to get ready. You can find running schedules on line to help, couch to 5k. You can do it!!
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I might recommend starting the C25K program, even though it is a bit longer than you have until the 5K. But, it will help you get your training program more routine. And you can always finish the program and do another 5K after.

Make sure you have a good pair of running shoes and don't be afraid of walking. You don't want to start barely running 1K to trying to run 5K in a week's time. If you try it, it will likely be discouraging and could help you get hurt.

Even if you have to walk and run during the race, don't worry about your time, just get out there and do it-- even if you finish last, which you probably won't, you will beat everyone who stayed home.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    If you're already in decent shape, I'd say sure. Just don't be looking to break any speed records, and know that there's nothing wrong with run/walk intervals. I'd dump the Jillian stuff and just concentrate on building up your running incrementally and slowly. I'd build on time rather than distance and build up to where you can run 30min nonstop (or close to it). Add 3-5 min to your daily runs every week. Always err on the side of conservative and listen to your body.

And don't forget carb loading!
  • ReneeDawalga5100
    ReneeDawalga5100 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation as you. I am signed up for a race (what was I thinking) in May and I can't even run to the mail box. I started training indoors (still snowing here) on March 15 with the c25k. I've gone a wee bit faster, and am on week 5 day 3 (the 20 min run) but could only last 15 mins because my toes were hurting me.

Maybe we can become friends, and help each other out. My race is on the 17th, the breast cancer one.....
  • elghee123
    elghee123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advices and share!

I am taking notes of all what is written here.

Renee, I have added you and good luck to both of us. I'd say we're probably just too excited to go for a RUN!
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Definitely follow the C25K plan, that's very doable. Running 3.2 miles seems daunting but you are capable of more than you think you are. I've done 5K's on thanksgiving after not running for months and run the whole thing. Take it slow and do the run/walk thing if you need during the race, you'll do great!
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    For the runners out there - please give me some sound advise about my situation on how to do it, Please? I am trying not to backout.

NOTE: I have been doing Jilliam M. exercises for more than 2 months now and I don't complain about leg pains at all.

Yes! You can do it. Be sure you have a great pair of shoes. Just for you, and every beginning runner out there have a look at this:

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/50933/5K-Novice-Training-Program

Hal Higdon's website is one of the best, if not THE best site for us newbies --yes, I have just started my "novice" training to do a half marathon.

~Charles~
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Can you do a 5k in a month ? Sure. Can you do it all running ? Maybe not. Does it matter if you have to walk some of it ? Of course not. Should you be proud that you're doing it however you end up finishing it ? Yes of course, we all start somewhere and chances are your friends will push you on and you'll achieve it no problem.

One thing I will say is try not to put too much pressure on yourself to run the whole thing, if you can't do it don't be afraid to walk a bit and most of all enjoy the training and lose yourself in the moment :) oh yes and shoes as others have mentioned.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I swear by Jeff Galloway's training for any distance. Use the Run/Walk/Run method and you will finish it and finish it faster than you ever though you could.

(http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/run-walk/)

Basically you run for #m##s and walk for #m##s. The time is up to you.

Example: Run/Jog for 3m00s, then walk for 0m30s minutes which will allow your legs to recover. Then repeat. The amount of time for each is up to you.

When I started last year I was running for 4m30s minutes (6mph) and then walking for 0m30s minutes. Now, a year later I run for 6m00s minutes (7-8mph) and walk for 0m20s minutes.

I went from the couch to half marathon in less than 4 months doing that.

You may feel like a fool during a race doing it, but force yourself to do it. I didn't my first 8K and paid for it 4 miles in with 1 mile left. Finished in 48 minutes and was dying.

The following 8K a few weeks later I forced myself to R/W/R. I felt dumb as I pass people, then walk and they pass me right out of the gate. I picked them off one by one and finished in under 45 minutes and could have gone another 8K.
  • verhunzt
    verhunzt Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You say that you can't run 1k without stopping, I am pretty sure you can!
    How fast do you start out running? If you're aiming for distance you don't have to be super fast! You will find yourself being able to run for so much longer if you just start out very slow!
    I used to go crazy on my speed which was why I hated running!
    I then started to make myself run not much faster than 4mph and I was could run way more than 5k straight.
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I swear by Jeff Galloway's training for any distance. Use the Run/Walk/Run method and you will finish it and finish it faster than you ever though you could.

(http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/run-walk/)

Basically you run for #:## and walk for #:##. The time is up to you.

Example: Run/Jog for 3:00 minutes, then walk for 0:30 minutes which will allow your legs to recover. Then repeat. The amount of time for each is up to you.

When I started last year I was running for 4:30 minutes (6mph) and then walking for :30 minutes. Now, a year later I run for 6:00 minutes (7-8mph) and walk for :20 minutes.

I went from the couch to half marathon in less than 4 months doing that.

You may feel like a fool during a race doing it. But force yourself to do it. I didn't my first 8K and paid for it 4 miles in with 1 mile left. Finished in 48 minutes and was dying.

The following 8K a few weeks later I forced myself to R/W/R. I felt dumb as I pass people, then walk and they pass me right out of the gate. I picked them all off one by one and finished in under 45 minutes and could have gone another 8K.

This! It will totally help your confidence too knowing that your walk breaks are planned and not because you reached your limit. This is my plan for my upcoming half marathon. I did it on my last long training run and was nearly 2 minutes per mile under what I thought would be a reasonable half pace.

You got this!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    "TOPIC: Is it possible to do 5K run in May for a beginner?"

Yes.
  • elghee123
    elghee123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Looks like I need to track by time and distance now.

As for the comfort shoes, I have a very comfy shoes but old and getting wornout. I recently bought an on sale cheap running shoes but it's hurting my toes. I might used to old running shoes as I could not afford a new one for now.
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I think it's possible, I only started running in the past 3 weeks and I am doing my first 5K this weekend.

Now I may not be the fastest person out there and I'm sure I will stop and walk a few times during the race, but I'm not shooting for perfection at this point anyhow.

Go and have fun!
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options

I disagree. At this distance, you shouldn't have to worry about tweaking your macros.

I've been trying to decrease my carbs and maximize protein, and I just set a new 8k PR just fine without carbo-loading. OTOH, I did have a bagel that morning, rather than a McD's Sausage Burrito. But don't get carried away with extra carbs.

Edited to add: I wasn't ready for my first 5k at 4 months of training. I ran and walked and ran some more and I had a great time anyway. Have a good race, enjoy the experience.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I will be in the minority and say No, at least not without pushing yourself to the point where you will risk going too fast, too long, too soon and setting your entire workout routine back by several weeks. You cannot go in one month from not being able to run 1K to running 5K. Walking 5K, sure, actually running, even with intervals, it is not worth the risk. I am assuming you are in general a beginner in exercising, not someone who is e.g. routinely cycling or dancing etc.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Sure. Most anyone is not extremely out of shape can pull a 5k out of their a.. when need be. That distance is mostly mental if speed isn't really a concern. The trick is to get some mileage on those legs beforehand so you don't hurt yourself in the process.

Along with everyone's suggestions on a training program, a few things that helped me when I first started out:

-Find a day each week to just walk the distance just to get the mileage on your legs. Just a slow, relaxed, fun walk. Just introduce the mileage to your legs.

-When you are jogging realize that slowing down your jog to recover sucks a whole lot less than stopping or walking to recover and starting to jog again. Go ahead and learn this the hard way if ya want.

-Learn your pace per distance. Just starting out, find a pace where its possible (not particularly easy but possible) to carry on a conversation. Race day it may be a little different but for training and just starting out, find that pace for you.

-Warm up those legs. Start out with a warm up walk and then work up to a jog and back down to a walk before you start. Starting out on cold legs sucks, hurts, and makes you more prone to injury.

Just a few tips to help you to remain injury free. Don't stress out about a 5k. They are fun ad there will be people walking the entire thing. Just do what you can beforehand to avoid injury and get some mileage on your legs so you can enjoy it.

Oh, and on race day, don't blow your body up on mile 1 thinking you are super women because of the excitement of the race. :)
  • turtledove773
    turtledove773 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind you don't HAVE to run/jog the whole thing... just do what you can! Just finishing it would be a big accomplishment!
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Looks like I need to track by time and distance now.

As for the comfort shoes, I have a very comfy shoes but old and getting wornout. I recently bought an on sale cheap running shoes but it's hurting my toes. I might used to old running shoes as I could not afford a new one for now.

I know it's only 5k but if you're planning on continuing to do a bit of running before and after the 5k please go to a proper running store and get you gait analysis done and a proper pair of running shoes that match your gait, old shoes don't have the same cushioning in them and you can end up with injuries (I have 3 pairs of running shoes that I rotate (technically 4 if I count my trail shoes), wear each pair once a week so they last longer, a reasonable pair of running shoes should last between 400-600 miles. It will save your ankles, knees and hips when you're out running.

You don't really need to carb load for a 5k, I only start looking at carb loading when I'm at 16miles or above (even then I don't always).

On race day, go straight to the toilets as you'll have to wair ages in the queue, start at the back of the pack (running with the elite runners that do this in 15min means you're knackered after 100m), smile and enjoy, my first 5k took me 40min so probably not even as long as your workout DVD.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

I disagree. At this distance, you shouldn't have to worry about tweaking your macros.

I've been trying to decrease my carbs and maximize protein, and I just set a new 8k PR just fine without carbo-loading. OTOH, I did have a bagel that morning, rather than a McD's Sausage Burrito. But don't get carried away with extra carbs.

Edited to add: I wasn't ready for my first 5k at 4 months of training. I ran and walked and ran some more and I had a great time anyway. Have a good race, enjoy the experience.

Not even on April fool's day? Sheesh. Enjoy your wall ;)