Is it possible to do 5K run in May for a beginner?

2»

Replies

• elghee123
    elghee123 Posts: 489 Member
    I will be in the minority and say No, at least not without pushing yourself to the point where you will risk going too fast, too long, too soon and setting your entire workout routine back by several weeks. You cannot go in one month from not being able to run 1K to running 5K. Walking 5K, sure, actually running, even with intervals, it is not worth the risk. I am assuming you are in general a beginner in exercising, not someone who is e.g. routinely cycling or dancing etc.

What I meant was that I can not run 1KM in one go. I think I have done 5K but it was more of a combination of jogging and walking. And yes, I am a beginner at exercising but I have done Jillian's 30Day Shred for 2 rounds and that gave me a motivation to gofor this.

Will that be a problem?
  • I think it is. I am just curious how long and far your runs are at the moment.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    you can always walk during the 5K. no one will look down on you for walking.
  • elghee123
    Thank you to everyone who gave me tips. I will keep this as my list.

For the shoes - I will find a better one.
  • elghee123
    I think it is. I am just curious how long and far your runs are at the moment.

For the distance - I just found out yesterday while tracing the map online that I could do 5K but that's on my own pace with combination or walk and jogging. Though I think I did it for more than 30 minutes, that I am sure.
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    So you have to walk some of it, big deal. Do it anyway. Jog what you can, take a break and walk, catch your breath and go again. I've walked some 5k's, I've jogged some 5k's and I've done a mix of walking and jogging. You will feel so great about yourself when you're done and you should. I say go for it!
  • mbeuchert24
    mbeuchert24 Posts: 204 Member
    I just participated in a 5K on Saturday, and by participated I mean I walked the majority of it LOL. I didn't do anything to get ready for it either, but it just pushed me to start working on running. I am doing another 5K this Saturday. I walked/ran one mile on Wednesday, and will do another tomorrow. That is about all I am doing right now. But I hope to get back into the C25K program again.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    If you can already walk the 5k, then go for it :) Just make sure it is about fun and participating and do not push yourself for speed or be ashamed of walking/running intervals.
  • MissesBee
    MissesBee Posts: 40 Member
    I only started running about 2 year ago and ended up doing a 10k a couple of months later. I didn't get an overly good time for finishing it but I was just proud of myself for completing it. It really got me into organised running though and I've done a few since trying to improve on my time. It can be done but just don't push yourself too much!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    I will be in the minority and say No, at least not without pushing yourself to the point where you will risk going too fast, too long, too soon and setting your entire workout routine back by several weeks. You cannot go in one month from not being able to run 1K to running 5K. Walking 5K, sure, actually running, even with intervals, it is not worth the risk. I am assuming you are in general a beginner in exercising, not someone who is e.g. routinely cycling or dancing etc.

What I meant was that I can not run 1KM in one go. I think I have done 5K but it was more of a combination of jogging and walking. And yes, I am a beginner at exercising but I have done Jillian's 30Day Shred for 2 rounds and that gave me a motivation to gofor this.

Will that be a problem?

If you want to get better at running, run. If you want to get better at whatever they do on the DVDs, then do the DVDs. The DVDs =/= running.
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 674 Member
    Heck yea! And be warned…racing (no matter the distance) becomes addictive. I started with 5k's and went to half marathons. The half is my favorite distance!