going to a friends house, what's appropriate?

Options
2»

Replies

• oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    This friend knows that im counting calories, so i dont think it would be that bad if i brought my own snack for the day. since her family would never do such a thing as counting calories, food selection over there can become an issue. last time i was there i ended up eating 660 calories worth of one cup of soup, and thats more calories then i like to give myself for lunch... not too much more, but its freaking soup and i'd like a side with that but i couldnt.
    problem being, if i brought something i feel the need to bring her some too. but i cant really afford that, financially and for the sake of my every day calorie plans. (im may need it later, i mean)
    we're pretty close and we've always shared our food, but if i bring only something for me and share it, it will throw off my count >.<
    I feel like a jerk for all this, but idk what would be appropriate and polite and still keep my goals in check...
    what would you guys do?

I am wondering.....
    Cup-of-soup has anywhere from 47 calories for lets say an envelope of Spring vegetable soup to 71 calories for Chicken noodle soup and you blame your friends for your eating anywhere from 9 to 14 portions ( depending on the soup ) of the stuff ? Did they tie you down and force feed you ? Anything that is more nutritious than that is appropriate to take......

She didn't say the cup of soup brand. She said a cup of soup. There are plenty of soups out there that are not low in fat or calories if they are made with cream or other calorie dense ingredients. It's entirely possible to get that many calories from a full fat potato, baked potato, or cheese based soup.
  • monstergirl14
    monstergirl14 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    This friend knows that im counting calories, so i dont think it would be that bad if i brought my own snack for the day. since her family would never do such a thing as counting calories, food selection over there can become an issue. last time i was there i ended up eating 660 calories worth of one cup of soup, and thats more calories then i like to give myself for lunch... not too much more, but its freaking soup and i'd like a side with that but i couldnt.
    problem being, if i brought something i feel the need to bring her some too. but i cant really afford that, financially and for the sake of my every day calorie plans. (im may need it later, i mean)
    we're pretty close and we've always shared our food, but if i bring only something for me and share it, it will throw off my count >.<
    I feel like a jerk for all this, but idk what would be appropriate and polite and still keep my goals in check...
    what would you guys do?

I am wondering.....
    Cup-of-soup has anywhere from 47 calories for lets say an envelope of Spring vegetable soup to 71 calories for Chicken noodle soup and you blame your friends for your eating anywhere from 9 to 14 portions ( depending on the soup ) of the stuff ? Did they tie you down and force feed you ? Anything that is more nutritious than that is appropriate to take......

I think you may have misunderstood..
  • LJGettinSexy
    LJGettinSexy Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Um, I say eat what they are eating. It is ONE day. One day will not undo all your progress.

This!
  • aribugg
    aribugg Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    thanks for the recipe ideas! i dont have ingredients today, but i'll remember them in the future :] the thing is i do go over there quite a bit, so i guess i'll just talk to her about it like you guys said. last time we did talk about it a little, so i'll just pick that up and explain further. thanks guys <3
  • onionparsleysage
    onionparsleysage Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    You seem young, so I will say that I DO think it's rude to show up with food that you're not prepared to share.

Think of things that are cheap - like potatoes, tuna fish, salads, etc.

And definitely chat with your friend! I'm sure she can understand. And cooking together is always fun :)
    But you should be able to figure out how many calories you're eating. Eating a bowl of 660 calorie soup will fill you up more than a bowl of 47 calorie soup.
  • OwlsInTheAttic
    OwlsInTheAttic Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If I was in your situation, I would offer to bring a salad. You could make a pretty good amount of simple salad for about $5 if you have dressing already (lemon juice and a bit of olive oil are an alternative as well). Costco has a great kale salad bag that's about that much and it comes with everything.
    I get it if money's tight and you can't really do that either. In that case I would just get a really good workout in before the party, fill up on something low calorie before going and just have small amounts of what they're offering there. Like a lot of people said, going over your calorie goal one day in a while isn't going to affect your long term plans.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I say.... work out extra to give yourself a little wiggle room... if it seems like whatever they are eating is way more calories than you should be getting... don't finish the whole plate/bowl of whatever. You're going to have to find little ways to get around these scenarios for the rest of your life... do you always want to be carrying around little baggies of your own snack and smack your friends' hand when they eat some of it? You've just gotta learn to be flexible :)
  • direwolf013
    Options
    what would you guys do?

I am wondering.....

I don't believe the OP was referring to Cup-o-Soup. She had a cup (8oz) of soup from what I take away from reading her post. I have made some terribly high calorie soups in my day, including ones that called for a full block of velvetta cheese. It's hard to eat at friends houses when they and their family have no regard for what is in their meals.

OP if you know that what is going to be eaten is going to be high calories/fat/whatever prepair yourself for it. Shave a few here or there. Maybe even suggest healthier ways to prepare what is going to be made, as long as you are not stepping on toes very hard, lol. I have made some of my favorite dishes much healthier, by cutting amounts of oils, substituting sweeetner for sugar, and such. Heck I took a recipe for 100 calorie blueberry muffins and got it down to 80 calories per muffin.... great... now I want a muffin.