Help with new clothes!

Options
I figure since everyone here (or for the most part) is in maintenance then at some point you have had to buy new clothes. I am down 4 sizes from where I started and I'm basically buying a whole new wardrobe. Yeah for weight loss! Boo for being broke! It's 80 here this week and I am in desperate need of shorts. I don't ming buying new, since I plan to stay where I am size-wise. Where did you find the best deals getting new clothes??

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Online is my personal favourite, such goooood deals.
  • Praying_Mantis
    Praying_Mantis Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I go to our local thrift store, especially for shorts. Though to be fair, today's high will be 55 deg F. No shorts until July!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    TjMaxx is my go to- occasionally Target (hate what they are coming out with these days)

I tap Forever 21 occasionally ( really hit or miss) Penny's has good reliable stuff (I need work clothes)

Burlington Coat Factory is my go to source for dresses!!!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I have become a discerning thrift shopper - which is helpful given that I had to build a new wardrobe from scratch, since the "skinny clothes" I had kept around were too big once I hit my goal weight!

I've gotten incredible deals, almost always mall-brand (BR, Gap, Ann Taylor) and sometimes designer brand. Often new with tags for a fraction of the price. Thift and consignment make up most of my closet. I do have to buy jeans/pants new, usually, because talls are harder to come by.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    usually, because talls are harder to come by.

RIGHT?!?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores.

I have a credit card I put everything (groceries etc.) on that gives me coupons for LL Bean. I get all my new clothes there for, essentially free.

I bought a sewing machine and took in all my clothes - yes, 4 sizes.
  • jhellwig828
    jhellwig828 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Oh man I wish I could sew! I have a lot of clothes that I love and am sad they don't fit anymore. I mean I'm happy with the weight loss...you know what I mean!! I'd love to be able to tailor stuff myself!

ETA: I can't type.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I went to Old Navy, Gap, and Banana Republic outlet stores, during a sale, with bonus bucks back. I use my ON credit card, earn the bucks back, use them at those stores. Sometimes you can find good stuff at the Thrift stores, it just takes some time to sift through everything. I also like Danskin stuff from Walmart. I dress pretty casually, though. I have no advice for business or dressy clothes.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Oh man I wish I could sew! I have a lot of clothes that I love and am sad they don't fit anymore. I mean I'm happy with the weight loss...you know what I mean!! I'd love to be able to tailor stuff myself!

ETA: I can't type.

Start with stuff you love and do the easy things that are pretty but loose. With pants, practice with a pair of something with an elastic waist. Take it in at the back seam. Then just slim the outer seams. See how it works. If it doesn't fit now, you haven't lost anything.

I did a lot of my nice tunic shirts by taking little tucks in the back to make a nice bloused pleat at the back. Sometimes princess seamed. Sometimes just pinching together at the back waist and sewing it together. They look like they're made that way.

You can take in sleeveless shirts by taking in the side seams pretty easily. Surprisingly, it's under the armpit that needs the most fitting.

It is hardest to take in pants with waistbands, but there are some good youtube videos on how to do it. To do it right, you unsew the waist, take in the seat, then sew the waistband back in. But often you can just tuck and sew and no one is the wiser.

Dresses mostly need to be taken in with princess seams and at the armpit. Skirts are like pants.

Play with it. I learned to sew making Barbie dresses by hand out of old scraps of fabric - just pinch and tuck until it looks right and sew in place. It works the same with big girl dresses.
  • dlbredesen
    dlbredesen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I had no summer clothes since I was a size 14/16 last summer and now a 6/8. I have slowly built up a new (to me) summer wardrobe from Savers, Goodwill and Salvation Army thrift stores. Great stuff, fabulous prices and I got a 30% off coupon for donating my too big clothes. I love thrifting!!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you can find good stuff at the Thrift stores, it just takes some time to sift through everything.

The sifting can be hard, but one of our local thrift stores offers a FREE personal shopping service. It's amazing - you give her your size and style information and show up to a rack full of outfits and single pieces, accessories and all, chosen for you. You get a private dressing room, try things on, get the stylist's opinion, and buy what you want. I've had two of these appointments and they filled my closet with great stuff.

Twin Cities people - this is Arc's Value Village. Find the personal shopper on FB, where she posts all open appointments. You're welcome :)
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    thrift store. ross. marshalls.
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Old Navy online. I'm super duper tall, so have to buy everything online anyway, but if you sign up for Old Navy's emails they send 20-30% off codes all the time.
  • mlanders22
    mlanders22 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you can find good stuff at the Thrift stores, it just takes some time to sift through everything.

The sifting can be hard, but one of our local thrift stores offers a FREE personal shopping service. It's amazing - you give her your size and style information and show up to a rack full of outfits and single pieces, accessories and all, chosen for you. You get a private dressing room, try things on, get the stylist's opinion, and buy what you want. I've had two of these appointments and they filled my closet with great stuff.

Twin Cities people - this is Arc's Value Village. Find the personal shopper on FB, where she posts all open appointments. You're welcome :)

You are amazing for sharing this knowledge. Thank you!
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    OP.... There are some things you'll want to buy new , but go to the thrift stores and restock a few basics like shorts and jeans.

Burlington Coat Factory is another good store ...
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I like Amazon.com. I'm still losing weight so what I do is put clothes that are like 10% off in the Save For Later section (you add it to your cart then go to your cart and click Save For Later). Then everytime you go to your cart, it will tell you if the price changed. You can also see if there are only a few left in your size. Amazon must cycle through clothes really quickly because I have gotten dresses for over $90 off. I got one dress for $15. I think the full retail on it was $75 or $85.

You won't be able to get shorts today using that method but it's good to know to slowly restock your closet. Congrats on your weight loss!

ETA: The prices on sale items on Amazon change almost daily. Sometimes they go up but they almost always go down. Somethings you might watch for a month or so before they drop but other things you may only watch for a few days before the price drops by half!
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I buy a bunch of stuff at once online from favorite retailers that have a brick and mortar near by. New York and Company is one of my favorites. There are always great coupons to be found and always sales going on, which can be combined in many cases. I'll use a coupon and order when they have free shipping, try it on at home and take back what doesn't work to the store. There is usually a better selection of sizes, etc. online and often styles that are only available online.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Old Navy is my favorite. Their bases prices are pretty reasonable, but I normally shop on clearance, have rewards from using their credit card, and/or have some other kind of coupon/promotion (or ideally all 3!). The last time I went shopping there... I bought 2 dresses, 2 tank tops, and a pair of shoes and only had to pay $2 out of my pocket. :) That $2 outing is definitely on the very extreme end, but I do generally find some great deals there.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Burlington, Marshall's, JC Penney, TJ Maxx, Macy's (If you have their credit card you can score great deals). I have never bee a big thrift shopper I hate "sifting" but I am sure you can find excellent deals if you don't mind going through stuff.
  • AusAshMommy
    AusAshMommy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Consignment shops (hitting on this weekend for shorts - like you mine from last summer don't fit anymore)

Wal-Mart for necessities such as underwear/socks/clearance tees

I like Old Navy and Target Clearance racks myself.

And my gracious co-workers have given me a lot of stuff too! So that's been a blessing as well!