Help with new clothes!

Options

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    do you Old Navy lovers find their qualitly is low? I never have luck with their clothing lasting more than 1-2 seasons. Not the best quality, but cute stuff at times.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    do you Old Navy lovers find their qualitly is low? I never have luck with their clothing lasting more than 1-2 seasons. Not the best quality, but cute stuff at times.

I haven't really had any issues with quality. I wear their active wear very frequently and haven't noticed any wear and tear.

As far as the regular clothes - also haven't really noticed any issues. I have a fairly large wardrobe (I prefer quantity over quality which may not be the case for everyone!) so I tend to maybe wear a given shirt once every couple or three weeks or something like that. I do wear my jeans more frequently and they have held up well for me.

I also find that I sometimes get sick of clothes after a couple of years anyway and end up donating them to Good Will at that point (when they are still in OK shape)... so I really can't comment on very long-term wear.
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    If you have clothes you really love, and you can't sew, having them altered may be an option. Where I live there is a woman in town who does alterations out of her home.....it's not that expensive, definitely cheaper than buying new clothes.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I feel ya! I have been through this quite a bit. I started out at size 22, and lost about 35-40 lb and then a tornado hit and I lost every item of clothing (except like 4 pairs of undies, a bra, and 2 dresses I found in my yard afterward). So I had to buy everything new even though my size hadn't really changed. I found GREAT stuff in thrift stores in size 22 and 2X. Truly excellent finds and very cheap.

When I joined MFP a couple of years later, when started I was going from size 22 down to an 18, and still I found tons of great clothes. But then...once I hit size 16 last fall, it seemed like it was next to impossible to find higher quality cute clothes secondhand. I guess it must vary by place, or something, but I often hit the women's clothing racks and there's a ton of sizes 3-10 and then a ton of sizes 18+ and nothing in 12-16! Maybe because soooo many women wear 12-16? I don't know!! But it was a very weird shock to me.

Since then I have bought a lot of clothing from clearance racks at stores like Target, Macy's, JC Penney, Kohl's, etc. I love Target especially some of their juniors XL and XXL. Last fall/winter I loved Target's Fit 4 skinnies in a 16 but now that those are too big, I'm a big fan of Wallflowers juniors "Luscious Curvy" skinnies which I buy on Amazon for only like $20. I have found some great stuff that way, just trolling Amazon and paying close attention to customer reviews.

But I'm getting off track here...clearance racks. And stores like Ross, Marshalls, TJ Maxx...LOVE THOSE!!!

Mostly for me it's been a matter of learning to live with a smaller "capsule" wardrobe and to get rid of those old ideas that I MUST HAVE 10 pairs of jeans, every single color of dress pants, 20 warm sweaters, etc. When I went from 22 to 18, I basically replaced every single thing in my closet -- it took me years to go from 22 to 18, so I figured I was "safe" but then a few months later the 18s looked awful. So I got smarter with 16s and it hasn't been traumatic to go to a 14 and now I know not to get too attached ;-)
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    The Limited is great for work clothes-- the quality is really good and the prices aren't too high. They often have Buy 1 Get 1 sales on pants, skirts, blazers and dresses. They also have petite sizing online, if that's something you need.

I have to admit that Forever 21 has some good buys if you have the patience to sift through the ultra-trendy and junky stuff. A lot of their clothes are of surprisingly good quality, and the fit is perfect if you're on the smaller side. I've heard Uniqlo is similarly good (but we don't have one of those here yet!).
  • MrsTaraDStringer
    MrsTaraDStringer Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Ebay! Just make sure you select women's!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'm in love with the flare dresses from Old Navy. Otherwise, I buy the cheap shirts at Kohls when they have a 30% coupon.
  • seltzermint555
    Options

I don't really care for Old Navy for this reason.

Although it just lasting 1-2 seasons wouldn't really be a problem for me lately with still changing sizes, I find their prices are not THAT cheap (with some obvious exceptions like sale-price lounge/pj pants and t-shirts). I can either buy a $24.50 shirt from Old Navy that will start looking rough in 3 washes, or spend $12 each on two clearance tops from Macy's or at TJ Maxx and they will look amazing in a year. Just my experience -- I am not trying to contradict others who have had better experiences with Old Navy. Mostly I'm just really cheap and for me to spend over $20 on a single top it better be awesome.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

Although it just lasting 1-2 seasons wouldn't really be a problem for me lately with still changing sizes, I find their prices are not THAT cheap (with some obvious exceptions like sale-price lounge/pj pants and t-shirts). I can either buy a $24.50 shirt from Old Navy that will start looking rough in 3 washes, or spend $12 each on two clearance tops from Macy's or at TJ Maxx and they will look amazing in a year. Just my experience -- I am not trying to contradict others who have had better experiences with Old Navy. Mostly I'm just really cheap and for me to spend over $20 on a single top it better be awesome.

For me it's not that Old Navy clothes are falling apart after 2 seasons, but that they feel and look cheap. Fabrics that stretch out and fade easily, poor construction and fit, chintzy finishes, etc. Even straight off the rack they're not that enjoyable to wear.
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Consignment and the clearance rack work for me....

Have fun and only buy 2 or 3 items at a time....
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm personally only down 1.5 to 2 sizes so far but here is where I've been finding my stuff:

-Old Navy Clearance!!
    -Clearance pretty much everywhere
    -Taking favorites or really expensive stuff to taylor (Ie Dress pants, dresses, some blouses)
    -easy stuff I'm taking myself
    -My friends!! Lots of my friends have been giving me hand-me-downs in the smaller sizes as a "reward" I guess but it sure does help the budget!! I'll post on my FB what I'm looking for and generally I'll get a couple responses. I've gotten two pairs of pants, a blazer, a coat and shoes just doing that!!
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    One more thing to add to the sewing. Don't forget about youtube or even goggling how to tailor certain articles of clothing. There are so many tutorials on how to do this that it makes taking things in and adjusting them very easy. I've even learned how to take in my old jeans and turn them into skinny and straight legs. It's so easily accessible and the variety is so much, that I think you can get up to an intermediate level of sewing just by using the internet. For more advance things like using a surger, sewing more delicate types of fabric, and draping, that might take an actual class. But if you're just looking to take in some pants, look to the Google for aid!
  • sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I like thrift and consignment shops for cute tops, sweaters, jackets, skirts and dresses. For shorts and pants, I haven't had as much luck. I picked up 2 pr of DKNY shorts at the Costco warehouse for $15 or so each in my new size. I have purchased pants at Costco as well. There is no place to try anything on so I have purchased multiple sizes and returned those that didn't fit. I often email my friends when I buy something there so we don't end up as twinsies because of their limited selection!
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options

No offense taken at all,but I very rarely consider buying an item that's over $20 at Old Navy.. hahha. I am very cheap :D I've just had a lot of success with their clearance items and other discounts. I don't necessarily think Old Navy clothes are super great quality, but I don't notice much difference compared to other stores' brands such as Target, JCP, etc.
  • Minouche1922
    Minouche1922 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Check out. Www.clothingattesco.com. They are English but deliver in 70 countries. Their stuff is really trendy. Delivery is cheap too.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I live in thrift stores, just because we are too broke to shop anywhere else. However, that being said - If you go to the ones in the nicer parts of town, I find brand names, sometimes with tags still on them.

I love to "color" shop - find whatever tags are marked 99 cents and have at it - for $10 I get lots of new stuff and when I change sizes, I just have more to donate (or plan a garage sale) so I have money to shop again.
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Quality of clothing tends to come down to the consumer to be honest... if you don't follow the washing instructions or are super rough on your clothes even high "quality" stuff will look bad. Just saying... cuz I've learned that the hard way lol!!
  • seltzermint555
    Options

For me it's not that Old Navy clothes are falling apart after 2 seasons, but that they feel and look cheap. Fabrics that stretch out and fade easily, poor construction and fit, chintzy finishes, etc. Even straight off the rack they're not that enjoyable to wear.

I think you summed up why I don't think they are inexpensive. If I buy a sorta crappy quality cardigan from Walmart and it fades in a season and starts to pill, I expect that and don't mind too much because it was under ten bucks. But Old Navy prices are more similar to stores where the clothes are good quality...making it seem like a huge ripoff to me.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I love TJ Maxx and Marshalls but it can be hit or miss if you are looking for specific items. I like Old Navy, especially their workout clothes. I don't have a problem with Old Navy quality but other then their workout stuff I am just buying T shirts and jeans, basics really. I find good stuff at Kohls on line and also Macy's clearance section online is really cheap sometimes but the items go fast.

I don't usually shop without a coupon and if you are doing Kohl's or Old Navy just because your emails says 20 or 30% off you can generally Google and find a better discount code. Also Old Navy has a pop up add usually when you go to their site 20, 30 % but if you are not happy with the percent you see close out the browser and open it in another one and 40% might pop.

Target is hit or miss for me. Costco and even Sam's have good stuff here and there. Bonus if they had dressing rooms.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of TJ Maxx, Ross Dress for Less, Old Navy, Maurices (sweet deals and clearance) and Kohl's. To get deals you just have to be willing to dig and wait for things to go on sale.

I'd say thrift stores, but many times I personally don't have much luck there, but then again, I haven't been for a while.

*off to the thrift shop, maybe they'll have a broken keyboard*