Corporate Cafeteria Food Rant.

Options
2»

Replies

• 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    I keep some MIO or something in my desk and have a refillable gallon jug.

It's not that they don't want to keep healthier choices out, they want to put in choices that sell.

The choice they got rid of was Pepsi Next.....only 100 cals, half the carbs, half the sugar and no aspartame.

I am already at work so wanted to get something.....but i might try the fresh fruit in the water for tomorrow!

I really really dislike the mio which is why I was using the Lipton flavor packets with green tea, honey and fruit flavor.

I don't drink a ton of soda, just to clarify.....It's like one every three weeks. but I wanted one today since I had no flavored water stuff. I know water is great and wonderful and I will drink several bottles in a day if i can flavor it. It's just frustrating because this cafeteria has all these options, oriental food, grill, deli, pizzeria, salad bar, and a lot of beverage options but all the options were the same except the one they took away, which is the one I wanted....and now i feel like i need a back up plan [for my back up plan actually. double failure] they even sell pre-packaged snacks, why can't they sell flavored water or flavor packets for my water?!?

I am overthinking this. I do that. I am just thirty, frustrated and still struggling through my first bottle of the day. Usually I drink three or more.

Why can't you buy your own flavor packets at the store and bring them to work? (A) It's be cheaper and (B) you won't have to deal with the frustration of the cafeteria not taking your preferences into account when they place their orders. :flowerforyou:
  • fredman2
    fredman2 Posts: 57
    Options
    does the sugar free lemonade have aspartame? if not, what brand is it? because crystal light has aspartame.

Yes, it has aspertame in it. (Great Value - Wally World brand - 1/3rd less $$ than CL)

I guess when you balance the convenience with the cost, it's hard to 'have everything'.
  • thohan99
    thohan99 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    “It is difficult to find anything more healthy to drink than good cold water, such as flows down to us from springs and snows of our mountains. This is the beverage we should drink. It should be our drink at all times.” - Brigham Young

This may not apply if you don't have any mountains. That said, if you can't drink straight water, that's a bit of a roadblock. That said, it looks like you're making good progress without it.
  • alyjb1121
    alyjb1121 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I keep some MIO or something in my desk and have a refillable gallon jug.

It's not that they don't want to keep healthier choices out, they want to put in choices that sell.

The choice they got rid of was Pepsi Next.....only 100 cals, half the carbs, half the sugar and no aspartame.

I am already at work so wanted to get something.....but i might try the fresh fruit in the water for tomorrow!

I really really dislike the mio which is why I was using the Lipton flavor packets with green tea, honey and fruit flavor.

I don't drink a ton of soda, just to clarify.....It's like one every three weeks. but I wanted one today since I had no flavored water stuff. I know water is great and wonderful and I will drink several bottles in a day if i can flavor it. It's just frustrating because this cafeteria has all these options, oriental food, grill, deli, pizzeria, salad bar, and a lot of beverage options but all the options were the same except the one they took away, which is the one I wanted....and now i feel like i need a back up plan [for my back up plan actually. double failure] they even sell pre-packaged snacks, why can't they sell flavored water or flavor packets for my water?!?

I am overthinking this. I do that. I am just thirty, frustrated and still struggling through my first bottle of the day. Usually I drink three or more.

Why can't you buy your own flavor packets at the store and bring them to work? (A) It's be cheaper and (B) you won't have to deal with the frustration of the cafeteria not taking your preferences into account when they place their orders. :flowerforyou:

I have a whole box of them in my desk. I forgot my drawer key. Lesson learned, they are no back up plans.
  • alyjb1121
    alyjb1121 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    “It is difficult to find anything more healthy to drink than good cold water, such as flows down to us from springs and snows of our mountains. This is the beverage we should drink. It should be our drink at all times.” - Brigham Young

This may not apply if you don't have any mountains. That said, if you can't drink straight water, that's a bit of a roadblock. That said, it looks like you're making good progress without it.

Thank you to the progress part! I really do try with the water. I just have an aversion to it plain.
    It's even worse when you have to make gluten and dairy free choices. Been sick more times than I'd like down there. And yet I still make the mistake of thinking I can eat down there... sigh

I feel for you, gluten intolerance is super tough, my cousin has celiac and I have seen her on that road.
    does the sugar free lemonade have aspartame? if not, what brand is it? because crystal light has aspartame.

Yes, it has aspertame in it. (Great Value - Wally World brand - 1/3rd less $$ than CL)

I guess when you balance the convenience with the cost, it's hard to 'have everything'.

This is so true, and why everyone has to pick there own battles. I would have never picked a battle with a sugar substitute, until I found out the affects they had on my brain and since I already have a diagnosis that the aspartame is counterproductive to, it is now a personal decision important to me and I understand it may not be important to others.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Thank you to the progress part! I really do try with the water. I just have an aversion to it plain.

If you don't like plain water then why not try flavored seltzer water, like the polar brand? No aspartame just carbonated water and flavor. Or add some lemon to your water. They make this stuff called True Lemon and it's dehydrated lemon in packets. No sugar and it's good. Or make some iced tea or lemonade at home, bottle it up and bring it to work with you. Money saved AND you don't have to worry about whether or not the cafeteria has what you want.