Soda addiction

Options
124»

Replies

• Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Try flavored seltzer I am a big fan of seltzer.
  • asciident
    asciident Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I like soda (not diet!) and have no intention of quitting. But I have cut back and switched to the mini cans. At restaurants I usually just order water or coffee now. It's cheaper anyway.
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I struggled with soda too. I would drink a 2 liter of diet coke just while I was at work, then go home and drink more. I would still get water in but still that's so much. For various reasons I decided to stop with the diet cokes. I would start limiting myself to two a day (12 ounce cans) and then I went to one a day, then I went to every other day and so on. Now, I've switched to sparkling water. It comes in cans and bottles. It's allowed the switch to no cokes to be much easier for me. I would still drink maybe one or two diet cokes a week but I am on week one of no soda at all. Good luck to you!!!
  • ZimmerFly
    ZimmerFly Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Tators19......What caffeine pill did you buy? It's the headaches that kill me when I try to stop.
  • lkniebuehler
    Options
    I gave up soda and all artificial sweeteners - and I was drinking 12 - 12oz cans of dt sodas a day - at least.

It was hard.. but I have been going strong since jan 1. What I found amazing was how all that artificial sweetener f'ed up my taste buds.. and how it made me crave sweets constantly.

For me, the caffeine withdrawal was bad, but it passes.. find substitutes. I like natural sparking water, same familiar fizz, nothing artificial.

Its not easy... you don't have to do it cold turkey - but make a plan and stick to it.

Good luck!
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I started drinking Zevia at first.. 0 cal soda imitation that's almost as good. Otherwise, carbonated water mixed with 100% fruit juice. I used to drink a Coke a day and now barely at all
  • Hitesc
    Hitesc Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    What i learn in university. Don't drink you calories... simple task. DIET coke.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    The biggest problem I had was with caffeine withdraw. After a day of nasty headaches and a week of being a grump I was able to begin making a change and get rid of pop and coffee! Once the daily habit was broken I could go back to enjoying a pop every once in a while but all the time intaking more water than anything else.

YES exactly this!!!

I also want to add about Diet sodas, they're worse for you!! They contain Asparatame which has been shown to have chemical side effects. I too suffered from intense headaches and tardive dyskinesia, which can have irreversible nerve damage, and other things. Sugars in moderation are not harmful to the system. Just saying...
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas would be a good option because theyre lower in calories, but have you researched how unhealthy they are? Any soda is, really, but diet sodas are terrible.
    If its the carbonation that you like, you could try Sparkling Ice. It kinda tastes like soda, but its just flavored sparkling water.

Would like to see some science based research you have found saying they are unhealthy. I'll be waiting.
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas would be a good option because theyre lower in calories, but have you researched how unhealthy they are? Any soda is, really, but diet sodas are terrible.
    If its the carbonation that you like, you could try Sparkling Ice. It kinda tastes like soda, but its just flavored sparkling water.

Would like to see some science based research you have found saying they are unhealthy. I'll be waiting.

As a diet coke addict I researched this as I was starting my diet. There are articles out there that show the negatives of drinking diet coke. Bad for your teeth, the artificial sweetners cause issues with metabolism and people tend to eat more thinking they are saving a lot of calories by drinking diet coke. Also, you are likely not getting enough water if you're drinking diet soda all day.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I am a recovering 25 year, 2-liter a day Diet Pepsi/Coke/Big K/anything cola addict. Here's how I did it last summer. I find it was easy to do in the hot summer months because you naturally drink more fluids and I didn't feel like I was punishing myself at any point. When you're thirsty, you're thirsty ; )

1. No cold turkey. You need your fix but every time you want a drink alternate between ice water and then your soda/diet soda. Get used to having something else that tastes clean and refreshing every other drink.

2. When you are starting to feel comfortable with the every-other-drink method, throw in something different. I used unsweetened sun tea because it was the heat of summer and I'd make a pitcher almost every day. By this point I was getting used to drinking something that wasn't sickeningly sweet and the iced tea actually tasted more refreshing.

3. Find alternatives so you can mix it up and enjoy new tastes. I really like the Vitamin Water Zero drinks with a hint of flavor (Lemonade, Strawberry-Guava, Glow are among my favorites). Even better, if you have a Costco their own brand of VitaRain Zero is less than half the price and very tasty.

4. When you go grocery shopping, if you normally would buy seven 2-liters for the week, only buy 3. Force yourself to make them last. You'll think it's impossible at first but once you start substituting other fluids, you'll be so proud of yourself.

5. Another idea if you're motivated by money: for every 2 liter or can of pop at work you DON'T buy, put a dollar in a jar. Wait until you see what you've been wasting on that stuff when you're fully detoxed. Take the money and invest in yourself: a FitBit, new clothes, a weekend getaway, etc.

I found it was much easier to lose weight once I stopped with the diet sodas. I agree with research that the artificial sweeteners increase your desire to eat. I was always craving something, night and day, when I drank diet pop.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

As a diet coke addict I researched this as I was starting my diet. There are articles out there that show the negatives of drinking diet coke. Bad for your teeth, the artificial sweetners cause issues with metabolism and people tend to eat more thinking they are saving a lot of calories by drinking diet coke. Also, you are likely not getting enough water if you're drinking diet soda all day.

Yea, I'm not talking about articles in Woman's Day or Cosmopolitan. I am talking about real articles with credible sources that are base on science and not assumptions.