exercise makes calorie allowance goes up, can I change this?

Options
Hi,

I don't want to be allowed to eat more after I have done exercise, I want to keep the calorie count lower so that I loose weight faster.. but it changes automatically. Do you know how I change this ??

Thanks

Hannah

Replies

• TechnoEve
    TechnoEve Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    hi!

you can simply go without calculating exercise....
  • nictheman
    nictheman Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Your allowance is just for "net calories". So that basically means that any calories burned through exercise can be added to your allowance (in order to guarantee the 0.5kg/week or whatever you've set as your weekly target).

If you really don't like this (I find it very handy and makes me a little less guilty in those binge days ;D) you could always set your "calories burned" from exercise at 1 or 0 every time you do the exercise.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    The more you exercise, the more you can eat!!!

Personally I don't think you should try and lose weight faster, it will just come back on quicker.

Slow & steady wins the race : )

No... I don't no how to amend it - Sorry!

How many lbs a week have you set MFP to, for you to lose?
  • TechnoEve
    TechnoEve Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    or, you don't add exercise....
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Faster isn't always better. The reason MFP adds your calories back is that your deficit is already figured in. Making it larger might be unwise.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    The calorie allotment that you are set up with already includes a deficit, so when you exercise you are creating a greater deficit. You are meant to eat those calories back.

I know it sounds counterintuituve, BUT creating a greater deficit isn't always the best way, because it's not sustainable over a period of time.

Keeping your calories too low for too long in order to lose weight faster generally leads to overeating because you will be HUNGRY.

You want to focus on creating a lifestyle that will enable you to keep the weight off forever, rahter than focusing on how quickly you can lose the weight.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid its not that simple
  • raynkidz0406
    raynkidz0406 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You won't lose weight if you're not eating enough. Your body will do into "starvation" mode and hold everything. You can still eat more (because you exercised), just make sure you eat the right foods. Eat the foods that will nourish and repair your body instead of foods that will body will just store.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I just set my exercise burns to 1. There isn't a way to do it other than manually though. So when you enter say swimming 30mins and the numbers come up in the box just change them to 1.

However, I will say that MFP does take into account a daily deficient of 5OO cals already. So if you burn say 1,OOO exercise cals a day you are encouraged to eat at least 50-75% of these back.

I can't stick to just eating a percentage though so I use the 1 logging system. Although my daily calorie intake is set higher than MFP recommended for me to compensate for this

Bottom line just be careful you don't end up running on empty! It'll do you no favours in the long run. If you only burn a cpl of 100 cals through exercise daily then it should be okay.
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Options
    Just ignore it, or don't log your exercise. No one's going to reach out of your computer and force feed those calories back into you haha. However, a deficit IS already factored in your calorie log, and if you want to maintain whole body muscle, organ, brain, hair, heart, etc health... you'll want to eat them back. Take things slow and give your body adequate nutrition. It's easy to start out with a big deficit, but trying to maintain that will wreak havoc on your system and send your body into starvation- like, the real "halting body processes" kind, not the "skipping breakfast" kind you read about around here...
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    You won't lose weight if you're not eating enough. Your body will do into "starvation" mode and hold everything. You can still eat more (because you exercised), just make sure you eat the right foods. Eat the foods that will nourish and repair your body instead of foods that will body will just store.

no, sorry to tell you but that's incorrect. Your body will not "hold everything" and "starvation mode" as it is used in this example is a myth. Otherwise how would VLCDs work? You can't deny that they do actually work, people do lose weight on them (sustainability is another animal of course). It's not healthy by any means, but don't toss around "starvation mode."
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Just ignore it, but make sure you're eating above your BMR and under your TDEE.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Faster isn't always better. The reason MFP adds your calories back is that your deficit is already figured in. Making it larger might be unwise.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

this!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

^^^^ this

too big a deficit may seem like a shortcut, but it's counterproductive in the long term. You need to fuel your body properly, for the good of your health and because it's what's easier to stick to in the long term.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I don't want to be allowed to eat more after I have done exercise, I want to keep the calorie count lower so that I loose weight faster.. but it changes automatically. Do you know how I change this ??

Thanks

Hannah

That would be basically mean that you're undereating
  • Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Just dont log the exercise.
  • krokus99
    krokus99 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I do not consider this a good idea. The less you eat below the calorie allowance, the harder weight will decrease.
    Our body does not function as we want to, but as it is programed. And on starvation times its default setting is to keep weight.
    So: EAT! :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Also for those suggesting 1 calorie burns-- I do that. However, my calorie goal is set higher to account for my exercise. OP is wanting to keep her goal low AND not have exercise calories, and that's not something that should be recommended, imo.
  • butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Also for those suggesting 1 calorie burns-- I do that. However, my calorie goal is set higher to account for my exercise. OP is wanting to keep her goal low AND not have exercise calories, and that's not something that should be recommended, imo.

^^^^ THIS .....

"My Car needs needs $5 of fuel to travel 50km ....... however I want it to do 200km on $5 of fuel" ***NOPE*** ... gotta put more fuel in to that "car"