exercise makes calorie allowance goes up, can I change this?

Options
2»

Replies

• geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    It rather depends on the deficit and exercise the OP has set.
    .5lb/week deficit and doing 300 calories of exercise according to MFP? Still a lower deficit than many have on here.

2lb/week loss and doing 1250 calories of exercise, while eating low calories? Probably a bad idea.
  • FingerLakesGal
    Options
    Do eat your calories. I think it also depends on intensity and type of exercise you're doing..ie walking vs run. If you exercise and not replace at least some of the calories, esp protein, you risk loosing muscle and that you don't want to do..plus you could put your body in starvation mode in which your body adapts and conserves the best it can, meaning you won't loose any weight.
    I recently switched to a high protein, low carb diet..basically only carbs come from veggies. No breads/pasta and I do vigorous exercise 4-5 times a week and eat my calories cause I'm hungry. Feeling great, more energy, losing weight.

Questions to ask: type and duration of exercise: fat vs muscle burn: what is the calorie deficit/day.
    Evaluate weekly your exercise, food, energy level.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    log your excersize as one calorie

this is what I do.. but you do need to eat them back every once in a while. it helps me so much to trick up my metabolism.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Faster isn't always better. The reason MFP adds your calories back is that your deficit is already figured in. Making it larger might be unwise.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

This. If you are new, it's a must read.

If you are not new and maybe just switched to the TDEE method, then don't log your exercise, or log it as one calorie. I quit logging exercise shortly after I switched to TDEE.
  • TechnoEve
    TechnoEve Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i recently switched to my TDEE and don't add my exercises
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    log your excersize as one calorie

this is what I do.. but you do need to eat them back every once in a while. it helps me so much to trick up my metabolism.

Lol. You don't trick anything. Silly post is silly.

You beat me to it....

now you will get called mean instead of me...:drinker:
  • zenhiker2014
    zenhiker2014 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    OP, you got your answer (don't log exercise, or log it and set the calories burned to 0 or 1) but I really hope you will consider the good advice you've gotten about rethinking your approach. When I joined MFP I read lots of threads discussing this, and read the stickied posts, then went out and did some of my own research on the web and in several books. I am convinced that for the great majority of us (there are always some exceptions) arbitrarily eating a fixed, low number of calories to lose weight fast is not a good plan. You want to be healthy, and getting to your goal weight is part of being healthy. But you also want a body that is fit and strong and can do all the things you like to do in life. And you want to stay at that healthy, appropriate weight and fitness level for good. All those goals are better met with a modest calorie deficit, development of good eating and exercise habits, and patience.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    QFT
    Faster isn't always better. The reason MFP adds your calories back is that your deficit is already figured in. Making it larger might be unwise.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

^^^^ this

too big a deficit may seem like a shortcut, but it's counterproductive in the long term. You need to fuel your body properly, for the good of your health and because it's what's easier to stick to in the long term.
    Also for those suggesting 1 calorie burns-- I do that. However, my calorie goal is set higher to account for my exercise. OP is wanting to keep her goal low AND not have exercise calories, and that's not something that should be recommended, imo.
  • lujako
    lujako Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    "My Car needs needs $5 of fuel to travel 50km ....... however I want it to do 200km on $5 of fuel" ***NOPE*** ... gotta put more fuel in to that "car"
    [/quote]

Well said! Thank you for the analogy.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    "My Car needs needs $5 of fuel to travel 50km ....... however I want it to do 200km on $5 of fuel" ***NOPE*** ... gotta put more fuel in to that "car"

you forgot about the $5,000 of fuel that's been stored up in the car over the last 5 years.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

you forgot about the $5,000 of fuel that's been stored up in the car over the last 5 years.

OP doesn't have $5,000 of stored up fuel.