Carbs

Options
13»

Replies

• Onedayslimmfp
    Onedayslimmfp Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Why restrict carbs? Carbs just so happen to be the main calorie source found in human food.

People who restrict those foods have higher risk of all cause mortality. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1240623-fruit-n-veg-more-reduced-risk-or-all-cause-mortality

Carbs are delicious!!!
    natureskittles.jpg

Ok does anyone else just want to eat this whole thing?

Just pass me the bucket of natural greek yogurt and I'm set!!! (So's the yogurt...)

Just thinking the same thing, delicious!
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    From my experience there is no reason to freak out about total carb intake. Just be careful not to spike your system with too many carbs faster than you can burn them off. Having a decent amount of carbs after a workout is actually a pretty decent idea. Because your system will burn them almost immidiateley. However if your going to eat donuts and then sit around afterwards expect it to go straight to your waistline. Same for anything really. I'm not advocating some robot diet. But understand the worst mistakes you can make and avoid them and you wont go far wrong. My advice ..

Try to schedule your treats after or one hour before exercise. A long walk totally counts.

Do not eat carbs or anything else if you can avoid it 1 - 2 hours before your sleep.

Try not to eat carbs on their own. They burn too fast and you will soon be hungry again. This is why people often get hungry again soon after eating Asian food which is usually served with lots of noodles or rice and high carb sauces and batters.

Try to keep carb amounts in a single sitting under 50g, 30g if you can. This will help but is not the end of the world.

If you are constantly tired trying to exercise .. eat something with carbs in it .. and protein. Milk is great.

All that said I don't even obey those rules ALL the time. In the end an overall calorie deficit will result in weight loss. But following these rules can help it happen faster.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    My general strategy is to focus on reaching my protein goal (1g/kg body weight), next I try to hit my fat macro and fiber. This means I must make careful choices about what I choose to eat. It is extremely difficult with only 1200 calories to play around with. Are you sure you need to be that low to lose weight?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem.... Breakfast today after an 80 minute fast walk was 2 poached eggs on two very small slices of wholemeal bread and 2 large vine tomatoes having had 1 small banana before my walk to give me energy so far today my carb intake is 59%..... 9% over my daily target :(

HELP!

What are your stats? Are you eating your exercise calories back?
  • GingerPeachLass
    GingerPeachLass Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am insulin resistant and can not eat a lot of carbs per day, I use diabetic exchanges most of the time. Also, check the Atkins website, they have a food list on phase 1 that gives all vegetables that are low in carbs. Phase 2 and 3 slowly add carbs back into the diet until you find the amount your body can handle without gaining. You do need some carbs in your diet though. Also, I eat around 1800 calories on average active days and around 2300 calories on the days I am sparring or in the ring boxing.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If it were me: I'd aim to eat a bit more, you want to be able to do this for a while, and would try for 40% carbs (unless you're diabetic, insulin resistant, in menopause, or have PCOS, or some other medical condition whereby you're attempting to limit the amount or type of carbs).

start here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • dejamom
    dejamom Posts: 1
    Options
    I have the same problems I think its the calories limit at 1200 I seem to do better at 1300-1400 with excercise....I just started this week at 173 and am down to 169 so far will keep at it plan on eating bacon eggs and pork skins
  • Neenmfp
    Neenmfp Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I weigh 14 stone at the moment I'm exercising once a day (a fast long walk), loosing about 532 calories in the 80 minutes it takes. Yes I'm eating the calories back - shouldn't I be....?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem.... Breakfast today after an 80 minute fast walk was 2 poached eggs on two very small slices of wholemeal bread and 2 large vine tomatoes having had 1 small banana before my walk to give me energy so far today my carb intake is 59%..... 9% over my daily target :(

HELP!

So eat more fat and protein at your other meals. The percentages can balance out over the course of a day (or even week), even if your per-meal percentages are off. A lot of people eat meals that are a different macro balance throughout the day, such as more carbs or protein in the meal immediately prior to or following a workout, and higher-fat meals the rest of the day for steady energy.

That said, I am in the camp with some of the others that have said to limit or eliminate breads and such if you're looking to limit carbs. They're quite a bit of carbs for not a lot of other nutrients (that you can't get more readily from other sources). Try turning those poached eggs into an omelet and cut the tomato into it, maybe add a little cheese and other veggies (such as peppers, spinach, mushrooms, etc), and only have one piece of toast with some high-quality butter on it. Also, keep mind that tomatoes are kind of sugary as far as vegetables go, so perhaps trade one in for a different vegetable, even if you don't go the omelet route.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Yeah, lazy American here too early for math

Carbs = not bad

1200 calories = not enough

1 stone = 14lb so that is about 50lbs
    1cm = appx 2.5 inches so 174cm is about 5 ft 8 or 9

1.6lbs a week is to fast try for 1lb a week...

1200 calories is not enough and it's not about the types of food you eat it's about the quantity.

Eat at a reasonable deficet...

ETA: Canadian and it's mid morning so my brain is functioning.

You sure about that? :laugh:

1 inch = 2.54 cm, so pretty close 174/2.54 = 68.5 inches, so 5'8.5"

Not sure how I missed this for so long. But she got the units backwards. Hence, I was asking if she was sure her brain was functioning properly.
  • bethcondon
    bethcondon Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Once you become more aware of how many carbs things have (and how many CALORIES!), you can start replacing high carb items with smarter choices. Try "light" bread (pepperidge farm light wheat bread is 45 cal/slice), and low-carb tortillas to make wraps (half the calories of regular tortillas). Try having one slice of toast with more eggs, rather than 2 slices of toast. I agree with the person who said put less grain/pasta on your plate and more meat/veggies. I try to limit myself to 1/2 cup of pasta or rice with mostly chunky homemade sauce or stir fry with lots of protein & veggies.

The brand of yogurt you eat matters, too. Fage Greek yogurt has twice the protein of other brands. Add your own fruit & a little honey and it will have a lot less carbs than sweetened yogurt.