If 'eating clean' is so easy for you, how did you get fat?

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I make pizza at home using organic and home grown ingredients which is not all that difficult. There is nothing to say that pizza is bad or can't be clean! Honestly, folks love to come up with excuses for not eating clean but that's up to them.

You are correct that pizza is not bad. But, pizza can't be clean because the crust is made from flour, which is processed. You may make something resembling pizza and call it pizza, but it's not really pizza if there is no crust.

If Pizza is dirty than I don't want to ever eat "clean"...

Holy moly...

Lots of things are processed...apple sauce is processed and when I make it there is no added sugar is it unclean???? cheese is processed is it unclean?

if processed defines what is "clean" then wth do clean eaters eat? raw veggies/fruits and meat? exlcuding hamburger cause it's processed...

I didn't say pizza was dirty. I said it wasn't "clean". Generally speaking, clean means natural. Natural means the world outside of man. So, the more processed a food or food ingredients, the less clean the food or ingredient. There are extremists who only consider raw foods clean, but generally speaking cooking doesn't count, it's more about the ingredients. And there is always room for argument. Is applesauce clean? Some would say yes, some would say no, some would say only if you make it yourself with only clean ingredients.

I am not familiar with the term "dirty" food. I have no idea what that would mean, if not how much soil is on the food.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    its called learning to moderate yourself and having a modicum of self control. Back in my fat days I could eat a few pints of ice cream or a whole cake by myself..however, I learned, over time, that I can eat one serving of ice cream, one cookie, etc and fit it into my day. I have ice cream every night..

my diary is open...

Last I checked, saying "no" to something (yes, even saying "no, I don't want to eat this at all") is also exercising self control and moderating oneself. "Self control" does not only mean "eat one and stop."

Saying "I'm not going to eat this today, because it leads me down a bad path that I'm not yet equipped to handle," nets the same result (for at least some people) as "I'm not going to eat this today, because it doesn't fit my macros" -- not eating the food in question, as an exercise of self control.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I make pizza at home using organic and home grown ingredients which is not all that difficult. There is nothing to say that pizza is bad or can't be clean! Honestly, folks love to come up with excuses for not eating clean but that's up to them.

You are correct that pizza is not bad. But, pizza can't be clean because the crust is made from flour, which is processed. You may make something resembling pizza and call it pizza, but it's not really pizza if there is no crust.

You do know that the crust can be made using organic spelt flour, an ancient wheat. You don't have to use processed white flour. Organic unbleached and unadultered flour is widely available. There are no preservatives or any other ingredients other than ground wheat in this type of flour, making it clean. If you really want to control the process, you can buy the whole grain and grind it yourself. Grain mills are a fairly popular piece of kitchen equipment for many including myself. They are available in manual or electric versions, stand alone units or stand mixer attachments. Using a grain mill allows you to enjoy a wide variety of baked goods that are free of preservatives, extenders, and artificial flavours or colours.

And herein lies the controversy over what is "clean". Flour is a processed food any way you look at it.
  • Mich4871
    Mich4871 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I hit 40 and my mindset changed. It only took 40 years for me to finally make a commitment to a healthier lifestyle. That said, while I do have/had a unhealthy relationship with food, my weight totally ballooned while going through fertility treatments for 2+ years trying to get pregnant. I know the load of hormones I was on for such a long period of time did play a part in me getting to the heaviest I'd ever been, but I also take a huge load of responsibility for it myself.

I'm also committed to setting an example for my children in terms of having a healthy lifestyle (I do NOT restrict the type of food they eat ever!)
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

You do know that the crust can be made using organic spelt flour, an ancient wheat. You don't have to use processed white flour. Organic unbleached and unadultered flour is widely available. There are no preservatives or any other ingredients other than ground wheat in this type of flour, making it clean. If you really want to control the process, you can buy the whole grain and grind it yourself. Grain mills are a fairly popular piece of kitchen equipment for many including myself. They are available in manual or electric versions, stand alone units or stand mixer attachments. Using a grain mill allows you to enjoy a wide variety of baked goods that are free of preservatives, extenders, and artificial flavours or colours.

And herein lies the controversy over what is "clean". Flour is a processed food any way you look at it.

Throwing a handful of whole wheat grains into a grain mill and grinding to flour is processed. You're correct. However, the resulting flour contains ground wheat only and nothing more. By your definition of clean. a salad would be processed as soon as you do anything to the ingredients that alter them from their original form. So no cutting, ripping, tearing. Just eat that head of lettuce as it is. If that is yours or anyone's definition of eating clean, that absolutely no processing can be used which would of course include cooking and acquisition, then no wonder they are finding it so difficult to eat clean.
  • bcattoes
    Options

If Pizza is dirty than I don't want to ever eat "clean"...

Holy moly...

Lots of things are processed...apple sauce is processed and when I make it there is no added sugar is it unclean???? cheese is processed is it unclean?

if processed defines what is "clean" then wth do clean eaters eat? raw veggies/fruits and meat? exlcuding hamburger cause it's processed...

The problem is there is no clear definition for clean eating. We eat home processed foods that were processed from organic fruits, vegetables, meats, poultry, legumes and etc. I can guarantee you that our home processed foods do not have sodium benzoate or BPA in them, nor do they have pesticide residue. Our beef is bought directly from the farmer who takes it to the abattoir where it is cut and wrapped to our specifications. There is processing as I mentioned then there is what mainstream refers to as processed foods like frozen dinners, dry cereals, convenience foods, mass produced baked goods, mass produced snacks and that type of thing. These types of processed food contain a wide range of preservatives, artificial sweeteners, HFCS, MSG, artificial colours, artificial flavours, high levels of sugar and sodium, and the list goes on. Some of these food additives have been linked to health problems (allergies, asthma, gastrointestinal) and cancer or there has been a noted correlation between some of these ingredients and health and/or behavioural problems. The bottom line is no one knows 100% whether or not some of these ingredients are going to cause harm in the future even though they currently appear to be safe. A segment of society is saying, hey wait a minute, we don't want to be a guinea pig. We are choosing to not ingest these ingredients. Those who are choosing to not ingest these ingredients are what this forum refers to as the clean eaters.

So, if I bought a box of organic cereal free of man-made additives, would that be clean?
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I already ate pretty 'clean' so I guess I'm proof that it's not processed food that makes you fat :b

I lost my first 22lbs by cutting back on my drinking... Hadn't even considered how much of my calories I had been spending on that until I suddenly found that non of my clothes fit anymore.. So I suppose me diet wasn't that calorie dense, since it didn't make me keep on the weight. Then I maintained that weight for a while.

The realization that it could be that easy to lose (since I was happy cutting back on drinking, so it wasn't even hard to do) is what gave me motivation to keep going. And I'm still finding it fairly "easy". I expect it will become more difficult, but now I've signed up for a gym, so I hope the extra exercize can balance out what ever troubles I run into with my diet.

When I reach my goal, I'll be happy to go back to the maintance like I did before it all/when I was maintaning after cutting back the drink. Though I do plan to keep lifting weights, so I suppose I will actually end up eating more than I did when I was fat. Interesting.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Throwing a handful of whole wheat grains into a grain mill and grinding to flour is processed. You're correct. However, the resulting flour contains ground wheat only and nothing more. By your definition of clean. a salad would be processed as soon as you do anything to the ingredients that alter them from their original form. So no cutting, ripping, tearing. Just eat that head of lettuce as it is. If that is yours or anyone's definition of eating clean, that absolutely no processing can be used which would of course include cooking and acquisition, then no wonder they are finding it so difficult to eat clean.

No, I'm not sure what definition you are projecting on me, but your salad would not fit my definition of processed at all.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Oh, hey is this a thread where everyone has differing opinions and is really smug about what they believe?

Must be Wednesday.

I know that the OP was talking about - People who act like it's SO EASY to "be on a diet" "eat at a deficit" "not eat junk" "change my lifestyle" "weight loss 'JOURNEY' (ugh)"
    whatever you'd like to call the process of what we're all doing. The question is: How can it be so easy for you right now, all of a sudden, when you obviously totally sucked at making good choices before, because you were "fat" "overweight" "Mr. Chunkmonster"? This was the sentiment of the first post. The answer is: losing weight, and feeling like you've "got it all figured out" makes people smug.

It's become easier for me with time, I can't lie about that, but I would never in a million years smugly act like this process is easy. Anyone in the thread who commented that they're doing Paleo and it's SO EASY, come back in 2 months and tell me you're still doing well. The truth is that "eating clean" is not necessary to lose weight. It can also be pretty difficult to continue eating everything you used to eat, only limiting those portions to fit your day.

This post doesn't have a good conclusion because I am distracted at work. Losing weight is hard?? You know what's hard? Browsing MFP when you're not supposed to be, THAT'S HARD. :smokin:
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    its called learning to moderate yourself and having a modicum of self control. Back in my fat days I could eat a few pints of ice cream or a whole cake by myself..however, I learned, over time, that I can eat one serving of ice cream, one cookie, etc and fit it into my day. I have ice cream every night..

my diary is open...

So what I'm wondering is if you are *done and satisfied* after one cookie? I also stop myself after one cookie (most times) so I'm not totally without self control. I do however spend another hour or more finding as many things to do as possible so that I do not eat 6 more cookies because it is all that is on my mind. It is best for me to buy certain things in single serving sizes so it isn't in my house but that isn't possible for me and won't be for some time. I would love to get to the point where making and following through on the choice didn't consume so much mental space. I'm the same way with spaghetti and a whole bunch of foods. I eat it. I eat normal portions and fill up at the end of the meal but the mental energy spent on not eating another serving (and probably a third) is more than I'd like to admit. It also takes a lot of mental chitchat to banish the feelings of deprivation that results because I'm not deprived. My head knows that.

Is that something that just goes away with time? Something you just don't experience? Is there something you and others do to change that mental process and if so what? That is the big mystery

Whether the "everything in moderation" people want to admit it or not, abstinence from a trigger, at least for a time, is crucial for most people who experience signs of addiction to something. Even Moderation Management (the alternative to AA that supports the idea that at least some people who had drinking problems can learn to drink in moderation) recognizes this, and recognizes it as crucial enough that an abstinence period of no less than 30 days is part of the program.

I have the same problem that you do, particularly if the trigger food is freely available (the package of Oreos or container of ice cream that we've already bought, the array of desserts that people have brought to a party, or the donuts that a coworker brings in to share). It's far easier for me to just say something like "no, thanks," "those aren't mine to eat," or "the amount of sugar in that will make me sick." Regardless of whether the amount of sugar in one item will actually do so, or whether I really am or am not "allowed" to eat the items offered, it helps me to shut that door entirely.

This is because, for me, I know that one item won't make me sick (for most things, anyway), but I won't be able to stop at one. If I eat one, the thought of it will take over my thoughts until I cave and get more. In most cases, that cycle will repeat until there is none left and/or I've actually made myself sick, and sometimes, making myself sick still won't stop me, because the desire to have more outweighs the initial feelings of being sick at that point. I know this, I've tried the "just eat one" route many times, and failed nearly every time, so in that sense, "I'll just have one" will make me sick in one way (failure to have "just one"), and keeps me sick in another (continues to feed the dopamine reaction that food creates in my system).

When I tell myself that even having one will make me sick, or that they aren't mine to eat, or whatever other self talk I use for a given item, it stops the desire dead in its tracks. There is no middle ground between "allowed" and "not allowed" with that self talk. It's not for me, so there's not point in dwelling on it. It removes the power that item has over me.

It is addiction, plain and simple. The item triggers a dopamine response in your system, causing you to feel compelled to consume it more, and the more you consume it, the less satisfying it becomes, and when you're not consuming it, thoughts of it take over your mind. That is the very definition of addiction.

You can, however, break it. You may or may not be able to consume the item in the definition of "moderation" that people like to throw around here (ie - a single serving once or several times a week), but you can break the cycle of craving and eating. It's simple, but may or may not be easy -- stop eating it, at all, for at least 30 days. Don't substitute things for it (ie - if you're cutting out brownies, don't replace it with cookies), but make sure you're eating wholesome, satiating foods. I've personally found it easiest to cut out all refined sugar (and artificial sweeteners), because that eliminates the ability to substitute things. It cuts out the loopholes that your brain my try to find to fulfill the addiction craving.

Also, find out what can outweigh the compulsion. For example, I grew up poor, so spending money just to spend money comes very difficult to me. It easily outweighs most desires I have. I'm able to harness that when I do get a treat, because I buy a single serving's worth, and that's it. I don't have a strong enough justification to spend the money on more, so the "don't spend money unnecessarily" part of my brain overrides the desire for more. If I don't have much money to spend, I can easily tell myself that I can't justify spending the money at all, and pass it up before I've bought it. If I end up buying something, the "don't waste food" part kicks in, and I'm less able to not eat it, especially if it's something that won't keep for long.

Just like with any other addiction, you may or may not be able to eat it without fighting the compulsion it creates. So only time will tell if the cravings ever totally go away for you. Abstinence isn't necessarily a bad thing, particularly if it's easier to do so than to try to satisfy the craving without getting derailed. Generally speaking, the longer you abstain, the more the brain breaks down those connections to the reward centers of your brain for that trigger. In psychology, this is called "extinction." You stop reinforcing the behavior entirely, and eventually the behavior stops. After a time, you may be able to consume small amounts of the trigger and not be triggered, or have a manageable reaction, though how long that time frame is depends on how strong of a reaction you have, how easily it triggers you, how strong the addicted connections were, and how much those connections have broken down.
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options

my diary is open...

So what I'm wondering is if you are *done and satisfied* after one cookie? I also stop myself after one cookie (most times) so I'm not totally without self control. I do however spend another hour or more finding as many things to do as possible so that I do not eat 6 more cookies because it is all that is on my mind. It is best for me to buy certain things in single serving sizes so it isn't in my house but that isn't possible for me and won't be for some time. I would love to get to the point where making and following through on the choice didn't consume so much mental space. I'm the same way with spaghetti and a whole bunch of foods. I eat it. I eat normal portions and fill up at the end of the meal but the mental energy spent on not eating another serving (and probably a third) is more than I'd like to admit. It also takes a lot of mental chitchat to banish the feelings of deprivation that results because I'm not deprived. My head knows that.

Is that something that just goes away with time? Something you just don't experience? Is there something you and others do to change that mental process and if so what? That is the big mystery

Whether the "everything in moderation" people want to admit it or not, abstinence from a trigger, at least for a time, is crucial for most people who experience signs of addiction to something. Even Moderation Management (the alternative to AA that supports the idea that at least some people who had drinking problems can learn to drink in moderation) recognizes this, and recognizes it as crucial enough that an abstinence period of no less than 30 days is part of the program.

I have the same problem that you do, particularly if the trigger food is freely available (the package of Oreos or container of ice cream that we've already bought, the array of desserts that people have brought to a party, or the donuts that a coworker brings in to share). It's far easier for me to just say something like "no, thanks," "those aren't mine to eat," or "the amount of sugar in that will make me sick." Regardless of whether the amount of sugar in one item will actually do so, or whether I really am or am not "allowed" to eat the items offered, it helps me to shut that door entirely.

This is because, for me, I know that one item won't make me sick (for most things, anyway), but I won't be able to stop at one. If I eat one, the thought of it will take over my thoughts until I cave and get more. In most cases, that cycle will repeat until there is none left and/or I've actually made myself sick, and sometimes, making myself sick still won't stop me, because the desire to have more outweighs the initial feelings of being sick at that point. I know this, I've tried the "just eat one" route many times, and failed nearly every time, so in that sense, "I'll just have one" will make me sick in one way (failure to have "just one"), and keeps me sick in another (continues to feed the dopamine reaction that food creates in my system).

When I tell myself that even having one will make me sick, or that they aren't mine to eat, or whatever other self talk I use for a given item, it stops the desire dead in its tracks. There is no middle ground between "allowed" and "not allowed" with that self talk. It's not for me, so there's not point in dwelling on it. It removes the power that item has over me.

It is addiction, plain and simple. The item triggers a dopamine response in your system, causing you to feel compelled to consume it more, and the more you consume it, the less satisfying it becomes, and when you're not consuming it, thoughts of it take over your mind. That is the very definition of addiction.

You can, however, break it. You may or may not be able to consume the item in the definition of "moderation" that people like to throw around here (ie - a single serving once or several times a week), but you can break the cycle of craving and eating. It's simple, but may or may not be easy -- stop eating it, at all, for at least 30 days. Don't substitute things for it (ie - if you're cutting out brownies, don't replace it with cookies), but make sure you're eating wholesome, satiating foods. I've personally found it easiest to cut out all refined sugar (and artificial sweeteners), because that eliminates the ability to substitute things. It cuts out the loopholes that your brain my try to find to fulfill the addiction craving.

Also, find out what can outweigh the compulsion. For example, I grew up poor, so spending money just to spend money comes very difficult to me. It easily outweighs most desires I have. I'm able to harness that when I do get a treat, because I buy a single serving's worth, and that's it. I don't have a strong enough justification to spend the money on more, so the "don't spend money unnecessarily" part of my brain overrides the desire for more. If I don't have much money to spend, I can easily tell myself that I can't justify spending the money at all, and pass it up before I've bought it. If I end up buying something, the "don't waste food" part kicks in, and I'm less able to not eat it, especially if it's something that won't keep for long.

Just like with any other addiction, you may or may not be able to eat it without fighting the compulsion it creates. So only time will tell if the cravings ever totally go away for you. Abstinence isn't necessarily a bad thing, particularly if it's easier to do so than to try to satisfy the craving without getting derailed. Generally speaking, the longer you abstain, the more the brain breaks down those connections to the reward centers of your brain for that trigger. In psychology, this is called "extinction." You stop reinforcing the behavior entirely, and eventually the behavior stops. After a time, you may be able to consume small amounts of the trigger and not be triggered, or have a manageable reaction, though how long that time frame is depends on how strong of a reaction you have, how easily it triggers you, how strong the addicted connections were, and how much those connections have broken down.

EXACTLY!
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Oh, hey is this a thread where everyone has differing opinions and is really smug about what they believe?

Must be Wednesday.

I know that the OP was talking about - People who act like it's SO EASY to "be on a diet" "eat at a deficit" "not eat junk" "change my lifestyle" "weight loss 'JOURNEY' (ugh)"
    whatever you'd like to call the process of what we're all doing. The question is: How can it be so easy for you right now, all of a sudden, when you obviously totally sucked at making good choices before, because you were "fat" "overweight" "Mr. Chunkmonster"? This was the sentiment of the first post. The answer is: losing weight, and feeling like you've "got it all figured out" makes people smug.

Hmm, I didn't really notice much smugness.

But, not everyone changed their diet to lose weight. I didn't eat any different when I was losing. No different foods, not even any less. I simply started exercising again.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Any kind of flour is "processed."
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

Must be Wednesday.

But, not everyone changed their diet to lose weight. I didn't eat any different when I was losing. No different foods, not even any less. I simply started exercising again.

Then you are not who the OP was even talking about. For most people, just adding exercise is not enough to lose weight.\

ETA: I was clearing 3500 calories a day when I wasn't logging food. I still eat what I was eating before, just a lot less.
  • CharleeCali
    CharleeCali Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    This thread is so depressing. Here I thought I was eating clean if I had my pizza after a shower. :frown:
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    For those interested http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/ has a lot of information and some great looking recipes if you are eating clean, considering eating clean or simply wanting to try new recipes.
  • Tinker_Aria
    Options
    I realized that I ate too much carbs. Too much pasta and rice. Each one of my meal. But now, I've realized that I don't need so much carbs in my plate to feel full.

I try to have pasta or rice (complete) on my lunch onmy 3 or 4 times per week.
    I was alos eating a lot of sweet things from my kids' afternoon snacks. I was also snacking late at night. As I didn't ate well, I had a bad sleep so I woke up, took a drink of milk and ate a lot of biscuit, It was awful.

Since one month, I feel really better with my own body and soul. I hope I'll keep this great habits for a long time, still have lot of work to do.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Must be Wednesday.

Then you are not who the OP was even talking about. For most people, just adding exercise is not enough to lose weight.

I beg to differ. I sound more like who the OP was talking about than many. The question from the OP was:

"I keep seeing so many threads about people who eat 'clean', avoid processed sugar, follow their hunger signs etc, and it seems so easy for them.

My question to those people is... if your relationship with food is so healthy... how did you get overweight in the first place?"

My answer was "wine" because without those calories I would not have gained weight, but the truth is that I drank wine before I became overweight. While I do not start clean eating threads, I do eat fairly clean (probably about 80/20). I got fat because I stopped exercising and kept eating as though I were.

I have a heatlhy relationship with food. Wine and exercise require more effort for me.
  • WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I've always eaten well - I like cooking, eat fairly balanced meals and have always used full fat dairy, real mayo, etc and refuse to touch "diet" food. When I decided I needed to cut back (I had gotten up to 150 which was the highest I'd ever been) I really didn't change my food. What I did change was to stop drinking 1000 calories in beer every night, which is why I started to put on weight. I still drank while losing, just much less, and still drink while maintaining, I'm just not taking down five craft beers every night.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Great post, I totally agree. I ate way too many hot pockets yesterday. I was under my goal, but I felt like having junk.

On the same note, I also don't understand the "I struggle so hard to reach 1200 calories!" people.

Really? because I exercise a ridiculous amount of restraint every day to stay under 1600... That's why I was overweight before.

Right on sister...I hear you! I could eat 1200 calories in 5 mins if I wanted to! haha