Diet pop

Options
So who drinks it, and how much?? Tia

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    So who drinks it, and how much?? Tia

I drink it. One or two per day. Nothing wrong with diet soda IMO.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I quit diet soda 6 months ago because I won't be able to have it after surgery next month.
    I used to drink 3-4 cans of diet coke or pepsi a day.
    I felt a lot better and got more sleep once I stopped, but that was probably due to the new lack of constant caffeine.
    I've had a migraine problem since I was 13, and while I was only having one 1-3 times a month at the time (manageable) they went away entirely when the soda did.
    Last month I had maybe half of my boyfriend's diet pepsi in the car because I hadn't though to bring water, and 4 hours later I had a migraine (with an aura). They next day, I had another (ANOTHER aura) that lasted all day. I don't know what it was about the soda (I don't think it's just the caffeine, caffeine is actually supposed to help migraines and I still have coffee) but it made me feel like crap. Bloated and whatnot. Probably since I had dropped my tolerance of it.
    But that's very specific to me, and while I was drinking it every day the difference in how I felt was minimal. Now, though, I can probably never go back to it for all the reasons above.

That's my little story >> Sorry it got long.
    I like Sobe and Vitamin water so far as flavored drinks go. And crystal light for mixers c:
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I drink maybe one Coke Zero a day.
  • paigebeverly
    paigebeverly Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I drink one a day...other than that it's the red diamond yellow label sugar free tea or water.
  • kellybailey18400
    kellybailey18400 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I gave it up, after being a regular, then diet pop drinker my entire life... I also went to black coffee from what most people would probably consider "sugar coffee" lol...extra sugar and cream please!! I take a sip of my boyfriends soda from time to time just to see if I still love it...and my taste buds have completely changed, it tastes so gross now! If you can give it up, I would!
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I have a few every week, mostly for mixing, Captain and diet root beer is epic in my book.

Rigger
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    I do, and I drink too much of it; Roughly five cans a day.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    I drink regular soda, not that diet crap!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'll drink it now and again but not as much as I did before. Way I see it isn't doing you any harm but its not really doing you any good either. Better off substituting water if you can manage it. If you need that bit of pop to keep your sanity during a diet/exercise regimen though I wouldn't sweat it.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I do on occasion. I had a diet Red Bull the other day. Haven't had a diet soda since I last went out to eat, and that was in December. I'm not a big fan of them, TBH.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I quit diet soda 6 months ago because I won't be able to have it after surgery next month.
    I used to drink 3-4 cans of diet coke or pepsi a day.
    I felt a lot better and got more sleep once I stopped, but that was probably due to the new lack of constant caffeine.
    I've had a migraine problem since I was 13, and while I was only having one 1-3 times a month at the time (manageable) they went away entirely when the soda did.
    Last month I had maybe half of my boyfriend's diet pepsi in the car because I hadn't though to bring water, and 4 hours later I had a migraine (with an aura). They next day, I had another (ANOTHER aura) that lasted all day. I don't know what it was about the soda (I don't think it's just the caffeine, caffeine is actually supposed to help migraines and I still have coffee) but it made me feel like crap. Bloated and whatnot. Probably since I had dropped my tolerance of it.
    But that's very specific to me, and while I was drinking it every day the difference in how I felt was minimal. Now, though, I can probably never go back to it for all the reasons above.

That's my little story >> Sorry it got long.
    I like Sobe and Vitamin water so far as flavored drinks go. And crystal light for mixers c:

Caffeine is one of the most common migraine triggers (it makes them go away temporarily, but then causes rebound headaches. Viscous cycle!) but seeing as you drink coffee, it's probably the aspartame (also a common trigger in people with migraines) in diet soda that triggers migraines. I get them, but when I cut out both caffeine and aspartame, I still got them, so I might as well continue on with my Coke Zeros.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    If you want to consider getting off the pop as part of your diet here is what I would suggest that I think is a healthy way to approach it.

Make sure you drink 8 cups of water every day. Do NOT count diet pop towards that number.

Unless you make a point to drink that much anyways you might find it hard to drink 8 cups of water a day at which point the idea of drinking even more fluid might turn you off to pop just in and of itself. If you can drink 8 cups of water a day AND have a pop I think that's fine really.
  • CharleeCali
    CharleeCali Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Diet Mt. Dew in the morning (I don't like coffee), Crystal Light and water in the afternoon (both free at work), Diet Sierra Mist and water in the evening.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I drink waaaaaay too much Diet Mountain Dew. I'm trying to quit. I really am. It's just that drinking Diet Dew keeps me from overeating. Yesterday, I had 2 24 oz bottles. Usually, I do at least one of those a day. So far today, though, none! But I'll be breaking it out before long.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I was a 2-liter a day diet pop (crap) drinker for over 2 decades. Yeah, that's embarrassing to say but it's true. I guzzled the stuff because I had a career where I was talking all day long and it tasted and felt good on my throat.

Last summer I forced myself to drink and ice water every other time I was thirsty. Hubby had been pressuring me for years to get off the diet pop so I thought while it was hot, I'd try to drink water instead. Then I started sub-ing iced tea and eventually I got down to the point where I didn't really crave that cola flavor any more.

I have 3 diet Coke's in my fridge (they were left overs from a party--not mine). Haven't touched them in the 4 weeks they've been here. Just keeping them for company now :wink:
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I drink it once in a while. I'm usually not a big fan of soda, but I enjoy one from time to time. I'm drinking a diet Mountain Dew right now, as a matter of fact.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    If you want to consider getting off the pop as part of your diet here is what I would suggest that I think is a healthy way to approach it.

Make sure you drink 8 cups of water every day. Do NOT count diet pop towards that number.

Unless you make a point to drink that much anyways you might find it hard to drink 8 cups of water a day at which point the idea of drinking even more fluid might turn you off to pop just in and of itself. If you can drink 8 cups of water a day AND have a pop I think that's fine really.

8 cups of water a day??? That's done before lunch.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    "aspartame (also a common trigger in people with migraines) in diet soda that triggers migraines."

Why would protein trigger migraines? Caffeine sure as it manipulates blood flow and vascular constriction but not sure how protein would effect migraines. Do you have a source for that?
  • SuMcP
    SuMcP Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    http://www.daventryhypnotherapy.co.uk/blog/blog/2014/01/30/lose-weight-research-ditch-diet-drinks/ This is an extract from my therapy site blog, but refers to research that indicates diet drinks make the body crave the sugar it think's it is getting from the consumption of artificial sweeteners.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Aspartame = early death.