Diet pop

Options

Replies

• Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Oh, and as far as drinking 8 cups of water a day and (God forbid) don't count ANY other fluid in that total...the original recommendation was that the average human in an average setting needs 64 ounces of fluid a day. Some of that fluid comes in the food itself that we eat. The rest of it can come from any source you choose. Water, coffee, soda, whatever. (Just keep in mind that caffeine & alcohol tend to dehydrate, so I might not count those fluids, if I tracked my fluid intake at all.)
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Aspartame = early death.

Aspartame = a dipeptide between amino acids phenylalanine and aspartate. Something that exists in any slab of meat.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Aspartame = early death.

Aspartame = a dipeptide between amino acids phenylalanine and aspartate. Something that exists in any slab of meat.

Great you fed the troll here we go!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    "aspartame (also a common trigger in people with migraines) in diet soda that triggers migraines."

Why would protein trigger migraines? Caffeine sure as it manipulates blood flow and vascular constriction but not sure how protein would effect migraines. Do you have a source for that?

My neurologist. I'm not anti-aspartame, I'm just saying if you're a person who gets migraines, it can be a trigger. So can cheese. And apples. And yeast, apricots, lunch meats.... And a whole slew of other things.
  • StacyRenee77
    StacyRenee77 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking tons of water, but I drink diet and regular pop, but I hear all this crappy stuff about diet pop, it kind of scares me!!
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    "aspartame (also a common trigger in people with migraines) in diet soda that triggers migraines."

Why would protein trigger migraines? Caffeine sure as it manipulates blood flow and vascular constriction but not sure how protein would effect migraines. Do you have a source for that?

My neurologist. I'm not anti-aspartame, I'm just saying if you're a person who gets migraines, it can be a trigger. So can cheese. And apples. And yeast, apricots, lunch meats. And a whole slew of other things.

I'm skeptical. People, including credible doctors, have a tendency to attribute cause and effect by just noting that something proceeded something else. Unless there is a reason that protein would cause migraines besides mere anecdotal correlation like there is an understood reason for caffeine I remain skeptical. Not saying I'm 100% sure, just that I doubt.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    I have been drinking tons of water, but I drink diet and regular pop, but I hear all this crappy stuff about diet pop, it kind of scares me!!

Honestly nothing to be scared about but yeah you are probably better off with water if you can drink that instead without going crazy.

Might be something to the idea that if you feed your body a false source of sweetness that it will "crave" carbohydrates and lead you to eat more than you would have but that's pretty anecdotal.

I've been avoiding drinking as much pop but not because I think its unhealthy but rather just the realization that if I don't drink pop I'll drink water instead which I'm probably better off doing.
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I usually drink one can of coke zero a day. Instead of making m want sweets, it's help curb my cravings.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I have a few every week, mostly for mixing, Captain and diet root beer is epic in my book.

Rigger

I was always big on Captain and Diet Dr. Pepper.
  • I_Will_End_You
    Options

I'm skeptical. People, including credible doctors, have a tendency to attribute cause and effect by just noting that something proceeded something else. Unless there is a reason that protein would cause migraines besides mere anecdotal correlation like there is an understood reason for caffeine I remain skeptical. Not saying I'm 100% sure, just that I doubt.

K. When someone goes through years of elimination diets trying to figure out a trigger for debilitating pain, and they narrow it down to one, it must be something else. :huh: It doesn't give me migraines, but I know many people whom it does. Sorry, as anecdotal as it is, if I eat something and it makes my head feel like it's going to explode, and I have that reaction every time I consume said substance, I'm going to assume it's the cause of the pain.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

K. When someone goes through years of elimination diets trying to figure out a trigger for debilitating pain, and they narrow it down to one, it must be something else. :huh: It doesn't give me migraines, but I know many people whom it does. Sorry, as anecdotal as it is, if I eat something and it makes my head feel like it's going to explode, and I have that reaction every time I consume said substance, I'm going to assume it's the cause of the pain.

Its still anecdotal and I still remain skeptical. There is a reason that science ignores all anecdotal evidence.
    Not sure why it would be important for you to convince me so probably can just leave it at that. I'm not telling you to drink soda if you don't want to I'm just saying there is no concrete evidence that it causes harm, because there isn't.

Unless you avoid protein entirely you are still taking in aspartate and phenylalanine which are the metabolic breakdown products of aspartame. You probably get more aspartate and phenylalanine from a slab of steak than you do from 4 diet colas. If you suffer from PKU that could explain issues with aspartame due to the phenylalanine content.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options

+1
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    http://food.gov.uk/science/research/foodcomponentsresearch/riskassessment/t01programme/t01projlist/t01054/

Double blind crossover study of people who claim adverse effects to aspartame.

Can attempt a similar experiment yourself.

Have someone prepare 10 bottled waters labeled A through J. To one of those bottles the person would add aspartame to the others they would add another artificial sweetener of similar sweetness and taste such as sucralose. Each day drink one of the bottles and if you get a headache note which bottle it was. Under those conditions do you think you would be able to identify the 1 out of 10 water bottles that contained aspartame?
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I drink about half a can of diet pepsi each weekday in the morning. And none on the weekends. :)

I believe with things like this, moderation is key.
  • mandakittykitty
    mandakittykitty Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I used to love Diet Coke but I've switched mostly to water. My boyfriend keeps the "10 calorie" sodas in the house all the time, which I'll enjoy from time to time (10 calorie Sunkist and A&W).

I keep bottles of carbonated water in the house now, and those help me when I have that bubbly soda craving. Sometimes I'll add a splash of a sugar free french vanilla syrup--it's like an italian soda! So gooood.
  • MrsCZM138
    MrsCZM138 Posts: 116
    Options
    I don't like coffee so I drink one diet pop in the morning, then ~ 70 oz of water, and sometimes a pop with dinner. Before this I only ever drank pop so it was tough to start and I had to force myself to drink that much water, but now it's easy and the pop doesn't seem to satiate my thirst like water.
  • billyswife0516
    Options
    I personally have 1 or 2 a week. The rest of the time it's straight water :-)
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I usually drink one can of coke zero a day. Instead of making m want sweets, it's help curb my cravings.

This is my experience too. I drink a Diet A&W (am drinking one now) per day. I also put Splenda in my coffee and like Mio in my evening water. It doesn't make me crave sugar at all and I manage to mantain a lean body with it, so....

That's not saying I dont think I should wean off the diet soda. But more for tooth and bone heath than anything else.
  • I_Will_End_You
    Options
    I used to love Diet Coke but I've switched mostly to water. My boyfriend keeps the "10 calorie" sodas in the house all the time, which I'll enjoy from time to time (10 calorie Sunkist and A&W).

I've never tried those, do they actually taste more like regular soda or is the 10 calorie thing more of a marketing scheme?
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    I_Will_End_You. You know if you do suffer ill effects from aspartame you should probably get checked by your doctor for phenylketonuria (PKU) which is a disorder of metabolism in which the body is unable to process phenylalanine. As a result imbibing foods that have high phenylalanine content can result in ill effects that are noticeable in the body and it specifically effects the brain. One of the breakdown products of aspartame is phenylalanine and people with PKU should avoid it.

There are a lot of people who suffer from particular genetic metabolic disorders (PKU being one of them) and not know about it. Celiac in which a person cannot properly digest gluten is another common example. If you do get diagnosed with PKU there is probably a whole other host of food items it might be good to avoid that would improve your overall health.

To date the only scientifically supported evidence for ill effects of aspartame are in people who have PKU.