What was the first thing you changed?

Options

Replies

• 52dave62
    52dave62 Posts: 28
    Options
    Replaced colas with water, Cut out the white carbs, bread, potatoes and pasta. Stopped shopping like a kid in the candy, cookie and frozen treats sections of the store. AND drove by the fast food places without stopping at the driving thru window.
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I started tracking my calories and kept them under about 1400. Was trying to stick to MFP's 1320 recommendation but I generally went over by a small bit. My initial motivation was to control my food intake. I had NO drive to exercise & I knew if I tried both at the same time I'd give up b/c imho it's extremely difficult to change all aspects of your life at one time.

So, first 3 weeks, food adjustments only. Then I added some exercise b/c I was starving, lol. Then upped my net calories to 1500-1600, still losing so stopped exercising. After some issues going on now stop I plan to start exercising again.
  • MiqGallegos
    Options
    I gave up soy and almonds. That was the very first thing.
  • mollybuck
    mollybuck Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Drive through fast food
  • NoMoreStretchyPants
    Options
    It was many years ago, but I stopped eating anything processed. If it had a shelf life, it was gone from my pantry.
  • TattedInStilettos
    TattedInStilettos Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    My way of thinking... negative to positive...
  • Chipidies
    Chipidies Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I cut out sugar. I figured if I could tackle the hardest thing first, everything else would be easier because it would train me to really pay attention to labels and what I was eating/drinking. It worked!
  • DLo_122
    DLo_122 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I started logging my food intake daily, T25, cut out soda.....and staying within 1200 calorie a day diet.

It's not easy, but it works and I feel great!
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    exercise regime.
  • Laquincy
    Laquincy Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Logging, stopped drinking my calories, so mostly water 95% of the time, and stopped the Oreos w/ milk and cakes...but they are so tempteing :-)
  • freckledjezebel
    freckledjezebel Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I started making healthier choices to stay within my calorie limits. Added exercise later.
  • dlkingsbury
    dlkingsbury Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Tracking via MFP. Once i saw how many calories were in certain things and how everything added up, it became a lot easier to say yes and no to certain foods.
  • chaemd
    chaemd Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The first thing that I did was I cut out all the white stuff - white pasta, white rice, white potatoes, white bread, sugar - and substituted for brown - multigrain pasta, brown rice, sweet potatoes, wheat bread, cane sugar. If I ate out and there was only white stuff, no brown options, it meant that I couldn't eat it. I learned to prepare the stuff I could eat at home. That meant fewer calories because I knew what went into my food - less butter, salt, etc. The first six months I refused to start moving - NO exercise. I lost 27lbs. Then I started the exercise, because I realized I had to do more. Years later, things have changed. I exercise six days per week. It's just what I do, out of habit. I know that my weight goals and success are 75% - 85% dependent upon getting the eating right. If I don't eat properly, I can exercise all I want, the weight is not coming off and I am likely to gain because my body is used to the activity. There's a delicate balance between my intake and my output. Don't let anybody tell you different - it's all about the chemistry. You have to find what works for you and keep putting one foot in front of the other. Dont' forget to keep tweaking it to overcome the plateaus.
  • allotmentgardener
    allotmentgardener Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Cut out the fizzy drinks and crisps and started drinking more water... feel loads better now.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Wow, um... must've been the switch to diet soda, when Coke Zero became a thing.
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Removed snack items from the house and especially from next to my chair. Replaced them with carrots and apples (I ate SO many carrots at the start and apples too - I was a veritable Mr Ed).
    Snacks have made a return to the house as I have gotten better at portion control (thanks to the food scale). I try to choose healthier options and definitely tastier options and keep them away from my chair. Still love carrots and apples.
  • williamshl10
    williamshl10 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Used to drink 2Liters of Mountain Dew a day or more :( 880 calories just to drink. That doesn't even include the Coffee Coolatas I used to get a few times a week. And I used to eat a whole bag of Knorr noodles.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    The first thing I changed was lowering my portions of food & trying to eat a bit healthier while still enjoying my treats.
  • grillnchill
    grillnchill Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Upped my water, moved my culo a lot more, cut back on drinking alcohol dramatically.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    i started to exercise everyday. shock to my system but worth it