Join me: 1000 squats and 700 Crunches Challenge

Options

Replies

• Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Y r u so argumentative if u dont want to do it then u shouldnt have clicked it. It two things that most people people have problems with and it keeps it simple. Thats it

O K C u L8tr
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Y r u so argumentative if u dont want to do it then u shouldnt have clicked it. It two things that most people people have problems with and it keeps it simple. Thats it

Forgive me - I'm not argumentative - I'm reasonable. When I see someone suggesting something that is going to possibly cause injury and asking people to join him/ her - I feel I must voice concern. Having voiced said concern - have at 'er. Come on back and tell us how your trip to the emerg was.

As for crunches - do some research - yes it hurts, but it the muscles you are using are mostly in your back and crunches are of little benefit to your abs.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

because there's a much more reasonable way to get much better results without straining your knees or back nearly as much, that's Y.

Cn U C wut I'm saying? That's the it.
  • bunkahes
    bunkahes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    yeah good luck with that, you should had something for beginners, just starting out,
  • gogeegee
    gogeegee Posts: 13
    Options
    I'm in - just did a 30 day squat challenge so this amps it up for me a bit more...went from doing 10 squats on day 1 to 250 squats on day 30 so I think I am ready for this. Good on you for putting a challenge out there. I will start today and log every day how I went.
    Good luck everyone who is joining the challenge :)
  • superlilmomma
    Options
    Sorry I miss took ur aggressiveness. Being informative is one thing. And ur words still sould aggresive now. I was a extreme ballerina dancer we squated with near all our moves and I have never gone to the er because of it this is not for someone that is just starting to exercise. It just suppose to be challenge I have had 5 kids and 25 and still in good shape.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Sorry I miss took ur aggressiveness. Being informative is one thing. And ur words still sould aggresive now. I was a extreme ballerina dancer we squated with near all our moves and I have never gone to the er because of it this is not for someone that is just starting to exercise. It just suppose to be challenge I have had 5 kids and 25 and still in good shape.

exactly. as a ballerina you may have done a ton of squat type movements but you would have been in much better condition than the type of person that would be attracted to a challenge like this. Most of these bodyweight challenges attract new, deconditioned people that may not have access to a gym or may be intimidated by a gym. To ask them to do 143 squats a day asking for trouble. especially when the results will be negligible.
  • superlilmomma
    Options
    I didnt start this I jioned it and sorry I was saying ur words were aggressive I meant the lady above u again sorry u were hursh with ur words
  • superlilmomma
    Options
    Me too what was the 30 day squat challenge like.
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Whoa I just started squatting (like to prep for dead lifts) and I'm lucky to get 60 done a day (3 sets of 20).

It is just sooooo painful!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Why do 1000 squats when doing 20 (3 sets of 5, 2 times a week) with some weight on your back will accomplish more?

^I'm with this.

Doing what you are doing isn't going to help your muscle strength. It'll help with endurance for sure, but you're basically doing cardio. The wear and tear on your joints is also not being allowed to heal if we look at your plan and working the same muscle group back to back is not recommended.

Also, I would not recommend this plan to people with back issues. Crunches are already known to aggravate the condition...doing this many consistently is not going to do you any favors. And for one of the better body weight exercises targeting the core/abs...I'd recommend planks.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Whoa I just started squatting (like to prep for dead lifts) and I'm lucky to get 60 done a day (3 sets of 20).

Are these weighted? Your deads must suffer with so many reps. Are you focused more on endurance/cardio than strength or hypertrophy?
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Well i haven't done squats in a while but i think that would be sorta manageable the first couple days but then the 3rd day or so my legs wont have any of it since i haven't done them in a while haha!

Crunches on the other hand... i can't do to save my life. I feel like i'm breaking my neck and like my boobs and my tummy are squishing the life out of me. I look forward to trying to do crunches when i get in a healthy weight range! :)

Goodluck!! :)
  • superlilmomma
    Options
    A good way not to stress ur joints is by spacing them out longer try doing entervals of other moves between them like crunches other ab moves and arm moves it makes a big difference
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    A good way not to stress ur joints is by spacing them out longer try doing entervals of other moves between them like crunches other ab moves and arm moves it makes a big difference

Your still stressing them. And you are still working your muscles. Spacing them out through the day or putting other moves between isn't going to change the fact that you are working the same muscle group constantly and not allowing them to really heal.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

If it's truly "painful", then you're doing it wrong.

For starters, I would reconsider your set/rep scheme.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Well i haven't done squats in a while but i think that would be sorta manageable the first couple days but then the 3rd day or so my legs wont have any of it since i haven't done them in a while haha!

Crunches on the other hand... i can't do to save my life. I feel like i'm breaking my neck and like my boobs and my tummy are squishing the life out of me. I look forward to trying to do crunches when i get in a healthy weight range! :)

Goodluck!! :)

Re crunches, they're generally a...(how you say?)...less-than-optimal exercise...but if you insist on doing them, whatever you do, do *not* put your hands behind your head unless you are absolutely certain you can resist the urge to try to pull yourself up with them. (Pro-tip: you probably can't; most people can't.) This is what's know as a Very Bad Idea™ that can lead to all kinds of neck problems. Instead, cross your arms over your chest.

While many compound movements like squats and deadlifts will hit your abs with plenty of resistance, if you're really set on working them in isolation, I really like the ab wheel. ~$10 and kind of fun (without all the neck-wrenching and squishing).
  • conquertheself
    conquertheself Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    143 squats and 100 crunches down I turned it into a circuit workout for today. Man I feel good and sore. Loving the burn .

GREAT! I still have some squats to do! I love that burn as well!!
  • conquertheself
    Options

YES exactly my thoughts. Thank you for saying this
  • conquertheself
    Options
    Why do 1000 squats when doing 20 (3 sets of 5, 2 times a week) with some weight on your back will accomplish more?

well why not? Its a challenge and it needs determination. And how can you be sure if what you are saying will accomplish more? You can add weights to the 1000 squats if you want to make it more challenging and accomplish a lot more.

Well no - all you'll do is make yourself tired. Have you never heard of the law of diminishing returns? Crunches are pretty much a waste of time anyway - they mainly work your back muscles. And 143 body weight squats a day will just aggravate your knees.

Why not spend your time on specific exercises instead of throwing something against the wall to see if it sticks?

I see what you mean by this and I respect your opinion. Just to be clear this is just a one month hard challenge aside from my usual workouts I do during the week. 143 squats per day and 100 crunches is not much if you actually try it.