How frequently do you exercise?

Options
dsb188
dsb188 Posts: 121 Member
Hello,

I have a general question. How frequently does everyone exercise? I am currently on the keto diet and I am down 33lbs. I at first started exercising 7 days a week but I'm completely burned down and started cutting it down to 6 but wasn't sure if I could cut it down to 5. I am 6ft 315lb male. I don't mind working out 7 days a week but I don't want it to be counterproductive. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Replies

• AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I don't really see much advantage to working out 7 days/week. I believe in diminishing returns after a point... I usually alternate workout days (4x/week) and rest days (3x/week). It's okay if rest days are "active" - doing easy activities like walking, yoga, etc. I'm also way more active in the summer vs winter and I have to remind myself to rest/recover.

Edited to fix typo. Oops.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    3-4x a week.

No need to work out 7 days a week. You're just going to burn yourself out and eventually quit.
  • dsb188
    dsb188 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I always feel this tremendous amount of guilt when I don't exercise but I need to realize I need rest days
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I always feel this tremendous amount of guilt when I don't exercise but I need to realize I need rest days

No need to feel guilty! Rest is just as crucial for the body as the workout! :flowerforyou:
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/sampleworkouts/a/RestandRecovery.htm
    http://www.active.com/running/articles/what-to-do-on-rest-and-recovery-days
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    3-6 days per week, depends on my schedule.
  • dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I go to Yogalates (Yoga-Pilates) class twice a week. It is like standing pilates and works a lot on core and balance.
    Three to four times a week I go to the gym for 50 minutes and do some cardio, freeweights and various core and flexibility exercises.

I probably could go to the gym less often, but I like to go because I see my friends there at the senior center gym. I sometimes go in the evenings to work out with my husband and adult son at the regular gym.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I try for 2 to 4. I don't do much cardio other than regular walking, etc., but I am trying really hard to get on a more consistent routine with lifting. Although, I may start doing more cardio to try to be more supportive of a friend of mine. I just don't see the benefit of working out every single day. I think I'd hate it after a while.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Whenever I feel like it - literally. Good thing I like physical activity, so I end up feeling like it more often than not. I don't have a set schedule but I tend to do weights 2-3 times a week, a long cross-country run once a week and then dog walks and hikes whenever. If I miss a day or two or three here or there, oh well. Rest days are just as important as workouts.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    7. Check out my profile and you will understand. I always have insane energy. Running, snowboarding, skateboarding, climbing mtns, im out everyday doing something. Been doing it all my life.

I do NOT recommend this for everyone. This has been a lifestyle for me.
    Take a day or 2 off a week and you will be fine.
  • DreamOfSunshine
    DreamOfSunshine Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I started just like you ... 7 days per week and on day 20 I was so tired and exhausted that I decided to listen to my body. At my heaviest, I was going 3-4 times per week, regular burn 500-800 cals per workout, mostly cardio. Now I do 4-5 intense workouts per week, but they are alteration between strength and cardio... Rest days are just as important as the workout days! :)

Good Luck :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I at first started exercising 7 days a week but I'm completely burned down

What's your net calorie intake, and are you fuelling your training?

Jumping from minimal to 7 days a week is quite a step and it's not out of the question that you're underfuelled, also what are you doing on those sessions?

Personally I train 6-7 times per week, ranging from one very short run of 3-5km through to a long run of approaching 20km, including three interval/ tempo sessions, as well as a couple of resistance sessions and a long ride or row.

To fuel that I eat at a limited deficit.
  • Mauthos
    Mauthos Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I train basically 6 times a week, but this includes 6 weight sessions, 2 body combat sessions and 2 martial arts sessions. However, on Tuesday, which is technically my day off I teach martial arts for 2.5 hours, but teaching I don't find physically demanding so do not class it as exercise really.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    3-6 times a week depending on what i've got planned
  • matuskap
    matuskap Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I do cardio 7 times a week (running 5-20km) and strength training 6 times a week. 3 body parts combination all 2 times a week. Ive been training for 8 years tho, i would not be able to do that when i started.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    5 days a week is enough! Like you said more then that and I get sick of it.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    It depends what you count as exercise. I run 6 days a week some weeks I will run 10 days and have 2 off, I do however though walk my dogs every day so that's a minimum of 5 miles walking a day. You can only judge on your personal circumstances. it's not really a case of having days off but easier days. Over the winter I ran 83 days straight but I had easier days that all I did was run 1 or 2 miles at a slow pace. To me it's not a case of having days off but having easier recovery days.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    walking is my main exercise for now and I try to do it 6 days a week, several miles a day. I take Mondays off for the sake of smell and practicality - that's trash day in my neighborhood and all the sidewalks are lined with stinky rotten trash bins so I choose not to walk that day :drinker:
  • Mich4871
    Mich4871 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    5-6 days/ usually 5. I find my workouts are a great stress reliever when I'm having a bad day.

twice a week I train with a trainer. Now that the weather is getting nice, I'm trying to get outside and run more.
  • Cynner2007
    Cynner2007 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 7 days of cardio a week. I think I am going to cut down to 5 or 6. I do feel very tired, but they may be a problem with my calories as MFP has me at 1250.
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    5-6days a week, depending on how I'm feeling/work/life schedule

I always do 4 runs and 3 weight sessions. Sometimes they fall on the same days so I have 2 rest days, sometimes they don't so I only have 1.

I try to have 1 rest day were the only exercise is walking the dog.