How frequently do you exercise?

Options

Replies

• justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I was literally exercising every day, 30 minutes at least, until I started training for a half marathon last year. The training schedule had rest days on monday and friday but at first I was just not running but lifiting and hitting the arc trainer or something...

As the miles built, the rest days actually became important.

Now I still have rest days on mondays and fridays but if the weather allows I go for a 45 minute (or so) walk at lunch to pad my calorie allowance so planning my food on those days isn't as tricky. No beer, but real meals and snacks..
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I love to walk and would do it every day if time permitted but I have committed to exercising 4 days @ 30 minutes minimum.
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Generally 6 days a week.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I do cardio on a stationary bike 7 days per week. I sit at a desk all day, and I look at my 45 minutes on a bike as a way to burn a few more calories as if I had a less sedentary job. It is low stress on the joints and I can watch TV or read a book while doing it.

3 days per week I do strength training and often another 30+ minute cardio session like swimming, water aerobics or an exercise DVD. These are the days where I push myself and I make sure there is a day between the sessions.

At one point I felt like I wasn't recovering well from all of the exercise, and after doing the TDEE math realized I wasn't eating enough. I increased my calories by 500 per day and now I can recover again.
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    30-60 minutes every day. 7th day is a rest day, which is generally 20 minutes of yoga and/or a 30 minute brisk walk for me. I walk with my coworkers for 30 minutes every day before lunch (when the weather permits), and then usually do kickboxing, pilates, aerobic dance, and other various types of workouts depending on my mood for another 20-30 minutes when I get home from work.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you MUST exercise daily, I don't see a problem with it -- the key is not to go too hard every day. There's nothing wrong with going for a nice, easy run, walk, bike ride, swim, whatever -- just at a very easy pace. What burns you out is hitting it hard, workout after workout.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone else has suggested this, but it might also be a question of what you're doing, not just how much or how often you're doing it. It's often a good idea to give your muscles some time to heal after a stressful workout. That's less true for some exercise / muscles and more true for others, but it's worth considering.

For example, I do some sort of resistance training (usually free weight stuff) three days a week -- typically M/W/F -- but I always take a day "off" between lifting sessions.

On those "off" days (Tu/Th), I'll usually go for a run and, depending on how I feel, I might throw in 20-30 minutes of core/abdominal stuff as well.

Then on Saturday I play it by ear. If I feel like I have the energy for it, maybe I'll go for a run. Sunday's a rest day, to make sure I'm ready for pushing things a bit harder on my Monday lifts.

I'll usually switch my lifting routine every few months, and I try to make sure I'm getting ~10k steps a day (if possible, not including my runs).

For me, it really comes down to keeping things varied & as well-rounded as I can, and trying to stay as generally active as I can, even outside of specific exercise.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Unintentionally, almost everyday. Abstract exercise in the form of lifting 3 times a week, then kung fu, tennis or dodgeball for different exercise on every other day.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on losing 33 lbs. OP!

I workout basically everyday, but none of my workouts are strenuous or high impact. I walk briskly everyday (average 2 - 5 miles), lift weights 3x per week, and I do other things throughout the week (Youtube videos, workout dvd's, mini-stepper, ice skake, tennis etc.). I do completely different workouts everyday so I'm hitting different parts of my body and so that never bored.

Depending on how my body feels I will take a rest day where I do nothing maybe once a month.

My job is completely sedentary and I drive everywhere, so I need the exercise to keep fit and stay healthy.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I have a general question. How frequently does everyone exercise? I am currently on the keto diet and I am down 33lbs. I at first started exercising 7 days a week but I'm completely burned down and started cutting it down to 6 but wasn't sure if I could cut it down to 5. I am 6ft 315lb male. I don't mind working out 7 days a week but I don't want it to be counterproductive. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I exercise daily - walking goal of 10,000 steps (3.79 mi). Five days a week I add in cardio and strength training. My exercise sessions are in 15 to 20 minute blocks so the number of blocks per day varies. It depends on what exercising you are doing. If lifting heavy, you need to have rest days. There's apps to help you create an exercise program that will include the proper amount of rest needed.
  • luzdelua
    luzdelua Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It sort of became a habit for me to wake up and go to the gym. I strive for 4 days every week and rest on the weekend.
  • DeniseR79
    DeniseR79 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I work out 3-4 days a week and on the other days try to fit in other activities but nothing formal. Like yesterday I spent the morning running and biking and today while a "rest" day I'll be walking to do my in town errands and shooting some baskets later with my kids. Everything in moderation I always remember.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I do my real training 4 days a week. The other 3 days I do HIIT, grip work and some prehab for my shoulders.
  • MysteriousLdy
    MysteriousLdy Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    4-5 times a week, from gym workout to swimming
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I do about 6 days exercise a week, but I really mix it up. My main thing is running, but then I also do Spinning, and a lot of strength work...weights/body weight work, I occassionally swim (but to be honest, I find it a bit boring). I never do the same workout two days in a row. If I'm injured or have any pain/twinges then I do nothing until I am satisfied that it's gone - though *touch wood* I have not had that problem in a long time.
  • dsb188
    dsb188 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thats a good point!!! Thanks
  • dsb188
    Options
    Thanks so much for the feedback!!!! Congrats on your weight loss as well. I work from home so I'm sitting down all day unless I work out during the day. So I know what you mean with that feeling of needing to do something to stay active!!!!
  • dsb188
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great feedback. I am going to shoot for 5-6 days and see how that goes! I appreciate everyone's input. It has helped a lot!
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    3-4 times a week basically on my none work days, but I can work up to 10 miles on those days
  • susanb573
    susanb573 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am just getting back into exercising so right now I do seven days a week because if I took a day off it would turn into 3 years off. When the habit is formed I will cut back to probably 5 days a week.