Why you should NOT workout

Options
NormInv
NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
Heard on the interwebz that we are all born with a certain number of heartbeats. So if you exercise, your heart beats faster to your early demise.

If a clock, a clutch, an IPad has s shelf life, then it makes sense that the heart as a shelf life.

What say you?

Replies

• bimpski
    bimpski Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    not true!
  • Lestrange__
    Lestrange__ Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Definitely not true.
  • ravenribbs
    ravenribbs Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    If it's on the web, it must be true.........not.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    LOL
  • redhotsc
    redhotsc Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I say that it is not finite. If you make the battery to a device hot, it's life is shortened. If you keep it cold, it is lengthened. As for the muscle of the heart, if you keep it active, it keeps the debris cleaned out and the muscle itself functioning more efficiently, hence prolonging the life of the muscle. Therefore, me says, carry on that workout!
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    That would so explain why cardiology clinics are full of fit people who exercise...oh wait, no they aren't LOL!
  • knightlygator
    Options
    Where are the bro-scientific peer reviewed tweets to back all this up??
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Heard on the interwebz that we are all born with a certain number of heartbeats. So if you exercise, your heart beats faster to your early demise.

If a clock, a clutch, an IPad has s shelf life, then it makes sense that the heart as a shelf life.

What say you?

Don't believe the premise that you have finite beats but exercise also makes your heart stronger and more efficient lowering your resting heart rate and meaning that everyday tasks won't elevate your heart rate anywhere near as much
  • LanceKarcher
    LanceKarcher Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Suppose you exercise for 30 minutes /day. Once you have achieved cardiovascular fitness the decreased heart rate for the remaining 23.5 hours/day would make up for the 1/2 hour your rate was elevated.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    You are kidding right. Tell me yes, you were joking.
  • NormInv
    Options
    But we have no definite proof that exercise makes you live longer. Not talking quality of life. Sure you can be a fat slob, cant take the stairs and live to be 100, and sure you can be an athlete and have a heart attach at 45....

Point is, time and gravity are what cause things to have a shelf life including instruments. And human body is the same. When you use it faster, you lose it faster.....is what they are saying.

i am just the news bearer
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    What say I? I say it sounds like we humans will do anything to avoid exercise! lol No. I don't believe it. I think if we look after our heart muscle it will work longer and better. All things in moderation though. I am sure over doing exercise is just as harmful as doing no exercise, maybe more, but that is just my musings, not science.
  • thatonegirlnamedmya
    Options
    hahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahahahaha
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options

What say you?

^ backed by science.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I have heard something similar. But I'd rather leave a pretty corpse. Live fast, die young :)
  • ptaradactyl88
    ptaradactyl88 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    yea, I spent 23 years trying to commit suicide by tobacco and it just was working too slowly so now I exercise instead.
  • NormInv
    Options
    Ok so lets think about it. You buy a clock....you take super care of it, you keep it in a dust proof, vacuumed container. do you really think it will work longer than the identicant one you bought that gathered dust? i think not
  • timodawson
    timodawson Posts: 41 Member
    Options

...i am just the news bearer

Source?
  • Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Heard on the interwebz that we are all born with a certain number of heartbeats. So if you exercise, your heart beats faster to your early de-

tumblr_inline_mqqp7wW6Xf1qz4rgp.gif
  • Perplexities
    Perplexities Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    There's obviously a lot of variables to it.

You can elevate your HR by working out, without actually making your heart stronger or more efficient.
    So the argument of "Surely your resting HR will be lower, and make up for it." isn't always true.
    In this case, if your heart was the limiting factor, (which isn't common.) it could potentially be true.

It obviously isn't something that can be proven or disprove easily.
    If you look into it, you can easily find articles written by MD's arguing both sides, but most of them summarize with
    "We don't really know for certain."

Caffeine and most stimulants also increase HR.