Small women: where do you shop?!?

Options
I'm freaking out a little bit bc I have several events to attend this spring/summer and I cannot find a dress that fits and is affordable. Vanity sizing has royally screwed me. I have dresses that are size 2 from 8+ years ago that fit like a glove and when I go in the same stores (Ann Taylor, JCrew, etc) now the size 0s are too big! I'm 32 years old, 5'3 and 119 lbs. I'm certainly not the skinniest woman around, so where are you finding clothes that fit you?! I'm finding that expensive designer clothes use the traditional sizes , but I can't afford them. Please help!

Replies

• ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Find a good tailor or learn how to sew. Seriously. I'm in the same boat ... 5'0, small frame. I pretty much can't wear anything anymore that isn't specifically scaled for petites. Even if I could hem a regular dress, the waist will fall too low on me, so I basically would have to get the thing cut in half and reconstructed.

You mentioned Ann Taylor and JCrew. Are you shopping in their petite lines? They start from 00P/XXSP. Same with Banana Republic. The Limited now offers petite sizing, too. I just bought a petite dress from JCrew last week. The proportions are perfect for me.

Here is a blog I follow that is very helpful: http://www.extrapetite.com
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Depending in your personal style...you may want to try stores that cater to younger women. Ann Taylor and J Crew serve an older demographic, who are typically larger, on average, than 20somethings. I'm not one of those younger smaller women, lol, so I can't give you specific recommendations, but my very fit younger sister, who is 37 and a size 0-2, often shops at stores geared towards a younger crowd.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    You mentioned Ann Taylor and JCrew. Are you shopping in their petite lines? They start from 00P/XXSP.
    Oh The Gap has petite sizes online, too. And they're more than just jeans and casuals, they often have very pretty dresses too.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    European stores like H&M and Zara are a good bet; they tend to cut clothes more narrowly than US brands. I also still shop in the juniors section of department stores, even though I'm old enough to have already skipped my 20th high school reunion.

If you have dresses that are too big that you love, take a look at them and consider which ones are worth getting tailored. I've even started tailoring my own simple dresses by taking in the side seams -- it's not hard to do if you can use a sewing machine.
  • accebersmith
    accebersmith Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've found Lands End to be reliable as far as sizing for me, and I'm four foot eleven. The only place I have to be careful with them is bust size. They carry well-made classic dresses that I've worn for business meetings, graduation/weddings, and cocktail parties. Nothing trendy going on there, but if you need reliable sizing and elegant styles, they're spot on.
  • VelcroButt
    VelcroButt Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Ann Taylor Loft makes small sizes
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm about 5'1", 32, and 110ish. (I say ish b/c I swear just last week I was at 113, but last night I stepped on the scale and it said 109.5....huh? chalking it up to taking the stairs at work and the wonky things my body does right before Aunt Flo visits)

anywho - I shop at Kohl's in the petite section, Ross, Beall's (I live in FL, they may not have one wherever you are), Old Navy,....and that is about it. I hate paying a lot of money for clothes so the last time I was Banana Republic (with a gift card!) I ended up with only a silk blouse from the clearance area and a necklace because everything was so flippin' expensive, well more expensive than what I am used to. I do have a couple of tops from the regular section at Kohl's, but definitely not pants, lol. And last time I was in there, there was a bunch of cute dresses in the junior section but nothing fit me right. And the JCPenney ad's always look they have some cute stuff, but I haven't been shopping in one in a long time.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Nordstrom by you? They sell small sizes - 0 - 2 - AND they do alterations right there. I get dresses there - I'm 5"2" and 113 lbs, and I get my daughter dresses there - she's 4"11 and is 100 lbs.
  • runnergirl0721
    runnergirl0721 Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1 and about 125-130...and range from a 2-6 depending on the style, cut, designer, etc....Honestly if you're looking for all different styles of dresses ranging in price, try Ross first. As crazy as it sounds, I have found amazing dresses at even better price points there for weddings, black tie events, work, etc...
  • rosy003
    rosy003 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I didn't realize there was a 00 in those stores! I haven't really shopped online bc I like to try things on- our stores mostly stop at 2. :/
    I have hope again- looking for a nice dress that is not too mature but not juniors either.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I'm freaking out a little bit bc I have several events to attend this spring/summer and I cannot find a dress that fits and is affordable. Vanity sizing has royally screwed me. I have dresses that are size 2 from 8+ years ago that fit like a glove and when I go in the same stores (Ann Taylor, JCrew, etc) now the size 0s are too big! I'm 32 years old, 5'3 and 119 lbs. I'm certainly not the skinniest woman around, so where are you finding clothes that fit you?! I'm finding that expensive designer clothes use the traditional sizes , but I can't afford them. Please help!

At 5'3" and 119 you should have no problem. At 5'5" and 123 I could fit into lots of clothing. Where are you shopping? I wear a 4 at Ann Taylor loft and most other brands.
  • MyRummyHens
    MyRummyHens Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I get all mine online, I'm UK based. I have the same problem, petite, slim framed, vanity sizing = nightmare. Also 31 and I find that lots of the high street stuff is too young for what I want, and the shops which stock a petite range are often aimed way too old. I don't want to dress like the average 17 year old, nor am I ready to look 60.

At 35.5-23-32 I used to be the 'perfect' UK6/US2, now the UK4/US0 stuff mostly falls off of me, or hits the boobs and looks like a tent.

I find Bench XXS (if you can find it) is sensibly sized for a 24 inch waist and 32/33 inch hips, otherwise I tend to look for designer items (which are always smaller than high street) in sales, at outlets or online. Amazon in the UK often has designer items at a fraction of their full price cost, not sure about Amazon US?
  • ivannamarie7
    Options
    I shop at the Gap, they make petite clothes and I've been a size 4 there in everything for as long as I can remember, even with small weight fluctuations.

I am 33, 5'0 and 122.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Modcloth.com has some really cute and affordable dresses. Just check the sizing measurements before you order. They also will put if it runs true to size or if the sizing runs larger or smaller. It is really easy to order and do returns with, if you need to.
  • rosy003
    rosy003 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    At 5'3" and 119 you should have no problem. At 5'5" and 123 I could fit into lots of clothing. Where are you shopping? I wear a 4 at Ann Taylor loft and most other brands.
    [/quote]

I feel like that should be true, but it isn't! I'm not some crazy skinny/small person, but I must have weird proportions or something. Ann Taylor 0 is too big on me- I've tried multiple styles/cuts of dresses and it's always the same. Sometimes the hips will fit in the 0 but the waist and bust will be too big. I don't know why- going by my numbers I should fit in regular clothes! I was in our Ross this week and they did not have a single dress smaller than a 4. Maybe it's where I live?
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options

I feel like that should be true, but it isn't! I'm not some crazy skinny/small person, but I must have weird proportions or something. Ann Taylor 0 is too big on me- I've tried multiple styles/cuts of dresses and it's always the same. Sometimes the hips will fit in the 0 but the waist and bust will be too big. I don't know why- going by my numbers I should fit in regular clothes! I was in our Ross this week and they did not have a single dress smaller than a 4. Maybe it's where I live?
    [/quote]

You need to try different stores. Do you have loft (not regular ann Taylor)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Depending in your personal style...you may want to try stores that cater to younger women. Ann Taylor and J Crew serve an older demographic, who are typically larger, on average, than 20somethings. I'm not one of those younger smaller women, lol, so I can't give you specific recommendations, but my very fit younger sister, who is 37 and a size 0-2, often shops at stores geared towards a younger crowd.

This!

I've had really good luck at stores like Delia's and Dry Goods. It's for teens and college kids, so they have a lot of dresses that are cute and have decent coverage, but aren't super modest. I also second Modcloth, but those can get expensive. If you do try there, make sure to read the comments because it's likely someone of your height and measurements will include how a certain size fit them.
  • janetay01
    janetay01 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I shop whereever I see clothes that I like and then have them altered. I'm 5 ft (in heels :laugh: ) and have short legs so even the petite lines don't fit where leg length is concerned. But most of these problems can be fixed by a good tailor.
  • nickelp22
    nickelp22 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am not really small 5'6 134 but I would recommend The Limited I love it there and they have short, regular and long sizes. You can check them out on line too.
  • MissLeelooDallas
    MissLeelooDallas Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and currently 101.6. I shop at The Limited, Express, H&M (love their deals and sizes), and occasionally Modcloth (though you'll need to check measurements for each specific dress you might want). Hope that helps! Vanity sizing is the devil!