Small women: where do you shop?!?

Options

Replies

• thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    poor you!

Do you care to explain yourself?

^indeed. I'd be interested in hearing your explanation as well.

I shop at banana republic mostly for pants and suiting needs. Sometimes nordstroms rack, and random deals elsewhere.
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    This has been an interesting thread. I'm just out of plus sizes, and I have a heck of a time finding things that fit. i always assumed that clothes were made for the "smaller" woman and those women would have a much easier time shopping than their bigger sisters.

I guess I was wrong.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time finding jeans that fit - at 5'2" and around 113 lbs (and I have NO butt so to speak of) - AND I don't want to pay $100 for a pair of jeans.

I recently found jeans at Target - YES, Target - Denizen brand jeans - they are actually made by Levi's exclusively for Target - they HAVE PETITE SIZES!

I got two pairs of the 'Stretch Skinny' Jeans - they were around $25 a pair........

Check them out, ladies!
  • yourfitnessenemy
    yourfitnessenemy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time finding jeans that fit - at 5'2" and around 113 lbs (and I have NO butt so to speak of) - AND I don't want to pay $100 for a pair of jeans.

I recently found jeans at Target - YES, Target - Denizen brand jeans - they are actually made by Levi's exclusively for Target - they HAVE PETITE SIZES!

I got two pairs of the 'Stretch Skinny' Jeans - they were around $25 a pair........

Check them out, ladies!

I'm about your size and I buy my jeans for $7-10 at Forever 21. They're awesome and so comfy.

I get a lot of small stuff from Anthropologie on sale.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I'm pushing 50 - I don't know if they'd let me into a store called 'Forever 21'!

Maybe I could sneak in the back..................................!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Reading this makes me MORE frustrated, I think...at least the short women here seem to be able to buy petites! I'm 5'4" so petite stuff is always just a bit too short everywhere too.

Someone needs to start a business for small (but not necessarily short) adult women, selling work-appropriate clothes in small sizes at reasonable prices. I can't afford to buy $500 skirts unless it is a seriously special occasion!
  • lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    im 5'2 and I don't buy petites ever..... it seems like the clothes I buy fits just right....

I shop at ----

love culture
    forever 21
    rue 21
    ae
    charlotte russe
    amiclubwear
    I shop ALOT on Korean fashion sites- everbuying is my favorite..
    ross
    target

sometimes I make my clothes at the thrift shop- such as high waisted shorts and beanie hats and cardigans I usually make by buying something there... hope that I helped :)

you can ALWAYS find something for you even if it seems out of your age group :)

P.S- I always look clearance FIRST!! they can have REALLY nice things because im the type that doesn't like paying more than 20 dollars on one item -unless its shoes or jackets lol...
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Honestly finding a good tailor is the best option. You'll be amazed by what a small hem or a tuck here or there can do. How do you think celebs look so amazing? Great tailoring.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I'm close to your size: 5'2" and 115ish pounds (but curvy). I get almost all my work clothes from The Limited. They just started petite sizing, but their non-petites fit me pretty well too. I usually wear either a 0 or a 2 petite with them. My other go-to place for clothes is Forever 21; although it's known for its "fast fashion" you can find some well-made classic pieces that fit beautifully. Uniqlo's another good option if you have one near you. I do wonder what all the smaller women do if I'm wearing a size 0!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Also, shop in cities if possible. People in cities tend to be slimmer so stores will have smaller sizes in stock. A couple years ago I tried shopping in my suburban hometown and everything was too big!
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I've gotten stuff at Talbots, Casual Corner (both have petite) also can find things at Kohls (I love that place)

My daughter - 5'2" and about 112 - shops at Rue 21 (I've gotten tops there) and even has gotten pants and stuff at Marshalls and TJ Maxx. (she works at Marshalls) - you just have to dig through there.

I hate to spend money on clothes, so lately I've just been digging through the thrift stores. Sometimes I get lucky - especially with the transition........why spend money on something I hope not to wear soon!

Good luck.
  • Whiskeytub
    Whiskeytub Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Alot of sport apparel companies, like Patagonia, make dresses in small sizes for athletic women.
  • Helen71017
    Helen71017 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem. I am currently 5'4" and 112 pounds. When I was 120-125 pounds, I loved the fit of The Limited, Banana Republic, Ann Taylor and J. Crew. Unfortunately these brands are designed to disguise a little extra weight. I have started buying size 0 BCBG when it is on sale (gorgeous dresses). I have also found that juniors clothing fits well.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Target, Charlotte Russe, H&M, Marshalls. Wherever is cheap.
  • jkakmorgan
    jkakmorgan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Forever 21! and Express. Love those stores. And Forever 21 is cheap enough that you can pick up a few trendy items and not feel so bad that they will go out of style the next season.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Another great source for small sizes: Sierra Trading Post! They carry seconds and last year's versions of clothes, as well as remnants. They have a huge variety of super nice clothing, outdoorsy, office-appropriate, casual, and even some fairly fancy things. Because really small women's sizes don't sell as fast as medium/bigger sizes, they usually have a giant selection of stuff in the really small sizes (like XS, 0, 2).

Other online retailers that carry remnants, like Campmor or Backcountry.com, do this too.
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Well, I *used* to be really small (and aiming for that again) and when I was tiny I shopped for work pants at BCBG. They fit great for small hips (but I always had to have the hems tailored)
    BCBG has awesome end of season clearance prices
    Also, European brands tend to be cut trimmer than American. You can get good quality high end Euro brands at places like Saks off 5th, Nordstrom Rack and NM Last Call. (I always shop the clearance racks within the outlet stores and make out better than shopping at Target)
    Japanese clothing is tiny too (from Ebay)
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I call Forever 21 "Forever 31" and continue to shop there ;P
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I'm freaking out a little bit bc I have several events to attend this spring/summer and I cannot find a dress that fits and is affordable. Vanity sizing has royally screwed me. I have dresses that are size 2 from 8+ years ago that fit like a glove and when I go in the same stores (Ann Taylor, JCrew, etc) now the size 0s are too big! I'm 32 years old, 5'3 and 119 lbs. I'm certainly not the skinniest woman around, so where are you finding clothes that fit you?! I'm finding that expensive designer clothes use the traditional sizes , but I can't afford them. Please help!

Why don't you try a consignment store or thrift store to score designer clothes cheaper? Also Ross, TJMAXX, & Marshalls has some designer clothes at cheaper prices.

Also check out www.6pm.com for sone cheaper designer wear.
  • GretaGirl8
    GretaGirl8 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I like anthropologie. they have stores, catalog and online shopping. i find them true to size for the most part. their website allows the posting of reviews so you can get a sense of what other women think regarding size and fit. i find the pricing to be a little on the high side. i try to watch for sales online. they carry many items in petite.