What Machines are good for weight loss at the gym?

Options
13»

Replies

• Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I suggest you forget all the cardio. You burn more calories doing body weight exercises and you get to build muscle (which burns calories all by itself). A good diet combined with heavy lifting is the way to change your body however you want it to look.

Hm...30 minutes of cardio burns more calories than 30 minutes of strength training. However, having more muscle means you'll burn more throughout the day, like you said. Plus there's the afterburn, which I think people exaggerate. I think cardio is great if you like it and have body fat to lose, but it's not necessary. I personally hate cardio, but I do it twice a week around my strength training for the extra calorie burn. You can't lift every day, so it's good to stay active. If you don't have much body fat and just want your body to look better, heavy lifting with little to no cardio is certainly the way to go.

A little cardio is okay, but it is unnecessary for most people.

http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2014/01/do-we-systematically-underestimate.html

"For Mr. Average Joe with a body weight of 80kg, this would mean that his 30 minutes body weight workout doesn't consume 288kcal, but 576kcal and thus way more than 30min of jogging, which should cost him ~400kcal.

Bottom line: I guess I don't have to tell you that these results are very important. Not for you, obviously, because you as a SuppVersity reader know about the fallacy of working out to burn energy, but for all those Average Joes and specifically Janes out there who still believe that you'd lose weight by simply burning all the junk you eat off in the gym.

Cardio "addicts" would yet not be the only ones for whom these results - if they turn out to be substantial - would have huge consequences. The average "expert" on the panels we owe the wise dietary and exercise guidelines to, would probably also have to revise his opinion on the primary of "cardio" exercise for its "superior ability to help shed weight"... unfortunately, my gut tells me that I am the only one who even noticed the (future) publication of this paper in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning."

Interesting study. If this study doesn't change the way people view resistance training vs traditional steady-state cardio, I don't know what will!
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Don't drop the cardio. No, it doesn't help you sculpt or look good. It helps you be physically fit...maybe live longer. Your heart and lungs and everything else needs it.

Your heart and lungs are used a lot when lifting heavy too.

New studies are concluding the more muscle mass you have and keep, the better chance you have to live longer and healthier.

http://consumer.healthday.com/senior-citizen-information-31/senior-citizen-news-778/briefs-emb-3-13-older-adults-muscle-mass-ajm-ucla-release-batch-1184-685863.html

"In other words, the greater your muscle mass, the lower your risk of death," study co-author Dr. Arun Karlamangla, an associate professor in the geriatrics division at University of California, Los Angeles School of Medicine, said in a university news release. "Thus, rather than worrying about weight or body mass index, we should be trying to maximize and maintain muscle mass."