im not losing anything and feel disheartend

Options
13»

Replies

• Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I dont weigh my food tbh as I dont have the time I mostly go off generics but also the packaging it came in but sometimes I might add a few more calories not ofteb though as a feel with somethings that arent on mfp have more calories probably 50 cals or so but not often

Truly, you have to take the time to weigh your food. I grab the tip of a 'small' banana every morning before I workout and I guestimate how much it will weigh before I put it on the scale and I am usually off by 5-10 grams. Not a huge difference, but with calorie dense food and 10 grams here or there over the course of the day and you could be talking lots of additional calories you are not logging.

Protein sources:
    chicken
    lean beef
    pork tenderloin
    beans
    peanut butter
    hummus
    egg whites (do 1 whole and 2 egg whites for your scramble instead of 2 whole)
    tofu
    greek yogurt
    milk (whole)
  • CINXIAH
    CINXIAH Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you are working out a lot, you're probably building up muscle. Muscle weights more that fat. Have you measure yourself? Pounds don't mean much. Measure yourself and compare it to January measurements. Also check your clothes fit. Is your clothing fitting the same not?
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    If you are working out a lot, you're probably building up muscle. Muscle weights more that fat. Have you measure yourself? Pounds don't mean much. Measure yourself and compare it to January measurements. Also check your clothes fit. Is your clothing fitting the same not?

She's not building muscle jumping on a trampoline
  • kdillson70
    Options

A pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle. It's a misconception that makes people feel better about themselves when they say they aren't losing weight. What is true is that 1 lb of muscle occupies less space in your body than 1 lb of fat. The only true test is to take measurement.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I dont weigh my food tbh as I dont have the time I mostly go off generics but also the packaging it came in but sometimes I might add a few more calories not ofteb though as a feel with somethings that arent on mfp have more calories probably 50 cals or so but not often

Yeah, that's what I thought. If you don't actually weigh out your food, you're kind of wasting your time trying to log calories. You most definetly are eating more than you think. Digital scales are like $20 on amazon. It only takes a minute or two to weigh everything. It's a pain in the butt at first, but after a week it becomes second nature.

If you're really committed to this, then you have to make the plunge and weigh everything. Some people can get away without weighing their food, but honestly you don't sound like one of those people. I'm not trying to be mean, just trying to help you out.
  • __freckles__
    Options
    This will pretty much explain what I'm talking about:

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

Disclaimer: Don't read it if you don't have a sense of humor or can't take light cursing. Good luck my dear!
  • leeannsandon
    Options
    By the sounds of things I do need to weigh my food, my cloths are exactly the same fit wise I dont think im under eating but I dont think im over eating and I dont stuff my face
    I am serious about this as im unhappy with the way I look, I ve just finished on my trampette for today but only did an hour but used my kettlebell doing squats and lunges for 20 minutes through advice earlier, im onboard for any advice and take any criticism, I see other peoples success stories and I want that to be me in a few months times, im not looking for miracles or good luck just hard work and a healthy balanced dietary intake I just need to find a medium and get on the right track to where I need to be and want to be a good role model to my three daughters , I just dont want to give the impression to my kids that im weighing food all the time for health and vanity as my eldest is at the age where her own body is changing and you hear to many horror stories on tv about young girls with eating disorders etc
    Everybodies advice on here is very much appreciated and im very greatful I have little experience and lack knowledge with this sort of stuff
  • __freckles__
    Options
    By the sounds of things I do need to weigh my food, my cloths are exactly the same fit wise I dont think im under eating but I dont think im over eating and I dont stuff my face
    I am serious about this as im unhappy with the way I look, I ve just finished on my trampette for today but only did an hour but used my kettlebell doing squats and lunges for 20 minutes through advice earlier, im onboard for any advice and take any criticism, I see other peoples success stories and I want that to be me in a few months times, im not looking for miracles or good luck just hard work and a healthy balanced dietary intake I just need to find a medium and get on the right track to where I need to be and want to be a good role model to my three daughters , I just dont want to give the impression to my kids that im weighing food all the time for health and vanity as my eldest is at the age where her own body is changing and you hear to many horror stories on tv about young girls with eating disorders etc
    Everybodies advice on here is very much appreciated and im very greatful I have little experience and lack knowledge with this sort of stuff

That is a valid concern. People automatically assume I have an eating disorder or that I'm just crazy when they find out that I weigh my food. Although the later assumption is pretty much true :tongue:, I try to educate them about the reasons why I'm doing it. Personally, I'm weighing my food in order to ensure I'm eating enough - i.e. I'm trying to build muscle and need to be eating in a calorie surplus.

Be open and honest with your daughters. Make sure they know you are eating lots of healthy food and not restricting anything. You can eat all the foods you ate before, just weigh them and make sure they fit into your calorie allotment for the day.

You can do this girl!
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    My daughter (10) asked me why I was weighing my food - I told her it is because I wasn't sure what an actual serving size of chicken looked like, I always guessed in the past. I always preach serving size and I haven't been practicing what I've been saying so I thought I would start..

I always show my kids what a serving size is on the box when we are putting school snacks together for school.
  • November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I want to hopefully get down to 115/120lbs when I put weight on it really shows because of being so short I currently a uk size 12 but only want to be a healthy size 10

102 isn't a size 10. I'm 117 and a size 8, at that height.
  • f1redshoes
    Options
    I want to hopefully get down to 115/120lbs when I put weight on it really shows because of being so short I currently a uk size 12 but only want to be a healthy size 10
    102 isn't a size 10. I'm 117 and a size 8, at that height.
    I'm 102 at that height. Even with a reasonable amount of fat left (I'm working on less fat/more muscle so may end up smaller) that's a size 6 - and in my case, with long legs and a really short body, it's a size 4 on the top!
  • leeannsandon
    Options
    I dont want to get down to 102 I think my ticker has gone wrong somewhere down the line as it says I want to lose 28lbs which isnt true but I dont know how to correct it
    My eldest is 10 and if I can educate myself I can educate her but its a learning curve for me, im off to asda tomorrow to get some food scales and il wait for my dumbbells to be delivered this weekend
    Does anybody have any advance on the strength training? Will the 30 day shred be a good starter as I have no idea with weights and strength? And how long do I do it for and do I still do cardio?
  • 007sweetpea
    007sweetpea Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree with a number of your replies. It seems like you are not eating enough food and that will cause you to not loose weight because the body goes into starvation mode. It's not just about eating the right food but eating the right quantity as well. I have also found if I get the quantity and quality right I still need to make sure I drink enough water as well.
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I've been working on strength training recently. I currently use Leslie Sansone's "Walk it off in 30 days" DVD, the "Firm 30" section. There's a cardio part as well, but I don't use that.

www.nerdfitness.com has good articles on using your body weight to strength train.