Tips for thickening smoothies?

Options
I've been making smoothies lately, and want ways to thicken them other than having a banana in it as this seems to be the only thing that makes it thicker but would like to be able to make without them due to the high cal/card content of them and so can try different flavors. Any tips?

Replies

• red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Try vanilla greek yogurt. Delish.
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    mango
  • johnthefatman
    Options
    I use low fat yoghurt and frozen berry fruit straight from the freezer - get the proportions right and it comes out like soft ice cream ..
  • ischmelle
    ischmelle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds weird, but either avocado or dates will thicken smoothies without adding much taste. Avo might not be the best bet if you are trying to cut calories thought. You could also just throw in plain ice cubes. The chopped ice will make it thicker.
  • goatskinlegs
    goatskinlegs Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Avocado, and Yogurt. I agree with everyone else above work great, they will off set your calories a bit higher, but like I try to tell everyone it's not always about the calories it's what you get from your calories. Yogurt has cultures and enzymes that help aid in digestion as well as calcium that help keep your bones, teeth, fingernails and hair extra healthy (and not falling out from malnourishment) Avocado, on the other hand, is one of natures superfoods, while being full of vitamins, and plant-based lean proteins, it also has mono and poly unsaturated fats which research shows can help maintain a healthy weight and break down unhealthy saturated fats, as well as helping to eliminating bloat and water retention. But if you are truly a stickler on the calories a happy handful of ice and a few pulses on the blender will add thickness for a few minutes with no calorie increase. Good luck :)
  • amyfly
    amyfly Posts: 137
    Options
    I agree with Goatskinlegs. I started adding a little avocado to my smoothies a few months ago - it helps keep me full longer and hasn't affected (effected? - I never know which one is right) my weight loss at all - if anything I seemed to be losing weight faster.
  • FreshPaint
    Options
    Oatbran
  • goatskinlegs
    goatskinlegs Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I agree with Goatskinlegs. I started adding a little avocado to my smoothies a few months ago - it helps keep me full longer and hasn't affected (effected? - I never know which one is right) my weight loss at all - if anything I seemed to be losing weight faster.

You probably are losing faster because of the Avocado. Cashews are good for that too, another one of those awesome superfoods. The reason you stay feeling full longer is because nutrient-dense foods offer your body more than just surface calories, so your body processes them longer getting more of what it needs. Unlike calorie-dense low nutrient foods like enriched flours, and High Fructose Corn Death. Which are in almost everything including "healthy" foods. So keep it up, and look into more superfoods. We are what we eat :)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

You probably are losing faster because of the Avocado. Cashews are good for that too, another one of those awesome superfoods. The reason you stay feeling full longer is because nutrient-dense foods offer your body more than just surface calories, so your body processes them longer getting more of what it needs. Unlike calorie-dense low nutrient foods like enriched flours, and High Fructose Corn Death. Which are in almost everything including "healthy" foods. So keep it up, and look into more superfoods. We are what we eat :)

High Fructose Corn Death:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I saw a commercial trying to convince me it is no different than cane sugar. Uh OK, but I don't need cane sugar in my foods EITHER thankyouverymuch. I am amazed when I see this in everything.
  • hozik
    hozik Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    You could also try a spoonful of ground flaxseeds-a decent source of fiber and omega 3's-and a tablespoon only has about 30 cals. Creamy nutbutters are also great in smoothies-try a tablespoon of creamy peanut butter-especially good with cocoa powder mixed in:tongue:
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I blend in 1/4cup of prepared plain oatmeal with greek yogurt and some frozen fruit or some organic apple butter. Another thing I recently discovered was the Jell-O pudding snack cups - sugar free. They are 60 calories and make that protein shake taste like a decedant cheat meal.
  • acmecoyote42
    Options
    I go the frozen berry route, and with a tablespoon of coca powder, it comes out really sinful :) splurge on a really good cocoa powder, too. it's worth the extra fat calories. Penzey's has a marvelous high fat dutch process cocoa powder that is just stupid good and is pretty harmless in small amounts (no, i don't work there!).
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    psyllium husks work too, blend it in and let it sit for 1-2 minutes. super cheap, no flavour and great fiber.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I have been making the Green monster smoothies using almond mild and spinach with frozen fruit I freeze, between the frozen fruit and some ice cubes it great, but I love the banana in it.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I mix 1 scoop of chia seeds in cold water and let that thicken for 5 min. then shake it in my protein shake in the morning. It is packed with vitamins, protein, omega-3 and a ton of other nutrients
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I saw a commercial trying to convince me it is no different than cane sugar. Uh OK, but I don't need cane sugar in my foods EITHER thankyouverymuch. I am amazed when I see this in everything.

Um... what? How did they twist the facts for that one?!

I, too, agree with goatskinlegs et al... bananas really aren't too bad for you, and avocados are super good for you! I'm intrigued by the oat bran idea... maybe that would up the fiber, too?
  • mrslaxton
    mrslaxton Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I use frozen berries and low fat yogurt. It turns out really thick.
  • sailormars28
    Options
    I've actually just started juicing and making smoothies. I want some of the smoothies I make to replace a meal. Like for breakfast and my two snack throughout the day. So I figured if my smoothies have fruits or veggies in it instead of having half of a sandwich or just nothing. I'm trying to turn over a new leaf on my eating. I actually found a website that gave me some good smoothie making advice. It said to thicken a smoothie you can add peanut butter, 1-2 tbs of flour or cornstarch, or silken tofu. So far I found that the silken tofu works very well. I just tried a smoothie with peanut butter, but I fear that will only work with some recipes not all recipes. That is what I am looking for a thickener to work with all of my fruit and veggie smoothie recipes.
  • 57rainbows
    57rainbows Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Whatever fruits you're already putting in it, be sure and freeze the night before. Your smoothie will come out thicker and stay cold longer!

If you're already using frozen fruits, the greek yoghurt is a good idea. I just use regular (plain) yoghurt, fresh fruit (not frozen), a bit of milk, and a few ice cubes, and I'm happy with the texture.
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I use a dollop of low fat natural yogurt