Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Tips for thickening smoothies?

2»

Replies

• A wee bit of Xanthan gum is all you need!
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    ice cream. ;^)
  • morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    you could also try silken tofu
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    How about chia seeds? Anyone tried adding those in their protein drinks?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Bananas aren't that high in calories. No more than avocados that everyone is suggesting
  • ninjakowski
    ninjakowski Posts: 158
    I use greek yoghurt and a splash of water instead of milk. Frozen fruit is also a great way to make a smoothie thicker - I buy frozen berries anyway as they are cheaper than fresh, but you can freeze anything, banana, mangoes etc.
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    I only use fruits and ice. I never add anything else to mine, but I like the "slushie" texture better.
  • i know this sounds weird but i have tried recipes that use fat free cottage cheese to thicken smoothies. it tasted pretty good!
    http://dashingdish.com/recipe/key-lime-pie-protein-shake/
  • Ladysquire
    Ladysquire Posts: 61 Member
    I use psyllium husk to thicken mine up. Keeps me fuller for longer too. I like the avocado idea....might give that a go
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Check out the Dashing Dish website. All her's are really thick and yummy !
  • JenCatwalk
    JenCatwalk Posts: 285 Member
    What thickens my smoothies up is freezing my fruit and then adding. That and yogurt. Also the less water you add the better.
  • gabbylab
    gabbylab Posts: 146

Most of my smoothies start out with a TBS of chia seeds, 1/4 cup of unsweetened almond milk and 2 TBS of Chobani or Fage, whatever I have, add fruit and spinach. I get a really thick smoothie out of these ingredients.
  • iluvwdw
    iluvwdw Posts: 287 Member
    Chia seeds /and/or ground flax seed. The flax will def thicken it up, I use 1 tbsp of flax seed with 3 tbsp of water in place of eggs in my pancakes since I can't have eggs.
  • squiggyflop
    squiggyflop Posts: 148 Member
    Agar jelly. Lots of fiber, and no calories. Makes smoothies really creamy and it mimics the mouth feel of fat so you can use nonfat yogurts
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member

Most of my smoothies start out with a TBS of chia seeds, 1/4 cup of unsweetened almond milk and 2 TBS of Chobani or Fage, whatever I have, add fruit and spinach. I get a really thick smoothie out of these ingredients.

Right now I use a tsp of psyllium husk to "thicken" my shake but it isn't that thickening. Perhaps I should try chia seeds instead!
  • Diyamommy
    Diyamommy Posts: 56
    try greenthickies.com. She uses oatmeal to thicken her smoothies.
  • SkinnyMozza
    SkinnyMozza Posts: 66 Member
    xantham gum?
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    I use 1/4 scoop of protein powder...the vanilla flavor so it goes with the yogurt. :) It thickened it up and I'm still full two hours later! :)
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Dry Oats. I usually use 1/4 cup of rolled oats in mine. When blended really well, you cant even tell its in there.