Moderation

Options
124»

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Let's see - Oreo 100 calorie packs with lunch. Have this every so often because I have the I wants and it's right there for only 100 calories. I couldn't buy this same 100 calorie packs for use at home, say, a box of 10 packs because they'd all be eaten within the hour. Why? I don't know. If I could figure this out, I wouldn't need to lose weight. *shrugs*. Boredom, maybe

DQ blizzard: have to get out of the house to get one, or get just the blizzard on my way home. This ones more of a planned treat also because I want it, and because 370 calories isn't that much to me.

Eating treats when coworkers bring it: because it doesn't happen that often and the batch is often gone quickly.

Make a single serving of the sweet, like a mug coffee cake or a single serve brownie. The act of making the food item itself is soothing - the aroma during prep offers a portion of the satisfaction I would overall derive from eating it. Having to make the item creates anywhere from 10 - 30 minutes of separation between craving and eating and this helps control the frequency of this indulgement. (Indulgement isn't a word? What am I supposed to say there?! I must be confusing it with something else. Indulgence!!! That's the word :laugh: )
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    In a recent thread, the question of moderation was debated. The following are some techniques that people might use to control their consumption of a specific food (I will use Doritos as an example):

* Buying a large bag of Doritos and having a single serving snack each night (after meeting macro and micro targets)
    * Buying a box of single serving bags of Doritos and eating one as a snack each night
    * Buying a single serving bag as a part of lunch every Friday
    * Not eating Doritos unless they are offered at a party and then enjoying a portion or two
    * "Saving up" calories for a month and then splurging on four or five portions at a time
    * Avoiding Doritos all together

Which of these examples would you include in your definition of moderation and why?

Well Doritos are not a trigger food for me but if there was a bag in the house I would eat it anyway so I pretty much don't buy any snack foods. There is no such thing as moderation in my vocabulary as evidenced by a block of Lindt Orange Intense chocolate which lasted approximately 3 hours in my fridge despite all the good intention of allowing myself one square each night after dinner :blushing: Its just easier for me not to have it in the house.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I avoid Doritos altogether.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    You already know what my answer is :bigsmile: and I appreciate you using Doritos as the example.

To answer your question, though, I consider any pattern of behaviour which allows you to consume a food you enjoy regularly without it impacting your health or overall nutrition in a negative way to be moderation... so, I guess my answer would be "all of the above".

That being said, if by "single serving bag" you mean those ridiculous little 1$ bags, those are an affront to the noble name of Doritos. Eating one of those when I want Doritos would be the IIFYM equivalent of eating cauliflower pizza when you want pizza.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I would rather go longer periods of time without something and then indulge as my form of moderation, for things that just are nowhere near the same made with substitutions.

I do like to make the substitution recipes that are often scorned here, not to avoid "bad foods" but as more enjoyable ways to try and hit my nutrient needs on a regular basis. The nutrient need (almost entirely protein, really) is primary with the taste secondary. Brownies are a huge weakness. Made with gluten free flour, I could eat a whole pan. Made with a legume base, I am satisfied with one serving and do enjoy the taste. I also like things like frozen bananas blended with protein powder and powdered peanut butter. No, it's not ice cream, but for 200 calories, I can get around 15 grams of protein. (Not amazing, but I haven't found a vegan ice cream commercially that will offer that much protein.)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Great addition. I'll sub too, sometimes. For example, tootsie rolls can meet chocolate cravings and don't lead to additional need the way milk chocolate can.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Great addition. I'll sub too, sometimes. For example, tootsie rolls can meet chocolate cravings and don't lead to additional need the way milk chocolate can.

That, sir, is blasphemy!

Tootsie rolls will NEVER be an acceptable replacement for milk chocolate! :noway: :mad:
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Moderation is just what they tell you to keep you coming back for their addictive crap.

This is also how certain individuals set themselves up for the all but unavoidable binge that comes post severe restriction. Then they call it an "addiction" and thus begins the cycle.

I moderate by eating mostly whole real food at a slight deficit during the week which leaves me enough flexibility to eat what I like on the weekends.

BINGO! Only I tend to fit my treats in daily. ;)
  • angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I would say (quoting a friend) 'moderation in all things, including moderation'!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    For me, not eating them regularly and then buying a single serving bag when the mood strikes would be #1 option.

These would also fit my definition of moderation:
    * Buying a large bag of Doritos and having a single serving snack each night (after meeting macro and micro targets)
    * Buying a box of single serving bags of Doritos and eating one as a snack each night
    * Not eating Doritos unless they are offered at a party and then enjoying a portion or two

These two are the only ones that don't, to my mind, really fit the definition:
    * "Saving up" calories for a month and then splurging on four or five portions at a time
  • likitisplit
    Options

That, sir, is blasphemy!

Tootsie rolls will NEVER be an acceptable replacement for milk chocolate! :noway: :mad:

To tell the truth, I prefer to eat dark chocolate - but sometimes a substitution is a good alternative to going over calories/not having anything at all. I'm not going to argue the impossible. But I don't want to eliminate any moderation strategies.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    For me, not eating them regularly and then buying a single serving bag when the mood strikes would be #1 option.

These would also fit my definition of moderation:

These two are the only ones that don't, to my mind, really fit the definition:

I can see why avoidance isn't moderation. But why not a planned "cheat" or tracked splurge?

ETA: I seriously want to hear your reasoning. I included those two choices BECAUSE I consider them on the edge of my personal definition.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    In a recent thread, the question of moderation was debated. The following are some techniques that people might use to control their consumption of a specific food (I will use Doritos as an example):

Which of these examples would you include in your definition of moderation and why?

Excuse me, but considering the fat and salt content, whatever possessed you to think that Doritos and moderation have anything in common?
  • likitisplit
    Options

Excuse me, but considering the fat and salt content, whatever possessed you to think that Doritos and moderation have anything in common?

So you feel that only abstinence is appropriate for Doritos?