Misconceptions You Had as a Child

Options
Rivers2k
Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
Misconceptions You Had as a Child.....

I thought if you stuck a really fat person with a pin they would pop like a balloon. Caused a very embarrassing moment for my Dad one time. I said out loud "look dad that women is going to pop," I was convinced she was going to go at any moment.

I thought if you had the choice to eat anything why would anyone eat anything other than pizza.

I thought cars could fly if you hit a jump fast enough

Wonder why people didn't have machine guns strapped to the top of their cars like on GI Joe.

I was afraid to stay under water to long in a pool because I thought the pool cover came out of the sides of the pool, by pushing a button or something and I would get trapped under.

When driving in the car at night I thought the moon and stars were moving with us.

I thought the American flag was NY's flag, There is NY City, NY State, Only made sense the country was called NY. My cousins grew up in the country of Maine.

Oh yeah and the ongoing fight with my cousin "girls can't be bosses" lol

Two flavors of soft serve ice cream Chocolate and Plain. Milk is white so I thought vanilla was flavorless, why would anyone get plain. I got chocolate every time until strawberry came out.

Replies

• favoritenut
    favoritenut Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    that "tomorrow" was actually a day of the week

a sheet or a blanket would protect you from monsters under your bed or in your closet

when you closed your eyes, no one could see you
  • Rivers2k
    Options

a sheet or a blanket would protect you from monsters under your bed or in your closet

Of course the blanket can protect you! I had one that was better than the others cause I could see through it and the monsters couldn't see me.
  • FoxBean
    FoxBean Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I was really young, thought the sun and the moon were the same at one point, until I saw both at once. My mind was blown.
  • twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    That being on fire was going to be a common occurrence when I was an adult.

The only way to get houses and furnishings was to win them on game shows

I couldn't see anyone else breathing so I thought i was the only one who did it, so I'd try to do it as secretly as possible.
  • FoxBean
    Options
    I was really young, thought the sun and the moon were the same at one point, until I saw both at once. My mind was blown.

I thought the sun burnt out like a candle at night and turned into the moon haha
  • TravelinChiGal
    TravelinChiGal Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Santa was real...

There - I said it.

1529060.png
  • Crateria_
    Crateria_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    That if I crossed my eyes it would stay that way. It was sure to happen as well if someone smacked me in the back of the head while doing so.
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    Lol!

One misconception that came to mind was courtesy of my puritan mother. I was told that unmarried people are unable to have children. Imagine how embarrassed I was when in 4th grade, one of my classmates said her older sister was pregnant. I of course asked who her husband was. I was told she wasn't married and I of course said it was impossible to be pregnant. The whole class completely lost it. It took several years for that incident to be forgotten by others. Thanks mom!
  • Rivers2k
    Options
    That being on fire was going to be a common occurrence when I was an adult.

HAHAHAHA Yes I remember this and quick sand is everywhere.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    If you ate a watermelon seed a watermelon would grow in your belly
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    My son used to say: mom, can we go to "a theater near you"?
  • favoritenut
    Options
    My brother convinced me that the seeds in rye bread were bugs. He could be a real jag off sometimes.

oh yes, and Tapioca pudding, it was fish eyes in there, my Mom would tell me that so she could eat mine...
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    That my face really could get stuck like "that"
  • SloRose
    SloRose Posts: 67
    Options
    No joke, I thought Santa and Jesus were best friends and they lived in the moon together.

I also thought baby's came out of your stomach

I believed in the tooth fairy until like 5th grade.

I too thought cars could fly if they jump off curbs hard enough.
  • Lisacare
    Lisacare Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My oldest daughter thought girls didn't poop and was devisated that she did :frown:

a really mean neighbor told her this!
  • favoritenut
    Options

Of course the blanket can protect you! I had one that was better than the others cause I could see through it and the monsters couldn't see me.

When I watch scary movies still, I still think my blanket does this, no idea why, but I just feel safe under covers.
  • SloRose
    SloRose Posts: 67
    Options
    My son used to say: mom, can we go to "a theater near you"?

Hahahahaha that is the cutest thing ever!
  • FoxBean
    Options
    My brother convinced me that the seeds in rye bread were bugs. He could be a real jag off sometimes.

oh yes, and Tapioca pudding, it was fish eyes in there, my Mom would tell me that so she could eat mine...

I was eating a brownie last night and my daughter wanted some, thought it was cake..I told her it was poop hahaha. Terrible, but it worked.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    That growing up was a good thing, that the future was a happy and bright place.