Misconceptions You Had as a Child

Options

Replies

• fitbrit19
    fitbrit19 Posts: 55
    Options
    I was watching the news as a kid with my parents and heard a story about a serial killer in our area. So I heard CEREAL, like my favorite breakfast item, and thought that someone was killing people who ate cereal. I was terrified and devastated :embarassed:
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    The nightly news terrified me. I thought everything that was happening was happening in my neighborhood. Never did see the war torn areas though.
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I used to think that when I closed my eyes and went to sleep that it would just be morning when I opened them again. I didn't know there were hours of nighttime and sleeping in between.
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I grew up in a small town in WV that wasn't very diverse and thought all black people were bald because the black NBA players I saw on TV were bald. My mind was blown when I learned otherwise.

I thought women could only get pregnant if they were on their period. This comes from the fact that many people in my neighborhood bred their hunting dogs and when females went into heat that meant they could breed soon.

My older brother convinced me that the only way to keep monsters from getting me at night was to line the bed with all of my stuffed animals. I did this for a long time.

Hanging your foot off the bed meant a monster would grab it and pull you under the bed.

When I would hear of someone getting raped on the news or Lifetime (my mom watch a lot of Lifetime movies), I thought they were being RAKED. Like, I imagined someone was pushing them down and dragging a rake over them.

I thought all TV shows were real life and I always wanted to call the characters to give them advice on what they should and shouldn't do with their life.

I thought French kissing was kissing someone on the cheek and wiggling your head back and forth. Anyone who asked me to kiss them on the cheek always got French kissed.
  • Rivers2k
    Options
    I used to think cats were for girls and dogs were for boys.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    When I'd try to go into my parents' room at night but their door was locked,I thought they were just extra tired that night and didn't want us to wake them. Yeah. Right...
  • Rivers2k
    Options

I thought French kissing was kissing someone on the cheek and wiggling your head back and forth. Anyone who asked me to kiss them on the cheek always got French kissed.

Seems from this thread girls used to think of french kissing allot more than boys did. Now as adults I think it is the other way around LOL.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options

I used to think cars were for girls and trucks were for boys.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    That holding hands would get you pregnant...... I was like 9. My little boyfriend grabbed my hand before I had the chance to resist. I spent the next month or so terrified. Then when I didn't get pregnant I figured it wasn't true :ohwell:

That if a cop followed you for more than three miles they couldn't pull you over -- it would be entrapment at that point. Seriously glad I didn't test THAT theory.:noway:
  • pfgaytriot
    Options

I used to think cars were for girls and trucks were for boys.

I used to think that only women smoked, despite the fact that my dad smoked. I don't ever remember thinking that my dad was a woman, so I have no clue where this came from.
  • csontos
    csontos Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    There's no pretty way of saying this, but I thought having sex meant that you ate the other person's poo and pee.

Thank god I never said that out loud to anybody... and thank god for the internet for correcting that mistake.
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Santa was real...

There - I said it.

1529060.png

Whatcha talking about Willis?!?!?!
  • Rivers2k
    Options
    I was playing in a quarry ( I know dangerous) and thought I was filthy rich cause I found slate with fools gold on it and it had marble running through it. AS I carried it all home I had dreams I would meet the president cause I was the youngest gold miner. Yeah I was about 10 :embarassed:
  • ooBombshellBeautyoo
    ooBombshellBeautyoo Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    That life was easy!
  • Rivers2k
    Options
    There's no pretty way of saying this, but I thought having sex meant that you ate the other person's poo and pee.

Thank god I never said that out loud to anybody... and thank god for the internet for correcting that mistake.

Wow I thought sex was just laying on top of each other clothes or not. yours is worse hahahah
  • junebaby21
    junebaby21 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I thought Independence Day (USA) was actually called "the 4th of July". I asked my teacher once when "the 4th of July" was.
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I thought I was riding thru the moe-jave(rhyme with dave) desert on the way to California. My Pops still likes to tell that one 34 years later. Heavy 10 year old Georgia accent, "Look, we're in the moe-jave desert!"
  • pfgaytriot
    Options
    That when you turned 20 you stopped getting zits.
  • Left4Good
    Left4Good Posts: 304
    Options
    An earthquake would release demons from underground
    That all movies i saw were happening in real life
    And alot more that are too embarrassing to put here xD
    tumblr_mc79kthorZ1riiw1do1_500.jpg
  • HedgeHugs
    HedgeHugs Posts: 80
    Options
    Lol!

One misconception that came to mind was courtesy of my puritan mother. I was told that unmarried people are unable to have children. Imagine how embarrassed I was when in 4th grade, one of my classmates said her older sister was pregnant. I of course asked who her husband was. I was told she wasn't married and I of course said it was impossible to be pregnant. The whole class completely lost it. It took several years for that incident to be forgotten by others. Thanks mom!

OMG! That exact thing happened to me! I thought that you can't have children if you weren't married xD LOL