What do you miss the most?

Options

Replies

• lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    For those who have been working hard towards their goals, and who have had to give stuff up and make lifestyle changes, one question:

WHAT DO YOU MISS THE MOST?

Chocolate cake? Twinkies? Potato Chips and Dip?

I'll start. For me, I didn't miss the unhealthy food as much as I miss the cigarettes. I stopped smoking, which is a good thing. But I won't lie. I still crave them at least a few times a day. Even after a month of cold turkey.

I've not really given anything up specifically so I don't really miss anything. I suppose I just plain miss eating without thinking. Just being able to munch away without the constant calculator going off in my head. But I don't miss the weight! So that is the sacrifice I will always have to make.
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I want to take this time to put the dieting aside for a second, and just say congratulations to all my fellow quiters in this topic. I'm proud of all of you.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Pigging out and eating lots of chocolate without thinking about what I'm eating. That sums it up. Making better decisions of course and eating food in moderation ????
  • Slaintegrl
    Slaintegrl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    For those who have been working hard towards their goals, and who have had to give stuff up and make lifestyle changes, one question:

WHAT DO YOU MISS THE MOST?

Chocolate cake? Twinkies? Potato Chips and Dip?

I'll start. For me, I didn't miss the unhealthy food as much as I miss the cigarettes. I stopped smoking, which is a good thing. But I won't lie. I still crave them at least a few times a day. Even after a month of cold turkey.

Cake, ice cream and cookies! And before everybody starts ragging on me about "everything in moderation" I'm diabetic and have to be very careful about sweet treats.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I haven't given anything up, but I do miss getting to eat anything I wanted whenever I wanted to eat it.

For example, at one of our favorite places to go eat, we'd get an appetizer, the entrée, and take some dessert home. It turns out that the calorie count of my usual is about 3,625! So now I have to make some adjustments. :wink:
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    ignorance was bliss. (until i looked in the mirror) really though, i miss not having to think about it all day. i'm trying to think of my calories as a budget, and i'm really good at budgeting and doing things on the cheap, so i'm trying to apply that to my calorie budget. it's helping a "little" i find myself looking at a pathetically small portion of something or other and thinking how i could have x, y AND z for those calories. i suppose its an improvement.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Now that I don't gorge on food and I weigh less, alcohol hits me way too fast! I miss being able to "hang with the boys" when it comes to drinking. Total light weight now.

ETA: It doesn't help that I tend to drink on an empty stomach now because I save my calories for shots instead of spending them on food!
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    i miss being ignorant to calories. LOL.

That's the big one for me too. I haven't quit any food entirely, just cut back and I make better choices. Eating without thinking about whether the calories fit into my day has a great freedom to it, but it's why I was steadily gaining weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I haven't really had to give anything up....though I have all but given up sodas and potato chips...just kinda happened over the course of the last 18 months. That said, i do miss just mindlessly sitting around and eating. I've been maintaining for about a year and didn't log much during that year but rather focused on being mindful about what I was doing and what I was eating. Definitely a good exercise, but yeah...I miss just sitting on the couch with an entire bag of tortilla chips and a big bowl of Sadie's salsa and just going to town and then taking a nap afterwards.
  • rissa876
    rissa876 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I miss wearing smaller sizes in clothes and eating what ever I wanted without thinking about it. Those days are long gone lol.
  • auntyfred
    auntyfred Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Actual food items I don't miss, I eat anything I want just work it into my calorie allowance.
    What I miss most is the ease of cooking a meal and not thinking about what I put in there or how much goes on my plate.
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Chipotle Chicken Pasta from The Cheesecake Factory.

1,300 calories of delectable awesome.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I now live by moderation and eat what I want as long as I stay in my calorie range.

THIS^^

I won't stop eating what I love to eat.

I just am more conscious of it.

Why limit yourself? If you want to lose weight & keep it off ... limits will not help.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I miss randomly deciding to get a frou-frou coffee drink whenever I wanted. Now if I want a white chocolate mocha I have to figure out how to afford the 350 calories (I do half syrup) into my calories for the day. Of course the sugar and caffeine hit me much harder now that I eat better the majority of the time. So I don't really miss dealing with the crash part of that cycle.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I don't realllllly miss anything because I still eat whatever I want, just less of it, not as often, etc. BUT...for the sake of conversation, I'll admit that yes I miss just eating without even thinking about how many calories are in the food, just enjoying the taste. Thinking, "OH a thick crust pizza with chicken, spinach, and mushrooms and tons of cheese sounds good...I'll order one for dinner". That probably won't ever be part of my life again. I mean yes I could eat that, and log it, and move on...but I am pretty sure that I'll never just eat 'til I am almost uncomfortably full without a care in the world like I once did.

I don't really miss it...usually.

Oh and Starbucks ~ just pure mocha yumminess in hot liquid form on a cold day, or a tall frosty frappucino in the summertime. Not that great...if it were, I'd still make it fit into my calories. But I miss it once in awhile.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    PS: Am I the only ex-smoker who doesn't miss it?

I miss being able to eat a FULL portion of foods instead of just a few bites.. The other day I had 10 nachos - That's just cruel! I'd honestly rather just not eat certain things instead of trying to 'fit it in' Of course I COULD..but some things just aren't worth it.

As far as smoking goes..I quit 6+ years ago and I don't miss it either ;)
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I don't miss a d%mn thing!
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I am sick. I miss loads of comfort food. That's about it, otherwise I miss nothing of my past unhealthy lifestyle.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Chinese food and chocolate and peanut butter combos! White Russians and piña coladas

Yeah, Chinese Food. I used to eat 1400 calories at a time. That's almost a whole day for me now. For those of you that say eat what you can within moderation, I cant do it when it comes to paradise shrimp, almond chicken, Cantonese chow mien.
    Way to yummy not to eat till I cant eat any more so I just stay away.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't miss anything specific, because I'm not depriving myself, but what I miss is the whole 'going to the restaurant and eat whatever I want' thing... if it makes sense. I love eating out, and sometimes it's just frustrating not to be able to order what I really want.