Tired of being skinny, I want to be fit!

Options
Hello!
So I've been in maintenance for quite some time now, maybe since December? And I've found myself getting pretty bored lately, and I think it's because this time last year my goal was to lose weight but now I don't have a goal. Well wit the weather getting nicer I'm finding myself more motivated to get in shape for some reason.

I would love to be the girl with abs, and I know that's going to take a lot of hard work so I need some help.
Any advice for a newbie who honestly has no idea where to begin?

Replies

• pointeballerina
    Options
    Try exercises such as aerobics, they help you develop abs and also give you a nice muscular body but that's also lean! :)
  • bjg2993
    bjg2993 Posts: 107
    Options
    I personally love yoga, I do at least 15 minutes per day. People assume because it's such a low impact exercise it isn't much good, but I noticed a difference in muscle in a few days. Definitely worth looking at doing daily as it's easy to fit into schedules and all you need is a yoga mat.
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Lift weights! You won't get bulky like a guy, but you'll tone and get stronger.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    ^^this

Pick up lots of heavy stuff, build a base (look into Jamie easons life fit, new rules of lifting for women or stronglifts for beginners routines) maybe gain some weight. Then watch your nutrition and lose fat as abs are made in the kitchen
  • Samby_v1
    Samby_v1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    ^^this

Pick up lots of heavy stuff, build a base (look into Jamie easons life fit, new rules of lifting for women or stronglifts for beginners routines) maybe gain some weight. Then watch your nutrition and lose fat as abs are made in the kitchen

^^^^ Listen to the wise women!
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Simple answer.... Lift!!!
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I think the best advice is find an activity you like, and be consistent.

"abs" are muscle, but they are hard to really develop. They become visible when you lose body fat - in other words, lifting "heavy" abs won't make them visible if they are under a substantial layer of fat.

I know lots of people (esp. women) that hate working out indoors, especially the gym. So from a few friends that previously hated "working out" about half desisted after a couple of months. One took cross-country running. Another started beach volleyball, and the most funny one did orienteering. They all are notably fitter than they were, simply because they stuck at it. Another did ultimate frisbee and got pretty serious at it, but rolled an ankle and had to stop 4 weeks. Boo.

Try lots of things; find something you like (heck, even ballroom dancing is active) and stick at it.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    ^^this

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    ^^this

The only caveat I would add is that some people do have underdeveloped cores - think extremely lean women who still don't have abs.

So, keep your core tight when you squat and deadlift to encourage some development there :D
  • PrincessaParris
    Options
    Eat an extra 3,500 calories a week. But eat things that make u fain healthy weight (whole wheat, avocado, whole milk, bananas, REAL peanut butter, etc.) When you exercise make sure to use a lot of resistence and heavy weights and less reps. I was 111lbs in January and am now 117. Make sure not to over work your muscles as they will get smaller. Hope this helps
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Heavy weight lifting.

Cardio helps with endurance and helps, but heavy lifting tones and builds muscles over time.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Hit the weights, as everyone else has already suggested, and maybe add in some HIIT or boxing...boxing is a brilliant all round workout and went very well as a compliment to my weights.
  • nancynb1
    nancynb1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Got to agree with most here, weight training is your best bet! I did probably 100 days of Chalean Extreme, and the results that I got from it was AMAZING!!!! Weight training is my new addiction!
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Definately weight training plus I would second the yoga as well. That **** is hard! Or pole dancing if you like that sort of thing. It sure takes some strong core muscles to be able to hold your own bodyweight horizontally from a pole or in a sustained position for any length of time. Add boxing and some sort of cardio as well to lose fat and mix it up a bit. As long as it is something you enjoy and can sustain for the amount of time it takes to build those muscles.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Learn to love the barbell and pizza pie.
  • sanderdejonge
    sanderdejonge Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Deny everything everyone has said here - go swimming. :bigsmile:
  • sanderdejonge
    sanderdejonge Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Deny everything everyone has said here - go swimming. :bigsmile:
    No
    Why wouldn't she? Swimming is considered the best sport there is. And definitely more fun than fitness. I can tell; I do both.