Tired of being skinny, I want to be fit!

Options

Replies

• SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Deny everything everyone has said here - go swimming. :bigsmile:
    No
    Why wouldn't she? Swimming is considered the best sport there is. And definitely more fun than fitness. I can tell; I do both.

Swimming is a good option for fitness, but many swimmers also incorporate resistance training etc on non-swim days (Land training) for the reasons outlined above. I am an ex-county standard swimmer myself.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    find something you love - and try to mix it up with a little cardio, some weights/resistance, something social and maybe something a little competitive

My mix so far is: swimming, pilates, static bike and hiking on the weekend (this suits me - and is not intended as a recommendation - I can't do high impact and have serious spinal damage so core strength and stability, with low impact are key for my rehab)

so why not start by trying out a few local groups and classes? both to try the activity and to decide whether you could see yourself spending more time with those folks - then pick one or two to try for a few months - group activities may not suit you - but you won't know 'till you try a few and some people find it really motivational and supportive

good luck
  • sanderdejonge
    sanderdejonge Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    No
    Why wouldn't she? Swimming is considered the best sport there is. And definitely more fun than fitness. I can tell; I do both.

Swimming is a good option for fitness, but many swimmers also incorporate resistance training etc on non-swim days (Land training) for the reasons outlined above. I am an ex-county standard swimmer myself.

Yes of course! I do that myself, too.
    Bad translation on my part perhaps, in Dutch we mean by fitness both weight and cardio training)
    No
    I never said she shouldn't go swimming. When I say no I mean no to you, because you say "deny everything everyone has said here". You tell her not to weight train is bad advice. Saying swimming is considered the best sport there is and more fun than fitness is subjective. That's your opinion. And just because it's your opinion doesn't make it true across the board. So making a blanket statement like that is incorrect. Do you need more of an explanation?

Also, by "fitness" I'm assuming you mean weight training which also makes no sense. As in fitness is only weight train training.
    Sergeant Serious.

But on a serious side note, and trust me on this one: All the girls I train with look bloody fit.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Eat an extra 3,500 calories a week. But eat things that make u fain healthy weight (whole wheat, avocado, whole milk, bananas, REAL peanut butter, etc.) When you exercise make sure to use a lot of resistence and heavy weights and less reps. I was 111lbs in January and am now 117. Make sure not to over work your muscles as they will get smaller. Hope this helps

this post hurts my head.

Yes- you need to eat a surplus to gain. For everyone this will be a different number.

There is no such thing as healthy weight gain from "healthy" food. I bulked on steak and ice cream and oreo's and milk. Hitting your surplus is significantly more important than the types of food you use to get you there. Yes you need to get some solid balanced macro's in there- but you don't have to macro obssess- it's just not needed.

I don't even know what to do about the don't over work your muscles or they get smaller. I'm not even sure where to begin.

What you need to know OP.

Eat big.
    Lift big.

for support from other who are in that process check here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/51470-women-who-bulk
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    So I've been in maintenance for quite some time now, maybe since December? And I've found myself getting pretty bored lately, and I think it's because this time last year my goal was to lose weight but now I don't have a goal. Well wit the weather getting nicer I'm finding myself more motivated to get in shape for some reason.

I would love to be the girl with abs, and I know that's going to take a lot of hard work so I need some help.
    Any advice for a newbie who honestly has no idea where to begin?

I am in the same boat. i am going to start heavy lifting and see where it goes.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • Pectinbean
    Pectinbean Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    This is interesting. I'm a slim build with some wobble in my belly. I hadn't thought of weights as helping abs, just for arms! I am new to working out tho. I run and cycle but I have little-to-no upper body strength. What weight should you start with? I mean I'm feebly weak and don't want to end up injuring myself. Also, are push ups going to do my midsection any good?
  • jchadden42
    jchadden42 Posts: 189
    Options

I was so going to say SWIM!!!!! Not that lifting and Yoga are bad, but swimming exercises all of the muscles!! :happy:
  • November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I joined up with Nerd Fitness and am following some of the workouts there for fitness.

I also mountain-bike, and would recommend that to anyone.
  • November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    This is interesting. I'm a slim build with some wobble in my belly. I hadn't thought of weights as helping abs, just for arms! I am new to working out tho. I run and cycle but I have little-to-no upper body strength. What weight should you start with? I mean I'm feebly weak and don't want to end up injuring myself. Also, are push ups going to do my midsection any good?

Do a pushup - it answers your question! You feel it right in your core - don't think about 'abs', think about your whole core, from your diaphragm down to your pelvic floor, the obliques and all the bits in between. Core is, well, core. Planks do your core, but push-ups will affect it too. Lifting weight will affect it because you need a strong core and strong legs to lift the weight, so lifting a free weight works a whole lot more muscles than just the hands and arms holding it.

See if your gym offers inductions or if they have someone who can show you how to use them.
  • JoRocka
    Options

weights for just helping arms?

squats? dead lifts? lunges? bridge lifts?

I don't even have an "arms" day and all I do is lift.
  • Pectinbean
    Pectinbean Posts: 62 Member
    Options

Do a pushup - it answers your question! You feel it right in your core - don't think about 'abs', think about your whole core, from your diaphragm down to your pelvic floor, the obliques and all the bits in between. Core is, well, core. Planks do your core, but push-ups will affect it too. Lifting weight will affect it because you need a strong core and strong legs to lift the weight, so lifting a free weight works a whole lot more muscles than just the hands and arms holding it.

See if your gym offers inductions or if they have someone who can show you how to use them.

I'll look into this, ta! I can't actually do a proper pushup, just the knee bent ones, the shame... I don't like the gym cause I have no idea what I'm doing so I imagine an induction would be a good starting point!
  • ashleysarvi
    Options
    Im with everyone else start lifting =) or even body weights moves are good. Ive developed most my muscle on body weight exercises.
  • JoRocka
    Options

I'll look into this, ta! I can't actually do a proper pushup, just the knee bent ones, the shame... I don't like the gym cause I have no idea what I'm doing so I imagine an induction would be a good starting point!

try doing them on a desk or the stairs- with straight legs- it's more translatable to straight push ups- as you can move down ward- knee push ups don't offer much progress to moving upwards to full un-modified push ups.
  • Amestris
    Amestris Posts: 152 Member
    Options

weights for just helping arms?

squats? dead lifts? lunges? bridge lifts?

I don't even have an "arms" day and all I do is lift.

So you don't incorporate any accessary lifts that target the arms? P.S. Just wondering since I am new to strength training. Thanks
  • JoRocka
    Options
    So you don't incorporate any accessory lifts that target the arms? P.S. Just wondering since I am new to strength training. Thanks

not really to be honest- they get hit by nature of some of the work I do- but I don't do bicep curls or tricep press downs. not regularly- I haven't had an "arm" day in probably 2-3 years. I am training for a power lifting meet right now- and I don't have time to do a full bro split- that may change in six months after the meet because I'm considering doing a physique competition- but we'll see ;)

But the answer is no- not SPECIFICALLY... it happens- but as an after thought.

So- how I get some arm work in mostly happens on chest day LOL
    I have cable flys- decline and incline- hits the arms a little
    Deep forward dips- lots of chest- includes biceps

Back day- I do pull ups- I throw in chin ups (palms facing me) which are heavy bicep activation.

Standing Overhead press- you get shoulders in there

Over head extension/pull- that's a whole lot of everything upper body- chest- lats- arms- fabulous exercise.

also my comment was more about the fact it seemed the implication was weight training = arms- so that's kind of why there was a specific emphasis on all the leg lifting- plus your lower body is not 50% of your body- it's closer to 70%... it needs more attention than your two arms hanging off your trunk.
  • Amestris
    Amestris Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information. I recently started the beginner strength training program from a workout routine after being primarily cardio focused throughout my weight less. I'm sure I'll have to switch things up eventually. Appreciate the information.
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Lift weights. Helping me immensely
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    No

I say lifting is more fun than swimming..so my opinion is therefore superior to yours...