PLEASE BE CAREFUL NOT TO GET RUN DOWN & SICK!

groovylaura
groovylaura Posts: 36
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Someone recently asked why the program was giving her a "starvation" warning. Here's some suggestions from a 50 year old: Did you put a weight-loss goal in the MFP program when It set up the recommended calories per day for you? If so, I think the calories is set to help you lose weight without exercising at all. Therefore, when you exercise, you need more calories, and you will still lose weight (maybe a bit slower but in a much more healthy and lasting way). I'm eating just a little under my total recommended calories (including the increase for exercising), and I'm still losing weight really well.

This is only my 6th day on here, and I've lost 5.75 pounds! Yippie!!! It's pretty normal to lose faster at the beginning and then slow down, and that's okay. I've lost quicker before by eating less and exercising more, and I always ended up getting run down and sick. Then, I'd have to stop everything to get better, and it's kind of an endless cycle. I couldn't believe how much I had to eat when I was on Weight Watchers, but I found that I actually lost more eating all the food than when I tried to eat less. It was kind of weird but true. I think our bodies work more efficiently when we are getting what we need. It helps our matabolism to work more efficiently. If you lose the weight slower and in a healthier way, it's more apt to stay off and become a "forever" lifestyle change.

I'm 50 years old now, and I was quite thin when I was younger. But, I can sure gain weight quickly when I'm not careful. I've tried so many ways of losing weight over the years, and losing it slower and more carefully is most definitely the best way for me. You will feel much better in the long run, and your body won't get weakened from too few of calories. I think you can start losing healthy muscle tissue when you're not eating right, and that can be hard on you forever. Anyway, I just wanted to give you an opinion from someone older that has struggled with weight for much of my life. I've gotten it off before, but it never stayed off. This time it's FOREVER, and I want to do it in as healthy a way as possible!!! As you get older, you realize just how important your body and healthy living truly is...

I strongly recommend eating the amount of calories this program suggests (or slightly under), and make sure the "starvation" warning never shows. I'm sure the warning is on there to help people not to try to lose weight too quickly, because that will hurt you. I hope all of this helps you a bit. I just wish that I was young again, and then I'd have the chance to do things better. But, maybe I can at least help other young women (and men and women of all ages) to make better choices. That's my goal... I'm a mom of 3, and I'm kind of like a mom to everyone I care about... I think it's just in my blood... So, take good care of yourselves everyone! YOU'RE VERY WORTH IT!!! Life is short, so live yours healthy and happy as long as you can!!! Take care, Laura :bigsmile:

Replies

• kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    I'm glad you posted this because I think it is very important info people should know. I always try to eat the recommended amount of calories especially if I exercise because I just feel sick if I don't. I'm also finding out that I really love this site because it doesn't tell me what I can and cannot eat therefore I'm not on a diet. It's truly a lifestyle change and a matter of proportions.
  • I couldn't have said it better myself, Laura. You're spot on. I have never had a weight problem until after the age of 50, and then BAM! Everything changed, and not for the better for me. After X number of years of smoking, starting to have health issues with my heart and then a bout with breast cancer. Inactivity can do those things to you, and they aren't good. I have changed my whole life style, and MFP has helped me to do that. I manage to stay under my calories for the day, just in case I don't exercise. A couple days ago I had 4 calories left and it said "starvation mode". I don't always enter my exercise cause most of the time I forget to. I'm sure not going about 4 little calories though, lol. There are tons of people on here that have a wealth of information and encourage and cheer for us when we do good. I'm so glad I joined!
  • Memah
    Memah Posts: 129
    Thank you for your post, Laura. I have seen the "starvation mode" message even when very slightly under my calorie goal. So, since my nutritionist cautioned me to not eat under 1200 calories and in fact said I could eat up to 1400 or 1500 for my 5'7" height, I can't. That's just way too much food. What I do is eat just slightly over 1200 calories, and that works well for me.

At this moment I am trying to work up the energy to exercise, at least a little. I am so tired. But I know I need to. Maybe I'll just do 15 minutes on the bike.
  • Absolutely true Laura. Our bodies are like cars... No fuel, it won't go. Clean, healthy food = energy. We need a certain amount of good quality protein, fat and carbs each day to keep our engines going strong. When we are burning fuel by exercising a lot (weights and cardio), we need a bit more, not less. Just think of car races like the Indy ...and how many times they have to stop to re-fuel because they are pushing those cars to the limit.

Tough I already new this from great literature I have read over the years, it can be hard sometimes to truly tell whether we are eating enough or too much. This site is wonderful. As long as we log, it does the calculations for us. I am so looking forward to continuing my healthy lifestyle journey using these tools.
This discussion has been closed.