Time for a good ol' fashioned rant!

Options

Replies

• Sad_Grandpa
    Sad_Grandpa Posts: 129
    Options
    When I talk about pretentious hippies, I am usually referring to someones attitude of pedantic moral superiority regarding narrow lifestyle choices they make., not the choices themselves.

Either that or people who walk on my lawn with their tiny, yippy dogs.

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Harrisonsauntie2005 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Actually, whole foods such as fruit and veg are worse for you than processed foods such as icecream and cookies. Scientific fact.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Today I ate:

apples

carrots

spinach

beans

tofu

almonds
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Okay, tired of what, to me, sound like flippant, sarcastic, or just flat out unreasonable responses.

OP, shame on you for having a social conscience YOU HIPPIE! OR HIPSTER!

Go back to magic peace land and smoke a marijuana cigarette and FARM ORGANICALLY YOU FREAK!

That's right, the all caps were for you, Mr. Easily-Offended-By-All-Caps-Who-Doesn't-Care-to-Understand-the-Content-of-Someone's-Post-But-Responss-to-CAPS.

My, my.....someones underpants are all in a bunch. Calm down, and discuss like a nice guy.:flowerforyou:
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Today I ate:

apples

carrots

spinach

beans

tofu

almonds

Sorry. :frown:
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Okay, tired of what, to me, sound like flippant, sarcastic, or just flat out unreasonable responses.

OP, shame on you for having a social conscience YOU HIPPIE! OR HIPSTER!

Go back to magic peace land and smoke a marijuana cigarette and FARM ORGANICALLY YOU FREAK!

That's right, the all caps were for you, Mr. Easily-Offended-By-All-Caps-Who-Doesn't-Care-to-Understand-the-Content-of-Someone's-Post-But-Responss-to-CAPS.

This+is+now+a+Rustle+my+jimmies+thread+_4c009e240d9275c629285c383a27d1e9.jpg
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    'Should' for what?

For 'healthy' - nope.
    For 'morality' - rather depends on what angle you approach it from.
    Mass produced can often be better for the environment as far as economies of scale go - one large lorry to get a massive load from A to B, rather than a smaller and less efficient distribution system.
    Food imported from third world countries supports people with considerably less income than the poorest in the UK at least (well, the poorest that can be bothered to claim benefits).
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I hear you.

Processed foods, filled with unpronounceable chemicals = normal.

Unprocessed foods in as close to their natural form = crazy, pretentious hippie or crazy evangelist

if your ability to pronounce the chemicals in your food is going to dictate your food choices, i suspect you'll have a much harder time finding foods to eat than you think.

we-love-chemicals-620-450x636.jpg

http://blog.everydayscientist.com/?p=2814

This argument is so weird to me. Problem is that if there are apples in a food product they say "apples" on the ingredient list, there is no other word for "polysorbate 80" which is a chemical not something I want to munch on, therefore it has to be labelled as such. There is a difference between the "chemicals" our apples and the "chemicals" that are additives to food products.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    OH, but next weekend when I finished my 5th Hustle UP the Hancock, I'll have a huge biscotti and not worry about the ingredients.

And, OP, don't fret this. This is a weight loss forum, not a health and nutrition forum. I think that may explain why so many people respond with such hostility or mockery to some posts.
  • wheird
    Options
    OH, but next weekend when I finished my 5th Hustle UP the Hancock, I'll have a huge biscotti and not worry about the ingredients.

And, OP, don't fret this. This is a weight loss forum, not a health and nutrition forum. I think that may explain why so many people respond with such hostility or mockery to some posts.

And yet many of us learn and discuss health and nutrition here daily. What this is not is an environmentalist forum.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    complains-about-chemicals-in-food-takes-acid-from-strangers-thumb.jpg
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options

Since joining MFP I have taken two college Nutrition classes.
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options

And yet many of us learn and discuss health and nutrition here daily. What this is not is an environmentalist forum.

So are you saying I shouldn't have bothered even bringing it up? Just because I care about soil fertility doesn't make me a "environmentalist" and doesn't make me a pretentious person. Hence my whole frustration.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hey, wait . . . I think I partied with her in the 60s! :noway:
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Harrisonsauntie2005 Posts: 215 Member
    Options

So are you saying I shouldn't have bothered even bringing it up? Just because I care about soil fertility doesn't make me a "environmentalist" and doesn't make me a pretentious person. Hence my whole frustration.

May the force be with you.

I agree in part to your sentiments
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I love pretentious hippies. They can be down for some freaky ****.
    To be fair, I don't know anyone who makes their own so someone has to take it from a stranger at some point...
  • wheird
    Options

No, but I would argue that you should present nutritional reasons for your assertion.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I get you, kind of.

I'm a vegetarian, so I get called a hippie all the time. But I am kind of a hippie, so I guess it doesn't really bother me. People say lots of things about my food choices, especially now that I'm losing weight. Everyone has an opinion.

Food is a very personal thing, and I think what it comes down to is that no one really likes to have their food choices criticized. Food is obviously necessary for survival, but it's also emotional, social, and cultural, so I think it's natural that anyone might feel a little defensive when they feel that their food preferences are being challenged.

Buying local is great if it's a realistic option. We have a farmer's market in the spring/summer months, and there are lots of Amish around here, so buying groceries locally isn't too difficult or expensive. I generally enjoy and appreciate my food more when I know where it comes from and what went into producing it, but I'm certainly not a clean eater, and I do shop at the nearest grocery stores to get groceries. When it's warm, I sometimes ride my bike there. Sometimes I drive. Sometimes it's a convenience issue, sometimes it's because I want to buy something highly processed and pre-packaged (and delicious), and sometimes it's because I want a pineapple or a mango (ain't no way I'm getting either of those locally up here in Michigan).

And I try not to comment on other people's eating habits because it rarely has a good outcome. The way I eat makes me happy, and people who know me know that. If they have questions about my diet or want to make changes for themselves, they are always welcome to ask me any questions. They enjoy their food, I enjoy my food, and then we all enjoy ice cream or beer together. People only change for themselves, and only when they're ready. Just do what makes you happy and let other people do the same. :smile:
  • kayduro
    kayduro Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Tree hugger :tongue:

I love your profile pic:)
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with horse meat? It's a delicious, nutritious source of lean protein if you can find a source certified for human consumption. My horse companion of the last 15 years is safe from the dinner table- he'd be much too tough.