Chiropractors

Options
LiveLoveLift67
LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
I recently started using a chiropractor for back pain with sciatica for the last two weeks. I had the pain for almost a month before i went. Xrays showing my two upper ( neck) and two lower vertebrea are bent and pressing on the nerves and causing pain. He says he can fix it but will take a couple months of treatments. Ive gone 6 times so far and not sure i am noticing a difference at all.

Tell me what experiences you have had with them...good or bad.....i paid for 12 treatments but i dont want to pay for 12 more if i am not improving. Im not even sure when i should notice much improvement. But, i could tell on the xrays where they are bent. Some people i know love them and some hate them....

Its not cheap so i dont want to keep throwing money away.

Replies

• 16shelz
    16shelz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been to a chiropractor for neck pain. It was very frustrating when they tried to rope me into a year of visits for a crazy amount. I decided just to go on my terms, a couple times a week, then once a week. When the pain went away I quit going, seems like it was 15 visits or so. If the pain returns I will go back but so far so good, it's been over a year now.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Quacks. A temp fix for a permanent problem. They keep you coming back and back with no permanent resolution. I had a bad car accident in 2000 with nerve damage to my extremities, permanent hip dysplasia and a bad shoulder, carpal tunnel, and chronic pain as a result. After years of temp relief from assorted chiropractors, I had a three-week period that I could not lie down for more than an hour at a time without feeling like my arms were ON FIRE. It was horrible. I had a tens unit and it provided no relief. The chiropractor only made it worse. So I went to my family doc and he referred me to a physical therapist, who figured out my root problem on one exam and gave me exercises to strengthen my weak areas to minimize my problems. If it wasn't for that therapist, I would not be lifting heavy and as pain free as I am today! Or as fit!

Don't waste your money. Look into physical therapy.
  • sctsbuttercup
    sctsbuttercup Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I went last year 3x a week for 4 months. I stopped when it aggravated my sciatica to the point of severe pain. I went from acute pain to chronic. It was suggested for me to try the decompression table but I was afraid after the couple weeks I was down from the last adjustment. I did however complete 2 months of physical therapy which helped me become more mobile and the pain level went down some. I've had good experiences with chiropractors in the past when I've had a pinched nerve but not with the sciatica..
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Had that with one quite a few years ago, told I had a curvature of he spine. X-rays and a treatment plan was what he wanted, I passed on that. Haven't experienced anything like that with the one I go to now. I'll go when I'm seized up (sometimes back or neck or both) receive a treatment and am told if it continues to bother me to come back to see him. Usually the one visit works, the odd time if I've let it go too long it takes a second appointment. I have nothing but good things to say about my chiropractor. There are ones out there doing it just for the $$$$ but I think you'll find that in any profession. Just gotta find one you trust and go with what works for you.
  • staplebug
    staplebug Posts: 189
    Options
    The good are those who want to get you through a treatment plan in a couple of months of appointments. The bad don't set up treatment plans, but keep telling you to come in even if you don't need it.
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I <3 my Chiropractors!!!!!
    _first expierence was about 5 months after having my son, I had sciatica so badly that at times I couldnt walk
    or the pain would randomly shoot down my left leg until I lifted my leg flamingo style. Xrays showed that I have
    compression between the last 2 verts in my lower back, and my upper lumbar were rotating in opposite directions
    so one kinked right, the next left, the next right. I think it took about 2-3 months (began with 3 appointments weekly
    and then tapered down) but I saw 100% results. The pain stopped completely, I was able to sit and lay more comfortably.
    _2nd expierence was during my 2nd pregnancy when my ligaments loosened and my back misaligned again...and while
    dotoring my back at home I seperated my pelvis in the front (pubic symphysis dislocation). It killed me to move, let alone
    walk. Since I was pregnant they could only rely on manipulations so it made the benefits a little harder to come by, but I
    would have been bed ridden with out it.
    They say that immediately after treatment you will feel better (true story) but make sure that you aren't pushing yourself
    during that good feeling period, because the pain will come back several fold as the adjustment for that day settles in.

Are you just being adjusted or are you recieved electro or ultra sound therapy as well?
    I personally feel they are totally worth it...but every body is different. I would think that between 10-12 treatments should
    give you a better understanding of level of improvement.
  • mrsfyredude
    mrsfyredude Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    there are quacks everywhere in all areas of the medical field. do your research, ask for referrals. I've been going to my same chiropractor since before my son was born (he's going to be 12) I LOVE him. He's never told me I "have" to come back for a certain number of treatments, it's always been up to me. The women in my family have a history of back/neck problems so I have nothing bad to say about the good ones. When I was pregnant with my son I had a bout with sciatica, couldn't walk, couldn't sit, I was Crying when I went to his office (never had to wait days for an appointment), after one treatment, never had the problem again. This is just one woman's opinion. DON'T go to anyone who advertises on TV or "specializes" in car accident injuries, they're more likely to be in it for the money from insurance than actually wanting to help.
    Just my opinion.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    My chiropractor was the one who referred me to an orthopedist and a PT when she realized there was something wrong with my lower back that chiropractic care wasn't helping. Got a diagnosis and have kept up with the PT exercises with the chiropractor's full support, and she's there when the problem, which can't be "cured" completely, knocks the rest of my spine out of alignment, which it does on occasion. So I love my chiro. That said, I've heard of plenty who weren't so great (like other medical professionals--some are quacks and some just aren't very bright).

As for it taking a while, it's not a quick fix if you go in with a serious issue. When I was first referred for whiplash after a car accident, it took about 12 visits, maybe more, to feel better. Since then, unless I've managed to hurt myself again, it's occasional tune-ups as needed. (See above.)
  • nickowastaken
    nickowastaken Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I have two prolapsed discs. Initially I went to a chiropractor but it was useless, the more I think about it the more I think it was a waste of time and money.

Don't bother going again and find a pilates class instead. It's what I did and now I'm 2 years with zero pain.

Good luck.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    I love my chiro! I see him a few times a month, especially when my SI joint gets out of alignment and I can't get it back in--it happens pretty frequently due to a old-*kitten* gymnastics injury. Mine has an acupuncturist in his office so I'll see her, then get aligned and it's amazeballs.

Like others have said, there's good ones and bad ones.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    They are generally frauds. Go get an exam with an ortho or neuro MD. I am a nurse and work quite often with people with injuries - every time someone goes to a chiro I get all stabby because I know that chiropractor will just soak them for all they've got instead of referring them to a physician who can actually help them.
  • liljen69
    liljen69 Posts: 45
    Options
    I'm one of those people who have always thought they were quacks; however, I found two that I really like. I don't go for my back though (never have). They specialize in running injuries and they have worked miracles on my knees. They try to get me running as soon as possible and I've never felt pressured into continuous treatment. They also teach me strength training exercises to prevent future injuries.

I think you just need to find a good one.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    They're under-trained wannabe physiotherapists.....there's a reason that chiropractic services have been de-listed by most provincial healthcare plans.......
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I went through 3 chiropractors before I found one that actually helped me and who I trusted. When I moved I was so fortunate to find another gem and I've been seeing him on and off for many years! They are all different and finding one who really knows their stuff is important. Good luck with that sciatica. :smile:
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I would explain that you aren't getting any better and ask for a second opinion - if your chiro is confident with his/her diagnosis he/she shouldn't be worried about referring you to someone else for confirmation. Or skip it and ask for a refund and go to your doc and get a referral to someone else.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Many are indeed quacks. When I found the one I am going to now, I was skeptical but I had been in so much pain I was on the edge of well... jumping. I've been going for a few months now and they told me that they hope that soon I won't have to see their faces anymore because I'm feeling 'normal'. However, it's not a set plan, I can go as much or as little as I want and they even do stuff for free. They encourage you to get physical therapy, massage therapy, work with your other doctors and all of them together to get the plan that will work. And if they can't help you, they send you away. My chiro does a combo of actual cracking, physical therapy, and the integrator method. They also encourage a workout plan and dietary changes, but they don't push them on you. I get that some may have bad experiences, but I had horrible experiences with docs but you just have to keep looking until you find the one that works for you. Like shopping for jeans! It's rarely the very first pair you try! lol Good luck!
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the other people who have responded thus far. There are some really good chiropractors out there that can do a lot of good but there are a lot of idiots out there as well. Check what school they attended as this is an easy way to start weeding out the crazies from the legitimate healthcare professionals. Personally, I try to stay away from Palmer grads as Palmer has a very "culty" curriculum and the docs coming out of there seem to think they can cure literally any illness by adjusting your spine. Even if it's an illness that has absolutely nothing to do with your musculoskeletal or neuromuscular systems. The docs I have met from Lyfe University have been the best doctors IMO. They understood the limitations of chiropractic care and didn't try to step into the role of a regular physician. I'm a neurophysiology technologist so that makes it a little easier for me to discern who knows their stuff and who doesn't but you should be able to tell after a few visits even if you don't have a lot of experience in healthcare. The bottom line is, if they help you feel better then they are effective and if they don't then they're not.
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the input. I have only gone for 6 visits so far but, i think i will stick with it for another month and see if i feel any more improvement and then go from there. I always feel better when i leave there ( physically). But, need to not over do when i feel good. Hard to go from lifting 6 days a week to barely at all now. Im not the most patient person lol. But, he did tell me what i can and cant do just yet. Your comments have helped.....thank you!
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan... A few years ago I lifted a 45lb plate not with my knees and twisted when I came up. It pulled something in my sacroilial region. A friend recommended a chiropractor so I figured I'd give it a go. The first two visits were awesome. No back cracking or any of that; I got massages with Biofreeze and low level electrical stimulation under ice packs. Brilliant. Third visit, they made me watch some whacked out video of the "doctors" in the practice saying that if I didn't follow their treatment plans, my muscles would dissolve and I'd die (or something ridiculously crazy like that) and gave me a pamplet with a graph that showed a line going up toward health for people who listened to the chiros and I line going downward toward death for people who didn't follow the instructions. Then I had my massage and whatnot and then they did an "adjustment"... on my neck (which I had no problems with). It hurt like a mother******! I wasn't told at any point that "adjustments" would be necessary. Ever. When I said that it hurt my neck, I was told that the pulled muscle in my lower back/hip would get worse before it got better and they wanted me to come in 3x per week for 12 weeks. I never went back and I don't plan to. My pain went away on its own in 2 weeks. :noway: