A Question For those who have been on MFP for more than 1 yr

Options
2»

Replies

• AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I've not been here that long, but can already 'see' the keepers and quitters. Myself included!!

I totally agree with Stacey. The only thing I would add to the quitter list is the excuses! You know, I had a bad day because <..................> instead of just putting it down to life and getting back on the wagon, the day turns into a week and then they are gone.

I know that if I have a bad day then I mostly want to!! :bigsmile: That is, it's a planned 'cheat' day (call it what you will) and soon as its over, I'm back in the lifestyle. I cut myself some slack. I don't think that 100% commitment is necessary. I live the 80/20 rule :bigsmile:

I KNOW that if that day turns into 2 or 3 or 4, then, I'm going to be falling off the wagon!! I've done it so many times. The negative attitude is "I've blown it, I'm giving up now". But this time, I dont have that thought at all!

So, my answer is: live life!! Don't worry about a cheat day! Live it and get back to healthy living after. You dont need excuses to live your life!! You just need to stick to your goal and realise that it's a LONG TERM goal. There is NO quick fix. All us yo-yo dieters actually know that!! So the idea of MFP is to incorporate life into your goal and your goal into your life. :drinker:

Never give up! Slow and steady wins the race :flowerforyou:
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,743 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with Stacey. The only thing I would add to the quitter list is the excuses!
    I totally agree with both you and Stacey.

The people I expect to be successful are the ones who take ownership of the process and don't see themselves as victims. Sadly, it's easier to spot those who are likely to fail. Red flags to me are when someone says something like "Please motivate me" or "My husband [or mom, or roommate, or whatever] brought home some doughnuts [or chips, or cookies, or whatever], and I couldn't resist." Another red flag is someone who proclaims frequently, "I'm back on track again." If you get back on track over and over again, it means you're getting OFF track over and over again.

The successful losers are the ones who are completely honest with themselves, who don't try to do too much too fast, and who honor the commitments they make to themselves as well as they those they make to others. I believe people would make better choices if it was the health of their loved ones that was at stake, so why give in to temptation when it's your health that's at stake?
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    I totally agree with Stacey. The only thing I would add to the quitter list is the excuses!
    I totally agree with both you and Stacey.

The people I expect to be successful are the ones who take ownership of the process and don't see themselves as victims. Sadly, it's easier to spot those who are likely to fail. Red flags to me are when someone says something like "Please motivate me" or "My husband [or mom, or roommate, or whatever] brought home some doughnuts [or chips, or cookies, or whatever], and I couldn't resist." Another red flag is someone who proclaims frequently, "I'm back on track again." If you get back on track over and over again, it means you're getting OFF track over and over again.

The successful losers are the ones who are completely honest with themselves, who don't try to do too much too fast, and who honor the commitments they make to themselves as well as they those they make to others. I believe people would make better choices if it was the health of their loved ones that was at stake, so why give in to temptation when it's your health that's at stake?
    PJilly I thank you very much! Great Reply! ALL the replys have been so thoughtful and well explained Thanks Again! I am happy to say I will continue to resist the junk and keep going everyday.
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    mrsjbarnes, I really love this thread and am very glad you started it. It really got me thinking about what it takes to "make it" and even inspired me to write a blog about it. Thanks for putting the question out there that really makes us all think and evaluate where we are in our journey! *hugs*
  • Jena_72
    Options
    BUMP:flowerforyou:
    I would love more input from our MFP Vets!! Thanks Again to those of you that replied!! :flowerforyou:
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I started in Jan 08, and was down over 20lbs when my daughter was diagnosed with leukemia in April of 08. Totally lost my head, the only thing that mattered was her and getting her well. I tried halfheartedly a few times to lose the weight while she was going through her 2 1/2 years of treatment, but was never fully committed so continually gave up. In all, I put on the 20 I lost, plus 10ish more, I forget the exact amount.

I got semi-serious again last July, but then my Dad was diagnosed with terminal prostate cancer at the age of 55 (he's still going strong, but will not live to see his 70s... we're praying he sees part of his 60s and for a cure!), so that shot that attempt out the door.

Finally at the end April of this year I thought, what am I doing to myself? I can't help my daughter or my Dad if I'm an overweight mess (and the stressed out "strong one" of the family... I was thisclose to punching the next person that said that to me after my Dad was diagnosed "Oh, you'll get your sister and everyone through this because you're the strong one." *insert scream here*), so I completely and utterly recommitted myself to getting ME healthy. Which is a bonus, because after my daughter finished her chemo, they told us that she has even more of a chance to be obese because of the steroids she had to take, and her father's side of the family are all obese. I hope that if she pays as close attention to me as I know she has been, she'll see that even though her Mom is "old" (haha, I'm only 35) and can get healthy, that it won't be much of a stretch to keep herself healthy too.

As a bonus, my husband joined this site in May or June and has now lost 40lbs and is about halfway to his goal weight, and avoiding diabetes too!
  • AnAbsoluteDiva
    AnAbsoluteDiva Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    hmmmmmmmmmmm:indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent:
    i'm sure u would call me an MFP oldie.:smile::smile:
    but i'm no success.:cry::cry: :cry:
    i once thought i was though!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    back in 6-2009, i got w/in 5lbs of my goal and i was on top of the world!:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: (bikini pic in profile!!!:bigsmile: :bigsmile: )
    but i've gained 10-15 lbs since then!:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
    i still work out almost every fricken day and i am careful w/ my foods, but ..............::grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

i can not answer your question. perhapps i should not even have written in your thread. i too am in awe of the sucess people you talk of!:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

I just LOVE this post! I'm gonna keep it!!!
  • JeanneTops
    JeanneTops Posts: 2,620 Member
    Options
    The honesty of the posts on this thread is what I like best about MFP and it's the honesty that makes the difference between success and not-success.
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I started in Jan 08, and was down over 20lbs when my daughter was diagnosed with leukemia in April of 08. Totally lost my head, the only thing that mattered was her and getting her well. I tried halfheartedly a few times to lose the weight while she was going through her 2 1/2 years of treatment, but was never fully committed so continually gave up. In all, I put on the 20 I lost, plus 10ish more, I forget the exact amount.

I got semi-serious again last July, but then my Dad was diagnosed with terminal prostate cancer at the age of 55 (he's still going strong, but will not live to see his 70s... we're praying he sees part of his 60s and for a cure!), so that shot that attempt out the door.

Finally at the end April of this year I thought, what am I doing to myself? I can't help my daughter or my Dad if I'm an overweight mess (and the stressed out "strong one" of the family... I was thisclose to punching the next person that said that to me after my Dad was diagnosed "Oh, you'll get your sister and everyone through this because you're the strong one." *insert scream here*), so I completely and utterly recommitted myself to getting ME healthy. Which is a bonus, because after my daughter finished her chemo, they told us that she has even more of a chance to be obese because of the steroids she had to take, and her father's side of the family are all obese. I hope that if she pays as close attention to me as I know she has been, she'll see that even though her Mom is "old" (haha, I'm only 35) and can get healthy, that it won't be much of a stretch to keep herself healthy too.

As a bonus, my husband joined this site in May or June and has now lost 40lbs and is about halfway to his goal weight, and avoiding diabetes too!

Wow, girl your post really touched my heart! I love that despite what you've gone through (and continue to go through) you've decided to put yourself on the list. You're totally right, you can't do anything for other people if your own health starts to decline. Eating healthy and exercising regularly is going to assure you're in tip-top shape to deal with whatever life has to offer - the good and the bad.

Thank you so much for sharing your story. You're such a sweet heart! Your daughter and dad (and you) are in my prayers! *big hugs*
  • Jena_72
    Options

Thank You Clarissa.
    May God continue you Bless you with the strength so many depend on.
    As a mother of 3 daughters, your story hits very close to my heart. I can't imagine cancer in my child. And like Stacy said for you to still know you have to put yourself on the list after all that, speaks volumes to me. I have let things keep me down to long and when I hear a story like yours and still see you continue on your OWN journey, while accompining others on theirs. I feel I have no right NOT to GET UP. I am so glad to have met you and even more glad I thought to post this thread, thank you so, so much for sharing your story.
    My oldest daughter is a Type 1 diabetic diagnosed when the was 12(she's 15 now). She is insulin dependant, and manages her diabetes on her own for the most part. Having a diabetic TEEN is really hard sometimes. But I know I have to teach her to stay active, by being active. She doesn't have a weight problem but the thing is, she can't afford to have one either. And neither can I as I have had Gestational Diabetes twice, and that alone puts me at a higher risk for diabetes.
    So this is me putting me on the list um I mean at the top of the list.:wink:
  • maureensm
    maureensm Posts: 173 Member
    Options

Your story touched my heart. My mom died of leukemia when I was 19 and now that I'm grown and have a son of my own, the thought of him getting cancer is one of my greatest fears. I am truly in awe of your courage and perseverence. I believe that when you're working torwards your own health, you will be setting the standard for your family. I wish you the best of luck in your journey and hugs to your daughter!
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Aww ladies, I cannot even begin to described how your words have lifted me up. Let me tell you, most days I don't feel either strong nor courageous. I can't even tell you how many times I've literally locked myself in my closet and cried until I couldn't any more.

Like Jeanne said, if you're not honest with yourself and how you got the way you are, how are you going to be able to change it? Since I've got back to it in April, I've been diligent with my logging (even yesterday after a trip to Buffalo Wild Wings and huge calorie dinner :blushing: ) No point in making excuses any more because it'll just bite me in the butt later. :laugh: