rudest thing anyone has ever said about your weight?

Options

Replies

• biglarrr
    biglarrr Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I take skinny comments as a compliment. I don't really think I'm skinny, except in comparison to what I weighed previously, but last week one of my co-workers said "You wouldn't complain about those hard seats in the lunch room if you had a little padding on your *kitten*".
    Yeaaaayyyyy ! ! Someone thinks I'm skinny.

Conversely - as a guy - this was pretty motivational even if it was a joke. It was pretty insulting.
    Friend came up and patted my stomach and asked me when the baby was due.
    Sometimes you need to be insulted.
    I lived in this denial world where I didn't even realize I was morbidly obese, until I didn't recognize myself in pictures from my son's wedding.
    That along with a sign for a helicopter tour that said "If You weigh over 250lbs, you must purchase two tickets for tour". I weighed about 280 at the time.
    Joined WW two weeks later.
  • ik70
    ik70 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have been fat since I was a kid and have heard all sorts of things that people can say , from name calling to making fun of you at every instance that they get. The most annoying has to be when people think that fat people can't be active and cannot take part in physical activities. you go for a hike and someone will ask "Will you be able to do that?".
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I wasn't overweight until about 4 years ago, so don't have incidents at school or anything, but my aunt (who worked in an underwwar shop) would regularly remind me that that I had no breasts and that boys would not be interested in me because I was too skinny. The funny thing is that at my largest, I was a 38HH!!

People used to shout at me in the street when I was at my largest, which is odd because I live in the UK and there are a lot of overweight and obese people here. One occasion was very, very sexually graphic and I had my 2 year old son with me. Had he not been there I honestly believe I would have tried to jump the guy and dash his brains on the pavement.

Mind you, my son has Apsergers and regularly comments on my weight. Recently he has started to complain my chest is too bony when I hug him and has noted that my 'butt no longer spills out over the side of chairs'. He reminds me I am still fat though but not as much as before. Cheers kid! I don't take it personally, he is makes similar remarks about everyone (too fat, too thin, too hairy, too smelly, too much cider in their shopping basket :embarassed:)
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    My (VERY overweight) Sister said "Finally you LOOK like one of us!"

I come from a family that were all skinny kids but got fat in their 20's it was a pattern I didn't want to follow, so I didn't. For years when I would come home on leave from the military they would all make excuses to why I was fit and they weren't "Well the Military keeps you fit"
    "If they paid me to work out I would too" BUT the military didn't pay me to work out, I had to do it on my off time, also there were plenty of people (and still are) in the military who struggle with weight. Oh AND they accused me of using steroids and "cheating" when I was muscular.Their favorite line was "When you hit 25 you'll see, it won't be so easy to be all muscles" when I didn't get fat it then turned to 30, then 35 then 40. When I got injured (and lazy) in my early 40's they were almost OVERJOYED I had finally got fat. Last year my sister dropped by on her way down south. She hadn't seen me in a few years. She was angry! Her first words to me were "Why do you always have to waste time with this fitness crap!?"
  • StarsAreMyOcean
    Options
    I love the comments along the line of "you would look even prettier if you lost some weight." Um, thanks...I think? I mean I know I need to lose some weight, but still...

I've never been sure if I should feel offended or not with that one.
  • schoggipfote
    Options
    I mean the only reason I mention she is not native to where we are from is because she does say a lot of rude things about Americans in general and i'm not generalizing any groups of people by saying this i just think that she thinks her culture is Superior so she is quick to put down other peoples cultures.

i mean...for the love of God at her own wedding her cousins from Romania openly called my boyfriends grandmother/aunts fat Americans ..( they are over weight but still)

They said this to there faces too so it was very rude and it hurt a lot of peoples feelings and it ruined the mood of the reception.

idk.. it just blah

She is not being a b**** to you because she's European - she's being a b**** because she is one...

I live in Switzerland and other than kids being rude to me in school (up to about the sixth grade), the only other people I can currently remember being mean to me about my weight are my dad and one tamil lady I used to work with.

My dad is like that with all people he considers fat or "chubby", but at least he also gives compliments when he sees that someone's lost weight. He's just not one to mince words...

The tamil woman surprised me though - I always used to think she was really nice, kinda the mother-type. Then I bumped into her a couple of years or so after I'd stopped working there, and she was being all sweet and kind, then suddenly she said something along the lines of: "You became fat - what happened? You used to look good."

Anyhoo... I just wanted to let you know that her rudeness is not cultural. Comments like the ones she's made to you would be considered just as rude here. I think it has a lot more to do with upbringing and character than where you are born...

By the way, you are absolutely beautiful!! Just ignore the idiotic things she says and know that she is alone in her opinions. Also, the more things like that she says, the more she's digging her own "grave", so to speak; I mean, who would want to be friends with someone like that? And when she makes those anti-American comments, you could remind her that she CHOSE to move to the States...
  • QngieZ
    QngieZ Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Oh,what's wrong with some people?
    I can't remember something that offensive that upset me much
    There was some of my schoolmates saying they couldnt recognize me(i gained weight in summer before 3rd grade,elementry school)
    Here people don't comment in eachother weights that much(unless we're close enough,and it's by joking)
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    A part of me is spiteful and I want to lose weight because of a rude women who makes snide comments at my weight.

This women is European and she thinks all Americans are fat lazy and uneducated. She married my boyfriend's brother and she would constantly talk about my weight.

One of the craziest things shes ever said to me was when I told her I got a second job. I was so excited to have another source of income because I was really struggling for some time.

instead of congratulating me she said " that's good..gives you less time to eat"

She said this in front of my boyfriend and her husband and they didn't think anything of it. I felt like i had gone insane.

That's horrible. But please do it because you love yourself, not because you hate yourself, or someone else.
    I stopped eating at 14 because of someone's comment and struggled with myself for years and years. Don't let your self worth become dependent on your size, or weight loss become some form of punishment.
    Positive things not negative things :smile:
  • cerumens
    cerumens Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Worst thing said to me ~ I was referred to a surgeon several years ago for evaluation of my abdomen. I was having pain and my doctor was trying to rule out adhesions or a hernia. The surgeon started feeling my stomach and said in a really loud sarcastic voice "It is really hard to feel anything through ALL THAT".

He said this while looking at directly at the nurse that he spent 15 minutes flirting with in my exam room before speaking a word to me.

I was mortified and given that I don't ever, ever visit the doctor unless I am truly in pain was obviously let down by the quality of care.

I should note that at this time I was about 180 pounds and am 5'4". In the big scheme of things I really believe this doctor had to have seen many people with a great deal more "that" than I was carrying at the time.
  • Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    How's this for rude. I was doing a 5k walk with some friend's and one of them said" Just hang a donut in front of her and she'll keep moving"

Needless to say we are no longer friends.
  • QngieZ
    QngieZ Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I mean the only reason I mention she is not native to where we are from is because she does say a lot of rude things about Americans in general and i'm not generalizing any groups of people by saying this i just think that she thinks her culture is Superior so she is quick to put down other peoples cultures.

i mean...for the love of God at her own wedding her cousins from Romania openly called my boyfriends grandmother/aunts fat Americans ..( they are over weight but still)

They said this to there faces too so it was very rude and it hurt a lot of peoples feelings and it ruined the mood of the reception.

idk.. it just blah

She is not being a b**** to you because she's European - she's being a b**** because she is one...

I live in Switzerland and other than kids being rude to me in school (up to about the sixth grade), the only other people I can currently remember being mean to me about my weight are my dad and one tamil lady I used to work with.

My dad is like that with all people he considers fat or "chubby", but at least he also gives compliments when he sees that someone's lost weight. He's just not one to mince words...

The tamil woman surprised me though - I always used to think she was really nice, kinda the mother-type. Then I bumped into her a couple of years or so after I'd stopped working there, and she was being all sweet and kind, then suddenly she said something along the lines of: "You became fat - what happened? You used to look good."

Anyhoo... I just wanted to let you know that her rudeness is not cultural. Comments like the ones she's made to you would be considered just as rude here. I think it has a lot more to do with upbringing and character than where you are born...

By the way, you are absolutely beautiful!! Just ignore the idiotic things she says and know that she is alone in her opinions. Also, the more things like that she says, the more she's digging her own "grave", so to speak; I mean, who would want to be friends with someone like that? And when she makes those anti-American comments, you could remind her that she CHOSE to move to the States...

^This
  • SteelersFan7
    SteelersFan7 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    The kids in my grade school called me Twinkie because I was heavier than all but one girl in my class.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    The next time she says something, use the following line:

"I may be fat but you are ugly. One day I will lose weight and you will still be ugly". You don't appear to be fat, but if she is going to use that phrasing....

Yes, it is a play on Churchill's famous quote! :laugh:
  • karenrich77
    karenrich77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I always remember a doctor who I had never seen before went

'Just forget it, you're way to fat to even bother losing weight, you won't do it without surgery. Let's face it, you're already fat, miserable and going to be a very lonely woman, that I can gurantee'

Well doc, this first 10kg is for you..... and the last 10kg will be for you too :P
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    My mom told me I looked pregnant in a high-waisted dress and my brother asked me if I was "comfortable" at my weight.
  • white__wizard
    white__wizard Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Next time she says an offhanded remark about your weight, compliment her on something. You don't even have to believe it, just compliment her.

It's really hard to do but, it's nearly impossible to insult someone who won't take the insult.
  • MayaDyra
    MayaDyra Posts: 90
    Options
    My ex boyfriend, Rafal, felt my stomach when we were sitting in the park and he said that I need to go to the gym. I said that I had 2 jobs and he said, "I don't care if you have 10 jobs, you have to go to the gym." I found it funny, I wasn't offended because I knew that he liked me in general so I didn't think it was a big deal.

I used to ask my other ex boyfriend, Lukasz, if I need to lose weight. I asked him that every day because I knew my stomach was sticking out. But if he had said yes, I wouldn't have been offended, because I knew that he was fond of me. But sometimes he touched my stomach and said "co to jest?" (what is that) It was funny. He also joked because he knew that I love wearing makeup. In the morning he joked "you're so ugly, not wearing makeup" and then I hid my face and he said "I was joking, you're the most beautiful." Then we both burst out laughing.
  • flupps_
    flupps_ Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The latest one that kind of stuck was at a friend's barbeque. I had just done a few miles of walking during the day and hadn't had a good breakfast, so I was starving and grabbed a second hamburger, and the person next to me blurts out:
    "Must be nice not to care how you look and be able to eat what you want".
  • ashadowreflected
    ashadowreflected Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was told that I looked like a "bulldog with down's syndrome" Even at 70-80 lbs down, I still here that in my head.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I always remember a doctor who I had never seen before went

'Just forget it, you're way to fat to even bother losing weight, you won't do it without surgery. Let's face it, you're already fat, miserable and going to be a very lonely woman, that I can gurantee'

Well doc, this first 10kg is for you..... and the last 10kg will be for you too :P

Good lord, I'd find something weighing 65kg to smack them round the head with it when you've finished.

Ugh. What a tosser.