rudest thing anyone has ever said about your weight?

Options

Replies

• PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Oh, I had a 1984, eggshell white, Jaguar xj6 a few years back, I was driving it one morning and I drove past a house that had roofers doing the roof. They start yelling and whistling, and I looked at them. One of the men yelled back at me something along the lines of, "I was whistling at the car not your fat *kitten*!"
  • PolarPurple
    PolarPurple Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    At one time I outweighed my husband by about 175 lbs. He and I were standing in line to attend an event and my then 13 year old son said, "You look massive next to Dad". Broke my heart and still hurts to this day which is now 18 years later. He doesn't remember, but I will never forget.
  • Jojomotivated
    Jojomotivated Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I remember when I was in 3rd-4th grade and was walking with 2 of my "friends" waaay back then (I was an overweight kid). They were like, "Stick out your stomach like this and let's pretend we're pregnant!" and then they looked at me, "Look! You don't even have to try! hahaha!"

I'm in college now and that still sticks with me.
  • Andyzaa
    Options
    People are horrible. The one that hurt me the most was when my now (EX)boyfriend made fun of me. He was like "run here then" and I replied, "haha, I don't run.." then he replied "Oh thats right, then come jiggle over here then."
    That hurt me really bad but I pushed it off and acted like I didn't hear him.
  • ThinVee
    ThinVee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I got married 3 months after my son way born. I had gained a lot of weight during pregnancy, and even more during breastfeeding. It was the biggest I had ever been! Anyways, sometime after the wedding, my sister/maid of honour told me that I looked like Fiona from the movie Shrek on my wedding day. (And not the thin beautiful princess one. The Ogre.)

She also brought me a pair of my old jeans and said "Since you're too big for these, can I have them?" My husband was right there and couldn't believe his ears.

Then finally after a couple years, I had lost about 70 pounds. I wasn't at my Pre Pregnancy weight yet, but I was close. My brother was getting married, and I dressed up very nice, and felt really good! My mom bought me a pair of pants for the occasion and they were too big (Yay!) And my sister had actually put on some weight. After the photos came back, my sister was looking through them and said multiple times "I can't believe how big I look!!!" then she shoved the photo album in my face and said, "Seriously! I even look bigger than you!" All I could think was, "That's because you are." My husband was once again there for that, and couldn't believe that she would say that. So now I feel really insecure around her.

Don't feel insecure around her, she sounds like a bully. Now that she can't insult your weight she'll just have to find something or someone else to insult. Bullies never change. :(

I know it's just cause she's insecure as well. She's four years older than me and single, while I got married at 18, am still very happily married, and have 3 kids. I try not to get affected by it, but I can still feel it sometimes.

I know how you feel. Even when we know logically we should't listen to other peoples nonsense, it still stings. Hang in there!
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    A trainer (NOT Mine) had the worst comment I worked hard through anorexia and had been given the release by MD to start with gym under supervision and he asked why I was continuing but not full sessions and I had said because I had ED and he said no way could I have anorexia I looked like I could still loose. Ouch I was right where I felt strong and medical team felt was best for me returning to competitive level I was not affected by it just lost all respect for him thankfully. I was in a size 2 and over 52 at the time How stupid
  • marinabreeze
    marinabreeze Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    There's been a lot said about my weight, mostly when I was in my teens thru mid-20s (when I was overweight but not quite obese). Three things stick out in particular:

- My dad harped on my weight a lot as a kid. In retrospect, I wasn't that big - maybe 10 lbs overweight. But I understood it because my dad was morbidly obese and t2 diabetic, and didn't want me to deal with the same issues he did. But one time, I was crying to him about boys (I got rejected a lot as a teen), and he said, "you're pretty, but you'd be even more pretty if you lost weight." That was heartbreaking. I'm 33 and my dad has been dead for 8 years and I still remember that one comment (the only time he ever said anything like that) like it was yesterday.

- In grad school, a male colleague and "friend" once said to me while on a conference trip and out of the blue, "you need to lose weight. You probably have high cholesterol and high blood pressure (I didn't and still don't) and no one will ever want to date you." He went on to say that if I lost weight, "you'll be like those people with excess skin and need surgery to remove it."

- I had a male friend I confided in back in college and grad school. We already had a weird relationship and in retrospect was not very healthy. But the final straw was when we were having a conversation about dating (other people, not each other) and he says, "you need to lower your standards. You're fat so you need to take whatever you can get." I told him we were no longer friends, and he couldn't understand why I was ending it.
  • Neeka_
    Neeka_ Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Gotten the "how many months are you?" Several times, so many I just started saying "I'm just fat, you jerk!"
    But what I always remember most is when on my wedding day, my fiends mother (hairstylist), who I had known for 5 years at the time, was doing my hair and said "you used to be so pretty when you were skinny." Well thanks for telling me I was now ugly on my wedding day. She is one of those types that likes you more when you are thinner, because she is much nicer to me now. Last time I seen her I was dressed up to attend a wedding and she would not stop gushing about how beautiful I looked, even said I looked like a quincenera, I guess meaning I looked so much younger now.
  • BabyWeight710
    Options
    I have two....I was shopping at Sears in the juniors section (I was shopping for my sister) and she told me that I wouldn't find clothes that fit me in that area. She was not nice about it either.

The second was after I lost a good amount of weight but still had a butt and thighs (which now I think is a good thing). A young guy and his girlfriend were walking by and under his breath, he told me to lose weight. I looked back at him like "wtf" and my friend next to me asked me what was wrong. I told her, and she started yelling at him lol. The thing is, I didn't care what he thought, but I couldn't believe his girlfriend just stood by him with a blank look on her face. Can you imagine? I would have been mortified if my boyfriend acted like that. Then my thought was....gosh, I hope she never gains a few pounds. Anyhow, he was a tool...it really didn't bother me like it should have.

On another note, I did have an old man come up to me at Golds, and tell me girls shouldn't sweat like I do lol. I was just starting out jogging, and I sweat a lot when I jog. He didn't like it lol.
  • cookeylady
    cookeylady Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    My mom told you could be so pretty if you lost weight I was 18. :(
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Many years ago when I was actually much lighter I was at a local lake with my sons. A young man, about 15 looked at me and said:" you sure are fat".

I looked at him and replied: "Yes, I know. But the thing is is that I can go on a diet and lose weight. I'm sad for you though, since stupid is forever". I don't think he understood what I was telling him, lol.
  • Jayma375
    Jayma375 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've been heavy the majority of my life so like others in the same situation I have so many I could write a book but the most memorable are:

1) It was 1967 and I was 10 years old at a doctor's appointment. I still remember I was wearing what I thought was a cute little dress. He told my mother and I that I was fat and needed to lose weight and maybe I should get into cheer leading to lose weight. It wasn't long after that I was forced to go to weight watchers, join an old lady's gym. My self esteem was never the same again.

2) My best friend in high school went to Florida for spring break with another girl but didn't invite me to join them and I didn't find out until the day before they were leaving. She made up some stupid excuse why they didn't include me but I was pretty sure it was because I wasn't an attraction to guys.

3) I was in my early 20's and during a job interview I was asked if I was pregnant or just fat. When I told him I wasn't pregnant I got the job. I'm not sure if that question was legal back then but I'm pretty sure it is today and not the fat part but the pregnant question. By the way I only lasted 2 weeks in the job before I quit.

4) In my adult life I've been pretty lucky to not have had people make rude comment (take my mother out of that statement...) but I have noticed that I'm treated differently when I'm heavier.
  • lessbounce
    lessbounce Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    when are you due? I've gotten this a few times in the past. I can't have kids at all either. So thanks for making it that much better.

This :-(
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Oh, one further post on the subject of people who pull out 'fat' as an insult when they can't think of another one to pull out...

When I started seeing my partner, I visited a 'friend' who wanted the details... I showed her a picture, where he was using his laptop on the floor, propped up on his elbows. She immediately labelled him as 'fat'. I reacted with extreme surprise, she said 'yeah, look at the fat there hanging out over his jeans' pointing to where his t-shirt had ridden up a little.

This boy was 28, about 5'6 and under 120lbs (somewhere between 8st-8.5st, with a BMI borderline underweight.

Needless to say, her jealousy showed up in several other ways over the course of the weekend and we are no longer friends!

My point is, people don't pull out the 'fat' insult because you're fat. It's because they're an a---hole that's too stupid to think of anything more creative. *shrug*

so sad, but probably for the better anyway, you don't need someone toxic like that trying to ruin your friendship/relationship with that guy. I think the worst thing someone has said to me about my weight was asking if i was pregnant when I clearly wasn't, some high school B**tches had to make fun of me somehow. oh well, I think people pick on others because their insecure and it makes them feel better about themselves tearing someone else down. at least thats my opinion
  • anna_jewel
    anna_jewel Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I moved to a small town 2 years ago, saw a friend for the first time since the move. Went for dinner and a show, where she mentioned that i had gained weight and looked pregnant- in a laughing voice. I brushed the comment off but am very self conscious about my weight gain.
  • MLowe13
    MLowe13 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My mother has history of ED so she tends to have an f'd up sense of weight and food and its relationship to life.

Once she told my sister who has always been thin and who was 8 months pregnant at the time that it must be terrible to be bigger than her mother. Mom had just lost weight and was wearing a size 6 I think. My pregnant sister was a maternity 7.

About 2 weeks after I left my ex husband because he cheated on me for our whole 3 yr marriage my mother told me I should join Weight Watchers with her. She said I should lose a bunch of weight and show my ex what he is missing. Apparently he wasn't missing anything if I was still fat... That was over 6 years ago and I have since gotten remarried an amazing man but that conversation still hurts. And I put on about 50 lbs after that point which I have since lost but I still have 75 to go and mom always mentions how proud she is of my weight loss...I don't remember the last time she mentioned being proud of any other accomplishments.
  • ElizabethObviously
    Options
    The worst one I had wasn't something someone aid but something they did. I had brought my daughter to the car after shopping. She had accidentally smashed her fingers in the door so I was tending to her her. I look up and see these teenage girls in the car next to me, holding p their phone, filming me. Just staring at me like I was a zoo animal. I HAD been in a good mood. I felt great because I had lost weight at my last weigh in but this just crushed me.

So I got out of the car, walked over to their window and confronted them.

I said "Do you need a close up? I saw you were filming me and figured a close up wold be nice for you." The girl tried to say she wasnt filming me but when someone is holding up their IPhone pointing it straight at you and staring at you, what else cold they be doing?

I hate seeing people who take pictures of other people, or videos. When did that become okay? Oh look someone bleeding after they fell. Take a picture. Oh look a heavy person...take a picture.

That is the worst one but I have had others...Being balled *****, Pig, Fatass by cars driving by. Sure THAT makes me just want to get out of the house and take walks around the neighborhood. It's a catch 22 isnt it? You exercise, get called names for being fat while exercising...Darn if you do, darn it don't I guess.
  • 84reasons2run
    84reasons2run Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hmmm there was the time that I worked at a coffee bar and one of my regular customers who hadn't come in for some time said, "Oh you cut your hair! And you got fat! Why did you do that?" Me-Uhmm what? So he repeats, "You cut your hair! And you got fat. Why did you do that?" I was dumbfounded I don't even think I responded. Most recently I hate the catty one liners like, "You should eat more." "doesn't look like you eat much." Your arms/legs/face-whatever body part-is too this or that. Self acceptance. I'd be lost without it.
  • Ump78
    Ump78 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    My soon to be ex wife said, and I quote, "Why would I want to have sex with you. I don't even want to look at you. You're a big fat pig." I played it off at the time, but I was devastated.

This would really be the best motivation I know of to lose that weight and be sure she sees you with your buff new body!
    Nobody deserves that kind of comment. She has a much bigger problem than weight!!
    I think the results of my lifting speak for themselves. :bigsmile: