how do you maintain good hair

Options
My hair has become nasty dry from all the shampooing after workout...and having to restyle my hair (with heat) so frequently.
Is there any techniques you do that keeps your hair looking good after workout?

Replies

• tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I use Wen cleansing conditioner but if that's too expensive there are other thing you can do. There are hair mask treatment you can do in the shower or out. You can get these at wal-mart, grocery stores, and natural food markets.

I have heard of people combing olive oil, eggs, or mayo into the hair. Letting it soak in, then washing the extra out. There are sites on the internet such as http://www.instructables.com that will give you ingredients and instructions.
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    You could try a dry shampoo. It's basically a powder that you sprinkle onto your hair and it absorbs all the sweat/oil so that your hair doesn't look greasy post workout. That way you wouldn't have to shampoo so often. Pantene also sells a type that is a spray on variety. I've used it a few times but my hair is very fine and flat so it doesn't really help me much...just weights everything down. If you have thicker hair or curly hair it would probably work very well though.
  • KhatLady
    KhatLady Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I "wash" my hair with Baking Soda in distilled water {aka the "No 'poo" method"} and condition with apple cider vinegar in distilled water. It's something I've been doing for about a year and a half. At this point, I only do a "wash" about twice a week. Sometimes 3 if the situation calls for it. I condition with the ACV every day. No issues with icky hair for me, but it's not for everyone.

For people who want to stick with shampoo, I'd suggest the dry shampoo. I'd also suggest not washing the entire length of your hair, it's unnecessary most of the time and just strips and dries out the length. Just wash the scalp and rinse the length with water. You can also get a boar bristle brush {a real one, no synthetic bristles}. They can be expensive but they are fantastic for helping to spread the natural oils from your scalp through the entirety of your hair, which will help protect it. I also gave up my "real" brush {as opposed to the boar bristle, which is more a "finishing brush"} for a bamboo one and that has been a great trade. Normal brushes made my hair very static-y, so I was attracting little bits of lint like there was no tomorrow which caused serious knotting, which lead to lots more breakage from over-zealous brushing. That's become non-existent since using the bamboo brush.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    My waist length, coloured, curly hair became a pest.
    It stopped me doing things because of the maintenance.
    So I changed my hair to suit my lifestyle!
  • MayaDyra
    MayaDyra Posts: 90
    Options
    Yes, it's true that heat is not good for Your hair, can You let your hair dry naturally or use a towel? It usually doesn't take THAT long to dry hair with a towel, like 30 minutes and it's fairly dry.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    if you haven't sweated into your hair too much during the workout, use a shower cap in the shower to keep your hair dry and styled. Washing hair daily isn't healthy for some hair types. If you have sweated into it then maybe the suggestion to use dry shampoo might work.
  • Pamela_in_Progress
    Pamela_in_Progress Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    You could also try a "low poo", sulphate and silicone free shampoo. It won't strip the natural oils from your hair like regular shampoos do and your hair will be more manageable.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    What is your hair type?
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Rub coconut oil all over your hair. Let it sit overnight in a towel.

Wash, rinse, repeat as needed.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't wash every day- I only wash after workouts- and I only use Suave Naturals conditioner.

It gets a heavy wash with real shampoo maybe once a month- usually when I go get it cut.

Coconut oil is a great conditioner- I use it 2-3 x a week as a light coat.
  • FoxWilkinson
    FoxWilkinson Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Dry shampoo is your best friend!

I wash my hair normally twice a week to keep my color and moisture in, and use dry shampoo after my workout most days. the brands Pssssst! and Got 2 Be are decent, and the one from Redkin. I also use Redkin's Diamond Oil once a twice as a moisture and protein treatment (the protein is mostly for my hypothyroid, since it make my hair fall out more, and the protein strengthens my hair).

Also, coconut oil ca work wonders, as AsaThor mentioned above.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Rub coconut oil all over your hair. Let it sit overnight in a towel.

Wash, rinse, repeat as needed.

I'llnsecond this but add, don't get it near the roots or you'll be shampooing about 10 times =D
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Dry shampoo is great for the in between washes. I have thick, straight hair (some waves, that I flat iron out) My hair is very dry so twice a week I use It's a 10 deep hair mask with Keratin. It's expensive but has made a world of difference for me.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I was using dry shampoo for a while but I felt like it was still drying my hair out quite a bit so I stopped doing that and just blow dry my hair without washing after a workout. I mostly sweat at the neckline though so I'm not sure if that works for you if you sweat more in the brow area where it's more noticible.

Your hair type would matter too.
  • angellll12
    angellll12 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Loose curls....waist length

3 c?
    What is your hair type?
  • angellll12
    angellll12 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Thing is ....dry shampoos make my scalp feel itchy
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Don't wash your hair every day - that will make your hair dry/brittle.

Is your hair long enough to put up in a ponytail while you work out?

If it is - than put it up - and work out.

I wash my hair every other day - wear a shower cap on the days you don't wash your hair.

On the days I don't wash my hair, I DO wash my bangs ONLY - keeps them nice and 'fresh'..............easy to do - keep our hair in a ponytail and gather your bangs - use just a tad bit of shampoo.....

ALSO - try sulfate free shampoo - L'Oreal makes a good one, so does Burts Bees..............these are gentle shampoos.......
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Another option would be washing with conditioner.
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of fat. It's the best thing for your hair, nails and skin.

Avocados, coconut oil and cream, flax, hemp hearts, butter, etc etc. I've also heard some people like to do a conditioning treatment once a week of just coconut oil lathered on like conditioner (and then leave it in for 10 mins, and attempt to wash it out), but it will leave your hair looking noticeably greasy for the day.
  • janinehema90
    janinehema90 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I second washing with conditioner, its the only way to keep my curly hair hydrated and frizz free. Just buy a cheap bottle of conditioner like suave or tressemme just for that purpose, when you start to feel build up or dulling then shampoo that day.